Darklands - RPS Retrospective

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Rock, Paper, Shotgun pens a retrospective review of the 1992 classic Darklands, in which they call it "one of the best RPGs ever made". Thanks, GameBanshee.

Darklands.jpg

I could say it’s because the setting is original and unique, which it is. It’s a largely realistic depiction of greater Germany in the 15th century, with scores of towns, authentic currency, and even time itself based on literally canonical hours. “RTFM” is a cliché, but here a fair warning, as that kind of detail makes for a daunting opening. It is fortunately a lovely one, from that line of 90s manuals that featured a completely unnecessary educational section, with a full bibliography. Don’t say games never taught me anything, Mum.

I could also say it’s the absence of levels, XP, and over-abstracted stats, which are cast out entirely in favour of characters defined by dozens of skills, and progression that ebbs and flows with your success and misfortune. While better quality equipment helps in a fight, it’s choosing the right tool that matters most. There’s no comparison of every sword against every other sword you pick up here. Instead you decide based on your skills, and whether you value fast attacks, higher raw damage, or better armour penetration – a battleaxe might be cool and mop up the cannon fodder, but it’ll simply bounce off the plate armour that knight’s wearing.

Weapons and armour are expensive, and while there’s no regular degradation, some events and enemy attacks can damage them permanently. And if you lose a fight or surrender, don’t think anyone will hesitate to strip you naked and take every pfennig you own. And those are the merciful ones. But hey, some of your party survived that encounter, right? So, dust yourselves off, recruit some replacements, and get back on that horse.
More information.

More information.

I remember this game and Knights of Legend, by Origin, to be just so completely different than anything else, when I played them umpteen years ago.

I have lots of fond memories of this game, but it will firmly stay there. It has aged too much to be of any fun these days for me. Serpent in the Staglands however seems to take some inspiration from it, and has earned my preorder.

This game had really, really bad combat (first rtw/p game I played), but other than that, this game was pure awesome. I still read the manual sometimes when I take a big poop. Same with blade of destiny manual, and Wizardry 7 manual. I love taking poops and reading good manuals.

Great game and i'll disagree about bad aging.In my opinion it's still playable(which i have done it). I'll always insist that this one is a must for a remake.Improve the mechanics with new technologies,make the story a little bit more solid maybe cause it's rather loose,DON'T touch the character development system cause it's one of the best in the whole history of CRPGs and tadaaaa you have an amazing old-school game in 2015

I remember at the time being a little put off by the Boob Bash maneuver on the cover. To me that always seemed like a sign that the contents weren't very good, so they were selling it on sexualized imagery instead. Alas, I never tried it.

I didn't find the combat bad at all. The sheer bliss at all the many options to do with your characters and how you could tackle situations kept me glued to this game for years. One of the best highlights of the 90's for me.

I didn't find the combat bad at all. The sheer bliss at all the many options to do with your characters and how you could tackle situations kept me glued to this game for years. One of the best highlights of the 90's for me.

In my opinion, any combat made up of click and watch is bad combat. This game wasn't very combat heavy so the awful combat wasn't a big deal, and the rest of the game more than made up for it in spades.

Did anyone else buy the version that came with a blue 3.5 disk that had cheats on it? Like any equipment for any character and character editing?

That was the first time I was able to cheat in a game besides the razzle dazzle rootbeer one in Quest for Glory.

the beautiful simplicity of ist menu driven gameplay makes me wish for more indie projects to take up this kind of design.

I remember this game and Knights of Legend, by Origin, to be just so completely different than anything else, when I played them umpteen years ago.

I remember Knights of Legend. I guess I must have played that in 1989 or 1990. Wasn't at all what I expected, but I had a lot of fun with it. Darklands, on the other hand, bored me to the point where I put it down after a day or two. Never understood why that game is considered a classic.

After killing a chief witch, then a demon lord, then a dragon, the game lost appeal, couldn't offer any more fun, so I stopped playing. Until that point it was fun.

Back
Top Bottom