The TV Series discussion thread

Well to me the Galactica remake was brilliant. They took all the silly out of the original and put in some fine dramatic and believable sci fi writing. OTHO, the show was just too intense and by the second season it was kind of a chore to watch the goings on. It might actually be better as a binge watch because you don't have to wait a week to follow the story.

I've said this before, but I loved the mini-series and the first 2 seasons of BSG. And for the record, it was miles beyond the original. :)

However, I thought it really took a nosedive in the 3rd season when they stopped focusing on the Human-Cylon conflict as much and instead had a bunch of episodes centered on individuals in a soap opera like manner.

Then it got even worse in the 4th season with all the quasi-religious stuff. At that point, it stopped being a serious science fiction series and became more of a weird science fantasy story. I always wondered if they had a major change in the writing staff because of how different it had become, but I never bothered to look it up.

I've said this before, but I loved the mini-series and the first 2 seasons of BSG. And for the record, it was miles beyond the original. :)

However, I thought it really took a nosedive in the 3rd season when they stopped focusing on the Human-Cylon conflict as much and instead had a bunch of episodes centered on individuals in a soap opera like manner.

Then it got even worse in the 4th season with all the quasi-religious stuff. At that point, it stopped being a serious science fiction series and became more of a weird science fantasy story. I always wondered if they had a major change in the writing staff because of how different it had become, but I never bothered to look it up.
100% agree. I recently starting a rewatch of the show, and loved season 1 and 2, but somewhere in season 3 it just dropped, I couldn't continue watching.

Agreed, the final couple of seasons of the reboot of Galactica really dropped in the quality department, but they were still superior to a lot of other television. The mini series and the first two seasons were exceptional though, still are and always will be.

With all the hype about season 2 of Westworld I decided to give season 1 another chance. I quit when the lab/host plot line became too stupid for me, but I decided…
Maybe the lab technician is an unknown host, that would help explain the stupidity of his actions
so I watched until the last episode and nope, no such luck, it really was a stupid plot line, so forget it, not watching season 2.

There were actually 2 plot lines masterfully weaved in the season one series.

The other thing that surprised me about this show was when they have tv/movies telling stories where the plot line is continually repeated due to some time/temporal malfunction, I usually tire of the repeated set pieces and dialogues. But Westworld came off making it seem fresh every time. By not being in the same place on the re-run, or just being a little off the action, or told from a different character perspective, it all seemed fresh every time. Big time Kudos.

Sadly, as much as I loved season 1, I no longer watch weekly TV shows, so Westworld season 2, will have to wait for a couple months.

Sadly, as much as I loved season 1, I no longer watch weekly TV shows, so Westworld season 2, will have to wait for a couple months.
I do watch some shows weekly where stories are partially standalone and don't have silly cliffhangers in every single episode, for example Supernatural.
Where it's one story split throughout 10ish episodes, I wait till it's the show is completely available.

We started on season 2 of ‘Santa Clarita Diet’, pretty uneven but fun and light ‘zombie-family-comedy’ sort of thing. Not sure it is worth actively pursuing ... but for us in the void left by ‘Grace & Frankie’ it works well on nights we’re not up for the seriousness of ‘Handmaid’s Tale’.

We started on season 2 of ‘Santa Clarita Diet’, pretty uneven but fun and light ‘zombie-family-comedy’ sort of thing. Not sure it is worth actively pursuing … but for us in the void left by ‘Grace & Frankie’ it works well on nights we’re not up for the seriousness of ‘Handmaid’s Tale’.

I get all the zombie comedy from iZombie, totally recommended.

Is that related to Apple in some way? :biggrin: zombie with an iPod? Or an army of them? *the horror*

You'll have to ask the comics creators about the origin of the name, as the series is an adaptation of the comics. But nope, nothing to do with Apple.

Oh, when I look at all the people walking around fixated on the iphones, it totally reminds me of Zombies!! :)

Still watching Ministerio del Tiempo on Netflix, season 3. Man I'm loving this show, I hope it turns into like the Spanish Doctor Who, having survived some character rotations perhaps it'll be like Doctor Who, where Doctors and companions last 3-4 seasons and then new ones come, but the idea remains. Spain has a very long history so there is potential for the show to tackle new eras and events for many years.

Started to watch a marathon of Mindhunter on Netflix since the first 3 episodes were pretty damn good (directed by David Fincher) but, man, did that show quickly turn to shit by the middle of the first season. One more I can scratch off and sniff then wash my fingers.

Oh, when I look at all the people walking around fixated on the iphones, it totally reminds me of Zombies!! :)

isolation.png

Bosch. Based on the Michael Connelly novels.
Season One

I loved the novels (around 20 thus far/ read most of them) for a number of reasons, but one of the main ones is due to the fact I used to live in the area the LAPD detective lives in. He lived in the Hollywood Hills and I lived just below it. The reason the fictional detective was able to afford the house was that they made a movie out of one of his exploits. And he got screen and advisor credit and pay. Nice. Bosch is not Sherlock but he is smart and dogged in his approach to solving crimes. He's a little loose with the rules, but he is a straight up guy and probably hates the bureaucracy a little more than most people. It makes for some righteous conflict. In the latest novels he is no longer with the LAPD but working as a part time detective in San Fernando. He's making ends meet by doing a little PI stuff. His brother is Mickey Haller, a PI working out of his Lincoln... and the star of about 5 other novels (and a movie). Connely is a good writer and very good at getting into a characters head with logical interior/mind dialogue.

So I binged on the first season of Bosch. 3 days, 10 episodes.
Can I say Gothic 4 . . .
Interesting police show with the same set dressings as the novel but this is not the same character in the book. I love Harry Bosch in the novels, the guy in the TV show is a jerk. Also they started the series near the middle of the novels. Some big time characters are going to be dying off pretty soon if they stick to the books.

Also infuriating was that there are two pivotal events that are poorly staged and you forcibly have to suspend belief just so the story can move on. And there is s subplot about a side romance that is overly developed that slowed down the pace way too much . . . remote to the rescue.

So Season 2 . . . no way. However Bosch latest novel will be out in October

I saw s1 ep1/ep2 but none of the others. Is there an easy way to watch all of them (I have amc but amc vod seems to only provide the latest show); or should I just bite the bullet and buy the blu-ray. Conversely is it really bad later on and i hsould just skip it ?

I started watching Into The Badlands.

If you enjoy martial arts movies and like post-apocalyptic worlds with some light fantasy, then this might be for you. The acting is pretty mediocre, especially in the first season. It does get better in season 2, but is not amazing. I think it's a fun show if you aren't watching anything else at the minute, but if you are not a fan of the above elements, I cannot recommend it.

Check netflix, vudu, direct tv, amazon, itunes, most should have it available for some cheap $. You can also try amc's app for phones - should have all episodes available. Of course run that silly app through nox or bluestacks, who normal would watch something on crappy 5ish inch display.

I didn't even try. For all I could understand that show requires killing off a significant part of braincells before watching and although I'm martial arts fan, sorry, but just as with games if story doesn't exist or sux, get off my lawn. Asian soaps excluded, ofc. ;)
Maybe I'm wrong though, but that was what I've heard about season 1.

Last edited:
The paid price is the same as just buying the blu-ray. I checked amc website but it only allowed playing the most recent episode.

Check netflix, vudu, direct tv, amazon, itunes, most should have it available for some cheap $. You can also try amc's app for phones - should have all episodes available. Of course run that silly app through nox or bluestacks, who normal would watch something on crappy 5ish inch display.

I didn't even try. For all I could understand that show requires killing off a significant part of braincells before watching and although I'm martial arts fan, sorry, but just as with games if story doesn't exist or sux, get off my lawn. Asian soaps excluded, ofc. ;)
Maybe I'm wrong though, but that was what I've heard about season 1.

Are you saying although you have amc subscription it still wants to charge you per episode?
What kind of s… is that? No wonder their service is avoided by many.

Anyway, if very good martial arts with rich, fat and not silly story is something you need, I have to suggest Nirvana In Fire. This one is available legally on Rakuten Viki (freebie with advertisments):
https://www.viki.com/search?q=nirvana in fire
Note also that while imdb is as usual ignorant and states this is just drama, it's according to mydramalist a mix of genres: Historical, Romance, Drama, Martial Arts, Tragedy, Political.
Remember when I got mad because stupid imdb does not have tragedy tag? Yea, well, some others probably heard me.

I didn't watch the second season which is supposed to happen 50 years after the first one. Yet.

Last edited:
No - i can watch the most recent show for free; a subscription might give me access (don't know) but at the price point i'm better off buying the blu-ray.

Are you saying although you have amc subscription it still wants to charge you per episode?
What kind of s… is that? No wonder their service is avoided by many.

Anyway, if very good martial arts with rich, fat and not silly story is something you need, I have to suggest Nirvana In Fire. This one is available legally on Rakuten Viki (freebie with advertisments):
https://www.viki.com/search?q=nirvana in fire
Note also that while imdb is as usual ignorant and states this is just drama, it's according to mydramalist a mix of genres: Historical, Romance, Drama, Martial Arts, Tragedy, Political.
Remember when I got mad because stupid imdb does not have tragedy tag? Yea, well, some others probably heard me.

I didn't watch the second season which is supposed to happen 50 years after the first one. Yet.

At the same site you can watch also Six flying Dragons.

Back
Top Bottom