Spellcaster - Recently Announced Game on Greenlight

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Never saw this one before, but Spellcaster a turn-based tactical RPG game from Jujubee is awaiting your vote on Steam Greenlight!

Spellcrafter, the recently-announced turn-based tactical RPG game from Jujubee got submitted to Steam Greenlight and is awaiting your vote to get onto Steam! If you want to play this awesome game on your PC (Windows/Linux) or Mac, help the Jujubee Team make it happen and cast your vote now:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=276213469

Experience an amazing and unforgettable adventure set in a dark fantasy universe!

Spellcrafter will be an RPG game with deep tactical turn-based combat and a unique spell casting system. Explore the magical world, collect gold, interact with NPCs, take quests and make moral choices! Recruit heroes, assemble and summon powerful troops and send them into battle!

The unique feature of Spellcrafter will be the spell casting system. The game will recognize the sign you draw on the screen and will automatically choose the appropriate spell from the spellbook. If you won’t remember the correct sign you will be able to consult the spellbook, but beware! Reaching for the spellbook will take additional time and the quicker you cast your spell, the more powerful it will be!

The game will be divided into 3 acts. Each of them will tell a part from a compelling and magical story about the nature of reality, power and morality. You will be able to choose from three races and play as human, control necromancer forces or fight for the elves. Each act will feature 3 levels with a different setting.

Spellcrafter will be released as a Premium Game (no IAPs, no F2P mechanics). Coming to PC (Windows/Linux) and Mac in Q3 2014!
Here is a trailer of the game.

More information.

The gesture recognition part could be painful...it can be very frustrating to the player if their spell gesture is not recognised, even if it is valid. Been through thatkind of thing in other games. I always tell my students: don't use gesture recognition in your games! Well, except for simple swipes etc on mobile/touch devces where libraries do the hard work for you (and they are simple gestures). It all comes down to usability and testing in the end - they may have to simplify that part depending on how it plays out in reality.

Gesture recognition and it's not going be released an mobile devices? I'm surprised.

Last edited:
I said 'Yes' in the Steam Greenlight thing but I don't think I'd buy it. I have bad memory so I'd probably only be able to remember 2-3 spells, so I'd be penalized because I would have to open the book most of the time. It also breaks my rule of 'RPGness' which is, the character is the one with 20 Intelligence, not the player.

Personally, I would prefer if using the mouse to cast the magic was an option with no gameplay consequences. Basically a faster or cooler way to cast a spell, but if you prefer to select the spell from the book, no penalties.

Back
Top Bottom