Torchlight III - Announced

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Max Schaefer announces Torchlight III formerly Torchlight Frontiers. He explains why they ditched free-to-play and microtransactions to a fixed price:

Announcing - Torchlight III

Thanks Lemonhead!

More information.

Max Schaefer announces Torchlight III formerly Torchlight Frontiers. He explains why they ditched free-to-play and microtransactions to a fixed price:

Awesome news! Just replayed Torchlight II on the Switch (great port BTW) and thrilled for this one! As a ‘pay to win’ I was likely going to skip it, but as a premium I am all over it!

So they scrapped the F2P microtransaction online idea? About time actually as I never liked it. So one final question will it still be an online only game? If so meh.

Last edited:
So they scrapped the F2P microtransaction online idea? About time actually as I never liked it. So one final question will it stilk be an online only game? If so meh.

He didn’t specifically say one way or the other - but based on some comments I read around, it looks like it will have online multiplayer but also single player offline gameplay as well.

The game nobody asked for!
(don't mean to dump on anyone, but I don't get the attraction of yet another TL game)

The game nobody asked for!
(don't mean to dump on anyone, but I don't get the attraction of yet another TL game)

You say this, but don't call out the avernum series? come on now....I will like this game...

Played the alpha of Torchlight Frontiers, wasn't fun like Torchlight 1 & 2. Some of the new classes (please keep the Railmaster out of T3) and features were interesting, but overall wasn't enjoyable. I am curious to see what changes they make for Torchlight 3.

Answer to the online/offline question.
From the Torchlight 3 website FAQ:
Q: Will the game be always-online?
A: No. Players have the option to create online or offline characters. Online characters can only be played online, in order to ensure a cheat free experience for everyone participating in the connected game. Offline characters can be played without an internet connection.

OMG! Torchlight III. will be Turn Based Tactical? OMG!!

Max successfully dug himself into a pension position and he is essentially explaining why his pension is justified to come from the Torchlight IP. Smart Man! :D

OMG! Torchlight III. will be Turn Based Tactical? OMG!!

Max successfully dug himself into a pension position and he is essentially explaining why his pension is justified to come from the Torchlight IP. Smart Man! :D

haha - yeah, well, imagine the realization that not only have you alienated and lost your established fan base, but your new product is failing to win over a new fanbase you hoped would bring you loads of money. So maybe the best thing is to try to come across as a 'hero' for your old fans.

Then again - I have been a fan of his stuff since 'Fate' ... sure it is a slow evolution from Fate through Torchlight II, but each game is better than the last, and I have fun for relatively little money.

You say this, but don't call out the avernum series? come on now….I will like this game…
I can't tell if this is serious. I never, *never* miss a chance to trash Spiderweb and that one game they've been released for the last hundred years.

For me Torchlight is a cartoon Diablo-lite.

It was even made by an ex-Blizzard employee.

Anyway glad to see the online part is optional now.

Last edited:
The graphic style is just too repelling - never played the previous Torchlight games because of it.

I will pass. ARPGs bore me sooner than later. If there are any online shenanigans they can keep anyway.

I enjoyed Torchlight the first time, but then it became same old same old. I'll pass as well. It's probably more enjoyable for people not yet burned out on rogue-likes and blobbers. The pet was a good idea though.

Back
Top Bottom