Grimoire Support Group

Pongo

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Is anyone else actually playing Grimoire?

I'm running it ok without crashes so far. The graphics are nice and colourful if you like the retro thing. And they're entertainingly animated as well, which I hadn't expected - I got attacked by a load of ferocious killer insects a few minutes ago and the adorable way they made their way onto the screen before eating me was hilarious.

I don't really get it though. Cleve says he's working on a manual over the weekend for publication in beta next week, but on the off-chance he doesn't make that deadline :)))could anyone here help?

So, basics - attributes. I've been tinkering with the pre-made party so far, but I'd ideally like to make my own. I don't get the attributes though. I've attached a picture of the attributes from my favorite eye monster dude (these guys are genius). I'm guessing the attributes are INTelligence, WISdom, WILlpower (?), STRength, CONstitution, AGIlity, SPEed. So far so good. But what are FEL, DEV, MET and DES?

In terms of party balance I guess the usual mix of front-line back-line classes, but some of the classes in Grimoire are unfamiliar (Thaumaturge, Jester etc) - any views on whether they're useful, or general tips for building a good party?

Next - combat. I seem to have a problem with penetration (quiet at the back). I've had a couple of fights that have lasted forever because my dudes succeed in hitting but get a penetration fail and don't do any damage. Presumably certain types of weapons or attack types have higher penetration, or maybe you can improve it through magic, but I haven't managed to quite figure it out yet - can anyone explain? I think it would massively improve my enjoyment of the game if it shortens some of the combat a bit, which is currently taking a looooong time.

Finally, locked doors. You seem to have the choice of forcing it (which hasn't worked for me so far) or "picking the lock", which is a mini-game where you have to answer a riddle with some of the words blocked out. But man, I suck at riddles. Is there any other way to open the doors without keys (eg magic?).

Attachments

• eyedude.png
    eyedude.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 183
Thanks! Do you know (roughly) what they do? Metabolism is for poison resistance etc I guess, but Destiny?

Raising your weapon skill stats and probably relative attributes (DEX-AGI) will improve your penetration chances.
Destiny is a luck-karma att., only appliance i ve known so far is a chance to avoid death.
You can press down the enter key to make combat round almost instant.
Try to have a balanced party with all magic schools covered + alchemy- nature skill (ranger or thaumaturge).
There s a wizard spell that tries to open locks, knock knock.

Game is a Wiz7 on steroids!

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought was going to be a place for sharing, and working through some difficult issues.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought was going to be a place for sharing, and working through some difficult issues.

It may end up that way. :) There are plenty of threads on the Grimoire drama, so hopefully we can focus on the gameplay here.... in which there are definitely difficult issues. The rules are pretty opaque, there are no tooltips, and you've seen the state of the UI! Without a guide or a background in the Wizardry series it's pretty difficult to work out what you're meant to do, at least at first. The more I'm fiddling with it the more sense it making, I think, although there's loads I haven't gotten my head around yet and I'll be getting lost / stuck soon enough.

I thought that this thread is for sharing the pain, anguish, dissapointment, heartache, anxiety, addictions, loneliness, sleeplessness, and damages (both physical and mental) associated with following and playing this piece of sold shareware!

Maybe Cleve can start a charity for himself and others!

I thought that this thread is for sharing the pain, anguish, dissapointment, heartache, anxiety, addictions, loneliness, sleeplessness, and damages (both physical and mental) associated with following and playing this piece of sold shareware!
…!

We could make a "Grimoire Victims Support Group" for that

pibbur who ATM is only slightly affected by the game.

Caring is sharing! :)

I don't really get it though. Cleve says he's working on a manual over the weekend for publication in beta next week, but on the off-chance he doesn't make that deadline :)))could anyone here help?

Who knows when the manual will be complete. It's Cleveland. I suggest discovering stuff on your own, in a game like this that's pretty much half the fun!

So, basics - attributes. I've been tinkering with the pre-made party so far, but I'd ideally like to make my own. I don't get the attributes though. I've attached a picture of the attributes from my favorite eye monster dude (these guys are genius). I'm guessing the attributes are INTelligence, WISdom, WILlpower (?), STRength, CONstitution, AGIlity, SPEed. So far so good. But what are FEL, DEV, MET and DES?

FEL is Fellowship. It's something like Charisma. Females start with a higher score than males. DEV is devotion. I think it determines your spellcasting pool. MET is Metabolism. Determines how long can you go without food. Pure genius. DES is Destiny i.e. like Fate in Wizardry can save you from death. Very cool.

In terms of party balance I guess the usual mix of front-line back-line classes, but some of the classes in Grimoire are unfamiliar (Thaumaturge, Jester etc) - any views on whether they're useful, or general tips for building a good party?

Thaumaturge is similar to Bishop in Wiz8. Jester is one of the advanced classes you can multiclass past level 10. It is also the hardest class to multiclass into and has insane requirements.

general tips for building a good party?

Typically your two frontliners will absorb more than 90% of enemy hits.

Saurian Warrior or Berserker is a good choice seeing how he has 20 NAC and good attributes. I used a Giant too, he has high SYSTEM resist but low AC. Nagas also start with 20 NAC but have some equipment restrictions. I strongly recommend someone with lockpicking (presumably a Thief) and Scouting (Ranger) for those juicy secrets. Sage is a great utility spellcaster and is recommended.

Last edited:
Next - combat. I seem to have a problem with penetration (quiet at the back).

High vitality helps with penetration. If you are tired you won't be able to penetrate jack. Note that sometimes you won't be able to penetrate even if your vitality is at 100% due to how different weapon types and attack types interact with different monsters. I still haven't figured it all out but that's what makes this game awesome, just like the old classics.

I think it would massively improve my enjoyment of the game if it shortens some of the combat a bit, which is currently taking a looooong time.

You can speed up combat by holding down Enter.

Finally, locked doors. You seem to have the choice of forcing it (which hasn't worked for me so far) or "picking the lock", which is a mini-game where you have to answer a riddle with some of the words blocked out. But man, I suck at riddles. Is there any other way to open the doors without keys (eg magic?).

There is a spell called Knock-Knock but you should really have someone with lockpicking in your party.

MET is Metabolism. Determines how long can you go without food.

Cleve has said that food is not implemented in the game. You have a food bar, but it never decreases. He just never got around to getting rid of the bar.

So if Metabolism is how long you can go without food, it's currently a useless stat.

Thanks Luj1! That's all really helpful. I hadn't made the link between vitality and penetration. And a saurian beserker sounds like a good idea.

It's a good thing food isn't implemented. One of my characters literally has an eyeball for a head - I've no idea how he eats…. :)

Cleve has said that food is not implemented in the game. You have a food bar, but it never decreases.

That is true.

This might be a good thread

http://steamcommunity.com/app/650670/discussions/0/1471967615849605441/

Macrocosm93 7 minutes ago said:
5 Step EZ Start Guide For Noobz
1. Start with a 7 character. You want at least 1 slot open to recruit Little Rosy.
2. Start in the Sanctuary and explore it fully. There's some really good items, maps, and a shrine that will give everyone in your party 1000 xp. At least a few of your chars should level off this.
3. Make your way through Crowl and go to Briarpatch Woods which is on the eastern side of Crowl. Crowl is still dangerous at this level so save and rest often.
4. When you enter Briarpatch Woods, Lil' Rosy will pop and talk to you. Recruit her. She's an OP murder hobo with crazy stats and skills that will wreck monsters for you.
5. Clear out Briarpatch Woods and the two low level dungeons in it (Shrine of the Raptor and Aquavia).

Your characters should now be around level 4 and you should have some decent equipment and spells.

Little Rosy is a Feyfolk Thaumaturge so if you don't want to double up on races or classes then don't make a Feyfolk or a Thaumaturge.

Detect Secret is an essential spell. Sages can start off with it but my Wizard was able to learn it around level 3 or so.

Back
Top Bottom