Black Geyser - Review @ Mortismal Gaming

Played the prologue yesterday no bugs yet, and it's not bad. Yes it's a clone of BG that's a given. You also have to get familiar with a few strange design decisions though.

Played the prologue yesterday no bugs yet, and it's not bad. Yes it's a clone of BG that's a given. You also have to get familiar with a few strange design decisions though.

Do you mean the greed aspect to the game? I played the demo and thought it was good enough to play. Not high on my list but something I want to play when I need something different or new.

No not the greed system even though it makes looting pointless. I'm talking about bad gui/ui design. The inventory, quest log, and crafting needs more work or a redesign.

A friend of mine is playing it. He said that besides some random load crashes, it's very similar to pillars of eternity.

14 hours in here & no major complaints as yet. There's some really juicy rogue talents in this game which take an hour or two to practice, something the speeders might be missing.

A friend of mine is playing it. He said that besides some random load crashes, it's very similar to pillars of eternity.

Eh? It's similar in that it's a party-based game that uses an isometric camera and RtwP combat. I wouldn't say the style of the world or characters are similar, and the production values aren't on the same level.

Eh? It's similar in that it's a party-based game that uses an isometric camera and RtwP combat. I wouldn't say the style of the world or characters are similar, and the production values aren't on the same level.

More like PoE was what I weas hoping for and not the feel I got at all. Morel ike BG but with crafting and its own non-D&D but still Vancian casting limits magic and combat system

I'm quite impressed after watching that video. For such a small studio it is really quite impressive what they have produced. Remember that they had less than 10% of the people compared to Owlcats for Kingmaker.

I'm not having any issues with the UI at this point in time.

The intention was definitely to make the Greedy playthru viable, not some tacked on thing.

I'll read the link when I've completed it, I'm trying my hardest to avoid spoilers at the moment, so don't want to see spoilers while I look for brief UI bullet points.

There's quite a gulf between a UI with nitpicks and a UI that is just bad. At this moment in time I do not consider it a bad UI, but it's still early days in my run, relatively speaking.

I found the game quite enjoyable as long as you're not comparing it to games with much bigger teams. It's definitely worth the asking price; at least when I bought it in EA. Not sure if it went up. There are weaknesses (multiclass being the worst) but it's fine overall.

Now I remember why I never finished the demo. You have to kill a non-hostile innocent fox for a quest. I stopped at that point hoping they would provide another alternative. Reviews on steam indicate they didn't.

Aside from that hope the game does well enough for them to make some profit as the game isn't bad for its class.

What's the problem here?

Gonna grab a fanboi's response since he's pro BGCoD most all the time, I will edit it a bit for clarity:

InEffect 3 days ago | reply
problem with multiclassing is you generally get less than the sum of the two classes. And gear restrictions are weird with no clear pattern apart from testing on what will work. Answering the question - you do end up with a 20/20 character if you can find enough XP. Problem is finding 20/20 build that would be worth it. They all give up something important with the low point buy. Like fighter/cleric can't use either large blades or poles, so they are limited to staves if they want to do any damage whatsoever. And the rest are even worse in that regard. But above-mentioned fighter/cleric is almost the only worthwhile multiclass out there as far as soloing goes. I'll need to finish the fully-released game to get the proper stat spread on it, though. Poked about yesterday a bit, but I need to see all the new gear to finalize it.
Maybe some triple class with fighter/thief/spellweaver could also work somewhat with medium armor and shield, but that's way weaker in the damage department
The main problem you will run into is stat allocation. Even with gear it's a bit problematic to fit in everything you might want and even more importantly - get there in one piece.
Also, don't overthink it. It's easy to solo ironman the game on courier if you know what you are doing.

So yeah, things did change a bit since EA. I will get to updating stuff once my run is done, so I don't need to do it over. Mainly they did change the multiclassing rules a bit, but the exact inner workings are a bit confusing since the game is not exactly transparent on the rules there. I probably won't bother poking at working out exactly how it operates and will just dev console test ones that I think have any potential

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom