Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen, D&D3.5 rpg on Kickstarter

emptyfortress

Watcher
Not exactly D&D but using the 3.5 SRD, and from what I've seen it looks very D&Dish.

Linky: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ceresgames/realms-beyond-ashes-of-the-fallen/description

Features I like:
- Turn-based combat on hex maps
- Lots of modding tools (they say they want something similar to the Aurora toolset)
- Big world map to explore
- Your choice of a custom party or premade companions
- Inspired by Temple of Elemental Evil, among other things (they also quote Wizardry 7, the Gold Box games and Realms of Arkania as inspirations)

Things I'm not so sure about:
- No multiclassing, most of the fun in building characters will be in picking prestige classes (which they're designing themselves). It could be interesting if their prestige classes are well-designed, but we don't know yet.
- Not much info about the campaign. Most of the kickstarter blurb is about the engine, not what they're using it for. It could end up being a Neverwinter Nights (a good engine with robust modding tools but a boring mac-guffin fetch quests-based storyline)
- It's D&D 3.5, so you either like it or hate it. I'm a bit of both (I like it because it's familiar, I hate it because it's full of D&Disms I dislike)
- Nothing official about level caps and such, there is a post on their forum saying they're planning on going up to 15th level but nothing on the KS page
- 100K € isn't much for a game studio in Germany, I know the engine seems mostly done but there is still all that content to make, and the scope is ambitious (2 continents…) I hope they've budgeted it correctly and don't end up in an Owlcat situation.
- Really subjective but I hope the music in the trailer isn't what they plan to use, I find generic "epic fantasy" soundtracks to be utterly boring (kudos to the recent RPGs which use more period-appropriate instruments and melodies, it's so much better)

Anyway, I think this looks interesting and has potential (yay for built-in modding). Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom