Dragon Age: Inquisition - Interview @ Gamespot

aries100

SasqWatch
Gamespot has talked to Mike Laidlaw about the DA: Inquisition.

A quote on how a conflict could be resolved:

In a non-spoiler example he provided, a group of refugees take up residence on a lord's land. The lord will approach the Inquisition with a request to have the refugees removed from his property. Players consulting with the diplomat will have her encourage them to talk to the local bands and find a new location for them. Speaking to the spies will reveal the option to have them removed. If the commander is asked, he will offer to help the band because he finds the lord is "a bit of a jerk." Here, Dragon Age: Inquisition will offer a variety of paths to take in decision-making, with results ultimately emphasised through consequences that may surface further down the path.
A quote on how DA: Inquisition compares to DA2 and DA:Origins:

"It's closer to Origins in overall feel. It's bigger, it's bolder. It plays slower than [Dragon Age 2]. That said, there were some things for DA2 that I felt were very powerful. The characters I felt did a better job of having their own stories or agendas. So we held on to a lot of that. We wanted to make sure they had their own arcs, whether you were romancing them or just friends. The other big thing that we kept from DA2 is that combat in general feels responsive. I think DA2 was very successful in making you feel like oh, I tagged that guy and moved in, I punched him in the face. Some people would get annoyed because they thought I was dismissing Origins, but when your character took a long time to shuffle into position it was like, 'you're a trained warrior, you can do better.'"
Thanks to JWvon Goethe on the DA: Inquisition forums for finding this.

More information.

yeah, RPGs are thereason I am so healthy and so keen on selfimproving.
Conflict management, arbitration

videos indicate it's far closer to DA 2 but with production values of origins.

It looks like a mess of a console port. With emphasis on art design and action catering to a younger ADD console audience.

Well thats my opinion and impression of a few video clips. I'll probably pass. Still a huge fan of DA:O but apparantly that was the first and last of its kind.

They gave it 9/10. It's by my favorite reviewer at GS - so that's a good sign. Of course, it's still Gamespot - and we all remember the corruption case a few years back. But he's still the most competent reviewer on there.

Metacritic score of 88 at the moment, which is good - but not earth shattering.

I don't want to read the actual text of any review, as I would like a fresh take.

But it seems it's pretty good, though it means little when you consider the disparity between critics and users when DA2 was released.

This game will bring in Skyrim crowd even if they lost the DAO one. I think Bioware is counting on that, and that is the reason why combat is more similar to DA2 while offering lots of exploration and free roaming

Last edited:
Skyrim crown? You mean the bugged Jarl's crown you can find and deliver back to him endless times?

He meant "crowd", and I don't agree. I'm sure there are plenty of people who will play both, but DA:I is obviously not that similar to TES.

Skyrim crowd? That's 20 million people at 2013. That's not going to happen. But I'm sure the exploration aspects will be well received if they're done well. It depends on whether Bioware understand how to make exploration appealing, and let's just say I'm not convinced of that.

I hope Skyrim and DA:I aim for different target groups. ;)

It is pretty clear with open world exploration and flashy action combat they are more targeting kind of players that enjoy Skyrim more than DA:O

They're just trying to appeal to a larger segment. There's nothing to suggest they don't want DA fans to enjoy the latest DA game as well. In fact, that makes no sense whatsoever.

Back
Top Bottom