RPGWatch - The End is Nigh

@Crispy;, was does that >1.8 million messages in your Codex profile mean?

I see multiple people there have similar numbers. One would have to post over 500 messages a day for 10 years to get that number. Can't be only forum posts :rolleyes:

I'm a longtime lurker, but this site has been a daily stop for me. I appreciate all the work on this site.

@Crispy;, was does that >1.8 million messages in your Codex profile mean?

I see multiple people there have similar numbers. One would have to post over 500 messages a day for 10 years to get that number. Can't be only forum posts :rolleyes:

We at RPG Codex are not casual posters. We really put ourselves into it!

I just saw this post - and I had to register for it.

Have to say I'm not surprised - but I'm still a little sad to hear about it.

I have very fond memories of what this place used to be - and I used to greatly enjoy all the exchanges, even the more confrontational ones.

As I've gotten older, I've realized that the time spent bickering over nothing with mostly strange people - can be better spent on other things. Even if there's been much more and much better things happening here, it always seemed to end with that anyway.

Even so, I've always kept a place in my heart for the people here - and it's definitely a little emotional that it's going away.

But, as I said, it's not a surprise to me - and I don't think the lack of enthusiasm has been a well-kept secret. I also don't think there's really that much going on anyway - and the transition towards fond memories might be the best solution overall.

Certainly, I never envied the work involved.

Words are cheap, especially from me - but I still feel the need to say thank you to Myrthos and the team involved in keeping the hearth aflame all these years.

Wow, haven't been here for a few weeks and a bomb dropped. I wish Myrthos well and will try to remember to keep an eye on this thread till the nigh. A suggestion would be for people who want to keep in touch to add each other to Steam friends. I've done that with @JDR13;, @joxer; and others through the years. People can add me if they want also, just let me know your nick on here if it's different on Steam. I've been known to buy Steam keys for folks if there is a nice sale going.

Wow, haven't been here for a few weeks and a bomb dropped. I wish Myrthos well and will try to remember to keep an eye on this thread till the nigh. A suggestion would be for people who want to keep in touch to add each other to Steam friends. I've done that with @JDR13;, @joxer; and others through the years. People can add me if they want also, just let me know your nick on here if it's different on Steam. I've been known to buy Steam keys for folks if there is a nice sale going.

You never added me;)

Ah well, this site has been where I go daily to read about RPG things that I would otherwise not have known. Its aesthetics were the least irritating and I will miss the commenters. Thankyou for your work sir.

We at RPG Codex are not casual posters. We really put ourselves into it!

My guess is that we at The Watch are more relaxed.
Mostly.

My guess is that we at The Watch are more relaxed.
Mostly.

You would be about

PHP:
1871263/as.numeric(as.Date(Sys.time()) - as.Date("2008-02-15"))/
(20703/as.numeric(as.Date(Sys.time()) - as.Date("2006-11-01"))) 
= 98.6

times more relaxed than Crispy if it really all those "Messages" counted by the Codex interface were forum posts :lol:

Another long time lurker. This site is an outstanding resource, and will be mightily missed. Hope the banner gets picked up.

Ouch. This news hurts. Much gratitude for all you've done over the years.

Just adding my huge thanks for everything you have done over the years. Am a very long-time lurker who has checked this site every day for RPG gaming info and the forum chat. You will be much missed.

With so many long-time lurkers around I just had to hop in and say that I'm a long-time creeper.

I have been a long time lurker since the RPGDot days, I could have sworn I had an account, but it must have gotten lost over the years. Anyway I want to thank Myrthos, the team, and the whole community. I have gotten so many good RPG recommendations and know the critique folks give here gives me a good idea if I will enjoy a game or not.

I hope RPGWatch can get restarted elsewhere...and I won't take it for granted this time.

Sure hope a successor to the watch can be restarted somewhere :). Been lurking here since 2006 and I guess a bit back at the Dot (which led me here eventually)….

I want to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone who helped create and maintain this place over the years.

I was never among the most active members but I had my somewhat active moments, especially at times when watch members were coming together to support various projects I guess. But even when I wasn't vocal, this place has always been my goto place for rpg news and actually the only forum I've ever really spent any time on.

….so…with that said the Discord invite I found in this thread seems no longer valid, would someone kindly post a new one?

Even though I rarely post, my mornings started with RPG Watch for the last 10 years or so. For that much time, this has been my fix for CRPG news and review to-do list. I'll miss the pleasant convos with @Couchpotato; and all others. Big love to @HiddenX; for always approving links to my semi-boring reviews. I hope RPG Watch continues in some form or another.

Sure hope a successor to the watch can be restarted somewhere :). Been lurking here since 2006 and I guess a bit back at the Dot (which led me here eventually)….

I want to say a heartfelt thank you to everyone who helped create and maintain this place over the years.

I was never among the most active members but I had my somewhat active moments, especially at times when watch members were coming together to support various projects I guess. But even when I wasn't vocal, this place has always been my goto place for rpg news and actually the only forum I've ever really spent any time on.

….so…with that said the Discord invite I found in this thread seems no longer valid, would someone kindly post a new one?

This is a permanent invite-link to the RPGWatch Discord:

https://discord.gg/NPWYTAeGnr

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom