The TV Series discussion thread

I finished Ozark. Not entirely satisfying, but a good season to cap off a great show.

These spoilers are very spoilery, so don't read if you haven't watched:

Ruth being killed was probably inevitable, but it still sucked. I really didn't particularly care what happened to the Byrds, but I did care what happened to Ruth. The worst part about her death to me was how little Marty seemed to care about it.

The most obvious interpretation of the ending is that Jonah shot and killed Mel. That seems to be what reviews and discussion has generally concluded. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, though. One, Jonah very noticeably closes both of his eyes before the screen fades to black. That means something, though I'm not sure what. Second, there was no need to kill Mel. The only important thing was that he not leave with the urn. Jonah shooting him is one thing; shooting a man who now posted no threat is another. I think the actual answer is that there is no answer, though. I think the writers left it intentionally vague and muddled so that viewers could decide for themselves what happened.

Last night I watched the finale of the second series of a British Scandal. Man, these people really didn't like each other by the end of the marriage, lol. Hard for me to conceive of loathing someone that much that I'd loved, once upon a time. High marks for superb casting and sets.

I have been watching the last season of The Last Kingdom and I must say I am very very disappointed.

The pace of the story is poor, the writing is subpar and the actors seem burnt out.

Just not a good season at all.

I watched I think the first two series of Last Kingdom, before I gave up Netflix, and while they were ok, I found the books far more compelling. And I've heard from others that the quality from the early shows dropped off, which is a shame, as the telly field could really use more decent shows.

I have been watching the last season of The Last Kingdom and I must say I am very very disappointed.
I was disappointed as well. It could have been done a lot better. The same overarching story in one season less would have been already better.

I haven't felt any drop in quality, maybe I wasn't attentive. But in the last season, it's true that Uhtred feels desperate and other characters are reaching a breaking point too. It's a darker season than the other ones.

A lot of Uhtred's tales are fairly grim. Those years he spent as a slave were quite brutal, at least in the books. The telly show was a lot kinder to him and his mates during those years. And about the only thing worse than actually being Uhtred is knowing him as a friend or girlfriend, yikes.

I haven't felt any drop in quality, maybe I wasn't attentive. But in the last season, it's true that Uhtred feels desperate and other characters are reaching a breaking point too. It's a darker season than the other ones.

I was talking to my sister about it how I couldn't even remember how many badly written things happened. I had texted her saying it was pretty bad and she replied 40 minutes later, by which time another stupid thing happened.

Here's one I do remember.
In one scene, Vibeke - Brida's daughter - after Brida tells her to hide, decides to climb the highest building in the town square. Not only is it obviously not a good place to hide, it is also obvious that the moment she does that something bad will happen.
There's literally no point in this character other than to serve as a placeholder for Brida's grief.

Moon Knight. I was going to skip it but I kept getting recommendations from friends. I enjoyed the first two episodes quite a bit (Oscar Isaac being great as usual being a major factor), liked the third episode less. The suit looks really dumb. Basically, I dislike the superhero action scenes and like everything else.

I tried Moon Knight, the first episode was ok, gave me some hope, then they completely lost me on the second. I then reminded myself of the true definition of insanity, gave up on it and went back to shows I enjoy.

Watched the first 2 episodes of Ozark S4 Part 2 tonight. I wish I could binge it, but I'm watching it with someone else. I'll hopefully get to finish it over the weekend.

I was surprised Javi got taken out that quickly. I was expecting a little more build-up before he went down.

The fourth episode of the current Better Call Saul series was amazing in several different ways. Some of the reveals were things I'd never considered might happen, like Mike and Kim meeting, actually having a conversation and parting somewhat amiably. Fring's home being such a fortress, and he wears clip-on ties??!?! Really??? Gosh, I would have figured him a Windsor knot man, for sure.

And Saul pulling off another con, this time bringing in Wendy, another /nod to the Breaking Bad cast. I keep hoping things will end up well for her in this series, and then I remember that this is, after all, the past. 0xx. Poor Howard, and yet, I don't think he's going to go off gently into that good night. We learn a bit more about his life, and of course we know he's capable of being stern. Simply look at the different ways he treated employees, such as Kim , Jim, Chuck, among many others, and you know the man is capable. Still no sign of Lalo, which for me only lends to his mystique, that when he does appear it's going to be glorious!

I'm around ep 12 or 13 of s4 of FTWD, and it's getting good again. And Morgan is not annoying anymore. And I think I found the pattern for when I find him annoying. Is when he starts with the not-killing anyone mantra. Besides just feeling holier-than-thou, it's a constant annoyance when he fucks over his friends because of his mantra. But when he drops that, it's all good. He's an enjoyable enough character.

Now he's found a new group of friends, with the beer maker and the two truckers. I just love the post-apocalyptic setting, and I realize they don't have to do much for me to enjoy it. Just keep it at least decent, and I'll enjoy an episode every now and then.

I finished Ozark. Not entirely satisfying, but a good season to cap off a great show.

These spoilers are very spoilery, so don't read if you haven't watched:

Ruth being killed was probably inevitable, but it still sucked. I really didn't particularly care what happened to the Byrds, but I did care what happened to Ruth. The worst part about her death to me was how little Marty seemed to care about it.

The most obvious interpretation of the ending is that Jonah shot and killed Mel. That seems to be what reviews and discussion has generally concluded. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, though. One, Jonah very noticeably closes both of his eyes before the screen fades to black. That means something, though I'm not sure what. Second, there was no need to kill Mel. The only important thing was that he not leave with the urn. Jonah shooting him is one thing; shooting a man who now posted no threat is another. I think the actual answer is that there is no answer, though. I think the writers left it intentionally vague and muddled so that viewers could decide for themselves what happened.

I just finished it. I liked the ending, although I have to say that the second half of Season 4 felt like the weakest of all the seasons to me. Still a great show overall though. Maybe even in my top 10.

I don't agree with your assessment of Marty in regards to Ruth's death. He was in obvious distress that there was nothing he could do about it without getting his family killed.

I hate that Camila got away with it though. I was hoping someone would take her out too.

It's pretty obvious that Jonah pulled the trigger, but I like that they didn't show it.

Back
Top Bottom