Stardew Valley - 10 Million Copies sold

If I could enslave the whole town, I probably would've played Stardew Valley by now.

Even though the game doesn't appeal to me, it's always nice to see an indie success story. Congratulations to the developer and I hope to see others follow in his steps, success wise.

Not to mention this Concerned Ape fellow must be doing quite well financially, since he did almost every aspect of the game on his own at home.

I remember Farmville, I used to play that on facebook. But about the only thing it has in common with Stardew Valley is that it has a farm in it. It's a bit like saying Xcom is a Space Invaders ripoff because they both have aliens.

But as others have said, Stardew Valley is definitely not an original game. It's basically a westernized version of Harvest Moon, that refines and improves the performance rather than dramatically changing it. It builds on the same gradual but constant improvements as a traditional RPG, but instead of slowly building yourself into a combat powerhouse your slowly building yourself into a farming powerhouse (although there is a combat system too). You level up your skills, go down branching skill trees, get better and better farming gear, etc. I get how some people would have a hard time getting past the farming nature of the game though.

Yeah, but it isn't original at all. There were games just like it on Facebook 10 years ago. Farmville was the first I remember and that was in 2009 I think? To me Stardew Valley was just a non-browser version of all the farm games on Facebook. I think the guy just looted a market that the Facebook crowd had expanded into over time. Smart choice and it made him a multi-millionaire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FarmVille

Um What? It is nothing like farmville...that's just ridiculous....now, you could say it is a lot like harvest moon though.

But as others have said, Stardew Valley is definitely not an original game. It's basically a westernized version of Harvest Moon
The obscurity I've never seen again?

Install Sims 3.
Go gardening, honeyproduction, fishing, prospecting, whatever. Improve your house, sell and buy stuff. Mingle everywhere, get friends, romance and kids. =Profit.
For dungeons, fighting and vineyard sadly you need Sims 3 world adventures expansion.

In other words, Stardew Valley is simplified Sims which is already a western game.
Of course the author won't say it, noone wants lawsuits with EA involved.

Then again, perhaps Sims copied ideas from other games on PC, but I have yet to see those.

Note also that I didn't say install Sims 4 - because it's not openworld unlike it's predecessor. Stardew Valley is.

In other words, Stardew Valley is simplified Sims which is already a western game.
Of course the author won't say it, noone wants lawsuits with EA involved.

The problem with that is: Sims 3 was released 13 years after Harvest Moon. Even Sims 1 was released 4 years after Harvest moon.

Sorry, I really don't remember seing any product named Harvest Moon on my PC ever but I'm being tortured by repeated mentioning it, I wish I can remove it from my memory.

I also never played Sims 1 nor know when it was released. I did play Sims 2, but that one is not really openworld although you may "hack" it to look like one.

I get that you enthusiastically try to ignore everything that is console, but that does not invalidate the facts of where the inspiration comes from. You don't have to like or even play a game to acknowledge its existence and impact.

Not to mention this Concerned Ape fellow must be doing quite well financially, since he did almost every aspect of the game on his own at home.

Money is being put back in a new, innovative vid product this time. This is called investment, growth economy and all.

Sorry, I really don't remember seing any product named Harvest Moon on my PC ever but I'm being tortured by repeated mentioning it, I wish I can remove it from my memory.

I also never played Sims 1 nor know when it was released. I did play Sims 2, but that one is not really openworld although you may "hack" it to look like one.

Now you know how we feel when we reed your posts like this...

I think, we can safely establish that Eric is now a millionaire.

I've also not bought this one to date, but I've heard nothing but praise from at least three mates about it. Congrats on making a well selling product!

I was unable to buy this game after I checked out the trailer and saw it haz No Alienz and No Gangzta StarShip Trooperz and no tactical wombat!!

Money is being put back in a new, innovative vid product this time. This is called investment, growth economy and all.

I call that an Indexed RRSP. But i'm sure he's got plenty for both.

I get that you enthusiastically try to ignore everything that is console, but that does not invalidate the facts of where the inspiration comes from. You don't have to like or even play a game to acknowledge its existence and impact.

I don't think people quite get Joxer's context. You can basically attach this GIF to all his posts:

giphy.gif

It's great for trainrides. Runs on almost any laptop.
I brought the fishing skill up to 10, cleared the dungeon, restarted and did the same thing again. After doing that a few times I noticed that the content I liked the least was farming.

Guess I just loved the grindy aspect that reminded me of some RPGs. :biggrin:

I don't think people quite get Joxer's context. You can basically attach this GIF to all his posts:

giphy.gif
First lemme get up, I dropped off my chair… :)

But man, I wish that particular animated gif was possible as avatar.

That aside. I know I did say many times, but some deliberately ignore it.
Buy Sims 3 and only one it's expansion: Sims 3 world adventures. These are both frequently on sale.
Play. Then return and tell me it's not Stardew Valley on steroids.

Play. Then return and tell me it's not Stardew Valley on steroids.

I played Sims 3. I had a garden and I grew plants. And no, it was nothing like Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley.

Back
Top Bottom