Need some Dying Light 1 help/advices

I finished The Following last night.

Overall, it's great. I think I even liked it a little more than the base game. The level design is really good, and it had more memorable locations. The buggy is a nice addition to the gameplay.

I logged 128 hours between Dying Light and The Following. I usually start getting burned-out on any game by then, but I could have kept playing. For me, it's the best of the genre. Days Gone is close, but Dying Light is still king.

I finished The Following last night.

Overall, it's great. I think I even liked it a little more than the base game. The level design is really good, and it had more memorable locations. The buggy is a nice addition to the gameplay.

I logged 128 hours between Dying Light and The Following. I usually start getting burned-out on any game by then, but I could have kept playing. For me, it's the best of the genre. Days Gone is close, but Dying Light is still king.
That's some decent hours. I got near 100 hours playing solo, and then another 67 hours in co-op.
Much easier to get through the challenging parts when you've got back-up. We even cleared out all of the Volatile nests in The Following! Unfortunately, the main game and DLC force you to play the climax separately, and even then it bugged out for one of us each time.

Alas, the sequel has no vehicles that the player can drive. At least, not yet.

The only thing I didn't like was the final battle which was pure bullshit. That, and how you're constantly getting attacked by Virals (the runners) once you reach higher levels.

I did every side quest in both games and maxed out the three main skill trees except for Survival where I was missing 1 level. The only thing I didn't do was the challenges.

We even cleared out all of the Volatile nests in The Following!

Talk about some tense moments! There was one in particular I really liked that you had to enter from an underwater cave off the coast. Then there was the one in the train tunnel that you could destroy by arming a bomb that's in there. Of course I didn't find the bomb until I had already killed all but 1 of the Volatiles the old-fashioned way.

Talk about some tense moments! There was one in particular I really liked that you had to enter from an underwater cave off the coast.
Ah yes, I remember that one fondly (fondly? might be the wrong word for such a stress inducing location)
Yeah, the end battle (if you choose it) sucks. I don't think I've liked the end game in any of the Dying Lights (not even the new one).

So you've already finished Dying Light 2? How does it measure up to the first game in your opinion?

It'll be awhile before I get to DL2 since I'm probably going to play both Elex II and Elden Ring first. It basically came down to which of the three got patched first, and Elex II won that race.

I didn't come close to finishing Dying Light 2 and likely never will but I played it for long enough to know that the first game (and expansion) are much better.

So you've already finished Dying Light 2? How does it measure up to the first game in your opinion?
It's definitely worth playing - in some respects it's not as good as DL1 (e.g., night time isn't near as thrilling), but in other ways it's a vast improvement (e.g., story-based C&C, vertical exploration).
Definitely better than, say, the Dead Island series, but whether or not you like it better than DL1 will be based on how much you accept the changed focus. It's set 30 years after the first one, so it's more about living with the undead long-term, and almost all the action is in a built-up city.

The first few sectors can get a bit boring but once the sky scraper areas open up things get a lot more interesting, exploration wise. There are plenty of areas where you have to think a bit about how to traverse them. Some require certain travelling tools to have been unlocked, but with some of them you just have use your brain a bit for a workaround. It's like the climbing bits in some of the Far Cry games, but ramped up to the max.

There are several new areas that appear later on in the map (unlocked via the story) that are more open, but a lot of those are contaminated, so they don't feel as open as The Following as far as ability to wander around goes. I'm hoping there's a DLC with a more open outside area like in the prologue of the game, because at the moment it doesn't have the variety of landscape that DL1 has.

One thing that has been very much improved is the many indoor complexes that you can explore. A lot of them are "best" explored at night, when the worst of the undead have vacated (much like the Volatile nests in DL1), but I found it fun when I got more powerful to explore when the biggest of bads were there.

Where DL1 just had small safe areas you could take over and unlock, this one has a heap of things you can unlock: windmill towers - shades of Far Cry towers here (creates a safe area and small base with shops), nightrunner safe areas (small safe area, often in a hard-to-get place), water towers or electrical substations (often complex puzzle to unlock, then you decide which of the factions the area is assigned to), subway stations (sometimes Renegades, sometimes zombies, creates a safe area and a fast travel node), Renegade bases (large) …

In terms of story, there is way way more than in DL1. Also, this time a decent number of quests have a choice that makes a difference later on (e.g., if you spare a certain character he appears in a couple of quests later on, that sort of thing), and what you did at certain points determines what endings you get, much like the Fallout games. The choices with consequences are marked in dialog by a crossroads symbol.
The story is decent enough, EXCEPT for when you discover the motivation of the main antagonist. It's pathetic.

Also annoying to me is that just like all the previous games by the developer, this ones doesn't have multiple save slots per game. There are plenty of instances where I'd like to be able to go back and see what the other choice resulted in, but you can't without starting all over again. Except for after the ending, where you can continue from a point just before the point of no return (about 4 hours gameplay from the end), and the game will scale everything to your level.

I took about 60 hours to finish the game, but there are a heap of unexplored "?"
marks on the map, a few safe areas, and a few "!" quests as well (not counting challenges, which I don't care about), so I haven't finished with the game entirely.

Oh, I suppose I should address the voice acting that the esteemed JFarrell71 esquire doesn't like.
Mostly, there is nothing wrong with the voice acting. This developer isn't known for being excellent in that area, but even so, it's better than many games that I like quite a lot (I suspect I have lower standards as far as this sort of thing goes).

The one exception: the voice of the Renegades. Every single one of them as this awful sneery voice like Freddy Krueger before his balls dropped. Cringey as fuck. It stood out for me because all the other voices I thought were pretty good/realistic.

The one exception: the voice of the Renegades. Every single one of them as this awful sneery voice like Freddy Krueger before his balls dropped. Cringey as fuck. It stood out for me because all the other voices I thought were pretty good/realistic.

Haha, yeah. Even though as you say I didn't think the voice acting was good in general (some of the worst kids I've ever heard in a game, for example), the Renegades did stand out. It's so bad that the first time I heard them I thought the game was taking the piss.

@Shagnak; Thanks for all the details.

It sucks that they stuck with the same 1-slot auto-save system, but I guess that's to be expected at this point.

Other than that, it sounds really good for the most part.

*Edit* I'll probably make save backups when I play it like I did with DL1. It's a PITA, but it could let someone experiment with the C&C if they wanted. I was able to do both endings in The Following that way.

Last edited:
I regard the Save System in DL1 as one of the worst ones I've ever seen in an open world game. I never know for sure where Crane will next appear when I load my game.

Sometimes he appears in The Slums when I last quit the game in Old Town (and vice-versa), and even when the game loads Crane in the correct district, he doesn't appear in the nearest base from where I last left, which would be a more logical decision. Not to mention those times when my game loads him in Hellraid DLC when in fact he was previously in Old Town. Go figure!!

DL1 save system is needlessly confusing and complicated. I don't know if this was properly addressed in the sequel; a pity if it was not. :(

Last edited:
Sometimes he appears in The Slums when I last quit the game in Old Town (and vice-versa), and even when the game loads Crane in the correct district, he doesn't appear in the nearest base from where I last left, which would be a more logical decision. Not to mention those times when my game loads him in Hellraid DLC when in fact he was previously in Old Town. Go figure!!

It's even worse in The Following where things are more spread out. There are only a few places that count as home bases, and the game always puts you at one of those upon loading a save. I've loaded games and been more than halfway across the map from where I left off. It's a good thing that buggy is fast. :)

They just released a new patch for Dying Light 2 that improves the visuals and adds some new optional filters that change the overall look a bit. They also added more infected in a lot of places which was a questionable decision imo.

Still playing it. I don't know how Shanak finished it in 60 hours. I'm at 65 and just got the grappling hook. I've wasted quite a bit of time on optional quests though.

Good game that unfortunately starts off slow and stays that way for far too long.

Still playing it. I don't know how Shanak finished it in 60 hours. I'm at 65 and just got the grappling hook. I've wasted quite a bit of time on optional quests though.
Yeah, I left quite a few optional quests on the board, which I might do some soon now that the first proper DLC has a release date (Oct 14th).
Might try some different approaches/set-ups too. I've been concentrating on being a bit of tank, using 2 handed weapons and the occasional arrow to soften things up.

Yeah, I left quite a few optional quests on the board, which I might do some soon now that the first proper DLC has a release date (Oct 14th).
Might try some different approaches/set-ups too. I've been concentrating on being a bit of tank, using 2 handed weapons and the occasional arrow to soften things up.
Well, the optional quests for the most part are pretty average. I'm enjoying the main storyline though, and the amount of C&C has surprised me. I just finished the quest where you climb VNC tower to set up the transmitter, and I was genuinely torn on who to side with at the end of that one.

Just wait till you get to finish the game and get another Techland crappy ending. ;p

Back
Top Bottom