The Mandate - Dead in the Water?

Of the 50 plus games I have supported on Kickstarter, only two have failed. I have about 15 games outstanding and only two look to be on life support but both have posted recent updates (Bloom & Arakion)

I thought Mandate looked like a sure bet, but I was not following development and had no idea they were moving away from single player. I do not fund multiplayer efforts on Kickstarter.

EuroVideo was the game's publisher, and they're still in business. The backers are never going to see a single dime of their money returned to them, but the people who pre-ordered the game should try contacting EuroVideo about a refund.

edit: This page is still accepting pre-orders for the game, sent via PayPal to Perihelion Interactive. Since Perihelion Interactive has officially closed its doors, leaving that site up is really scummy.

And the pre-orders on that site are officially declared as "Donations", so you can't get a refund on those orders either.

That's interesting. Don't misunderstand me, though - I quite agree that no-ones getting their money back. My soapbox is just that I think that many kickstarters play far too loose with backer money, and don't take very seriously their obligations to those people. And, ultimately, that's not because I've been stung (I've never backed a failed KS), but that I can see the chilling effect the erosion of trust has had on aspiring new projects seeking public support.

Is there an unwritten rule that states when a game's pre-orders should switch from being "rewards in exchange for donations" (unrefundable) to "purchases" (refundable by law)?

Or do most developers just take donations for as long as possible? Are there companies that sell their pre-orders as donations after their game has already launched?

The most annoying thing for me is when you back a game expecting it to be one thing and it turns out to be something your rather dead set against. Even released games have this problem through. I won't buy games with loot boxes in them but they get added to some games post release. If you have already bought the game your rather stuck with it aka Rocket League.

As someone said on their soon to be closed forums, would have been nice if they had at least turned over the art, music and other assets to the backers who paid for them. It would have been something, however small. But no.

Looks like the people speculating that the game's website and forums would be shutting down shortly (because the domain was expiring) were wrong. Domain just got renewed and expires 8/19/2018 now...

Issue has never been the website but the fact than the studio developing the game, Perihelion Interactive, has closed down the 30/06/2017.
So maybe someone has taken all the assets and goes on developing, or maybe the publisher, who still exists will go on too, but for the moment there is nothing but an empty website without a game behind.

Again, there is no pleasure in this failure, I was a backer.

I never meant to imply that the "issue" was the website, or anything else in particular. Just noticed that the speculation was wrong, and figured it was interesting enough to mention.

Trying to be positive: Perhaps they are discussing IP rights and can't say anything yet because of that?
Anyway, the game certainly had scope creep. They might have fared better in sticking with their original ideas in order to get the game out and work on the additional stuff in a follow up.

Even their original idea was ridiculously ambitious compared to the amount of money they asked for, though.

Waving the magic nerco wand.:biggrin:

thread_necro.gif

I found this information about the project from 2019.

After not paying me the money he owed me for my 6 months of work on @mandategame he emailed me saying they were going to pay me and then promptly disappeared off the planet.

Isn't that right, @MatsukoCompany?

Not like they have any twitter presence to leverage by tagging them but if you're unfamiliar with the horror story that was The Mandate, here you go.

There have been a few posts running around about crunch and about Game Dev horror stories and this one won't be new to many of you so here we go.

In December of 2016, something was very wrong at Perihelion Interactive / Matsuko.

For 3 years I broke my back working on The Mandate with a lot of people who I have a ton of respect for. We had deadlines, milestones, things to do and we got them done. Over 1000 individual assets.

Since Matsuko is in Slovakia, they were several hours ahead of us, and the end result for me was that I was never "off the clock". I would get messages all times of the day and I would work on whatever needed to get done in an effort to make sure we were making the best game we could.

I believed the people who were in charge had the best of intentions, and that they were striving to build something fantastic.

But after spending years making art and struggling to meet the schedule that had been presented to us, an ever increasing scope of work; 9 factions, 6 military branches, 5 ship classes. 4 planetary types, 3 unit types per faction and 1 massive space station per faction, people started to leave and they were unhappy. But I believed the game was going to be great and that we were making something that would be talked about for years. We had started talking about expansions.

And then payments started coming in late. My art director at the time talked about it like this: "A late payment is like a cat, you can have a cat. But if you have 5 cats? That's a lot of cats."

The game would be great. I knew it.

In September of 2016 Matus, the CEO of Matsuko asked me if I wanted to come to Slovakia with my art director for 3 months and I jumped at the opportunity. I made so many friends but the payments were late still. Lots of payments. $8,000 that was just up in the air.

During one meeting my art director passed me a sticky note covered in drawings of cats. Dozens.

He was gone within a week and all that was left was me. They asked me to stay. To come back and work at Matsuko permanently. And because our game was going to be great I agreed.

After 3 months I went home. I expected to come back. We were art complete and we would finish the game and it would be amazing.

I never returned to Slovakia and I remember speaking with Matus on the phone when he said it was over. And I remember calling my mom and sobbing on the phone because I didn't know what I was going to do. There was no game. It would never be released. We were 100% art complete and 30% feature complete. The game was never going to be finished.

It's taken me years to financially recover and I still have that drawing my AD drew of the cats and what each of them took from me.

It took $8,000 from me. A job offer from Telltale, an offer from Hi-Rez, it cost me my relationship, it took 4 years from my career.

And they suffered no repercussions. Matus and Matsuko are still in business and they got away Scott-free without a single fuck for the people they took advantage of or the fact that they damaged the lives of so manv devs.

Yep, and I ALMOST forgot about it. ;)

Sigh I'm pretty sure I backed this one as well....damn.

Back
Top Bottom