Dragon Age - v1.02 Patch

If anything, the game was broken with the pre 1.02 versions of those abilities. All 4 of those spells are still excellent in 1.02. It was quite easy to have CoC's duration be longer than its cooldown in 1.01, which is pretty broken. It's still a very, very powerful spell.

Crushing Prison was a long duration CC+DoT that did not break on damage, and instant cast. Toning it down was needed. It's still very powerful, btw, essentially a one-shot kill on white mobs. It's great to take out an enemy Mage. Combined with Overwhelm (Dog) you can immediately eliminate 2 white enemies from each fight.

Force Field was completely broken when used defensively on your tank. I don't know if that exploit still works or not, enemies should not target invulnerable characters. I think they just reduced the duration though, which is still a good thing. It completely removes one character from a fight, that is potentially an enourmously powerful ability, so again, toning it down is a good thing.

Blizzard is still awesome. I love to drop that on groups of archers/mages. Or combine it with Grease in a choke point and force the entire group of enemies to run through it.

This game still needs a lot of balancing. Too many terrible spells, and still several that are overpowering, bordering on totally broken. Mana Clash is still insane. That spell can take all the mana and 75% of the health from some orange bosses. Basically it's an IWIN button versus casters. It should probably be changed to single target, and its damage nerfed by a lot. Just taking away all a caster's mana is huge.

This is a good patch, a good step in the right direction.

If you're finding the game too hard, and found you were relying on abusing the nerfed spells to get by, then I would suggest turning it down to easy until you get the hang of it a bit better. Control seems to be the key to winning in DA. CC is very, very powerful. Control the battlefield, ensure that enemies are focusing on your tanks, keep those tanks healed, and focus your killing efforts on one monster at a time. The key is to eliminate sources of incoming damage so that your tanks can soak up the rest without dying before you can heal them.

Yes, I know those those techniques. I've been playing these kinds of games long enough to know those tactics. But when an enemy spellcaster casts a fireball on your party in a surprise encounter, and then follows up with more damage, before your characters can recover, you're toast.

I'm not interested in experimenting with a new patch on a game in progress. Especailly without more detailed information on it's exact effects. Maybe in a later playthrough.

And I did not abuse the overrpowerful spells. I certainly have had no desire to use the "Force Field" exploit on my tank.

I think everyone should decide on the application of the patch with a clear understanding of the risks. Who knows? It could break games in progress. That has happened more often than not with these kinds of patches to NWN 2, for example.

As a general principle I take the prudent approach and do not apply patches mid-game unless it has been demonstrated without a doubt that it will not break my playthrough in progress.

Last edited:
Well I'm already noticing some differences, and they're all positive so far. The biggest difference to me is the random loot drops. I'm getting a lot less crappy random drops - i.e. frostrocks, etc, and more money and health potions now.

I am downloading the patch because I play a rogue with two daggers and like to take Leliana with me. I appreciate daggers doing more damage now if you have the right stats.

Uh oh, so my Force Field, Crushing Prison, Cone of Cold, and Blizzard focussed mage has just been nerfed. Thanks, Bioware. :(

I may leave this patch off until I replay with another build (if ever).

Indeed, me too! Plays fine the way it is IMO.

Didn't they promise the bow fix in this patch?

Kinda weird they didn't include it.

Didn't they promise the bow fix in this patch?
Kinda weird they didn't include it.
I remember that in the discussion about the dexterity hotfix it was mentioned by a developer that it would require retuning (and QA) of all encounters with bow users in easy and normal mode, because those fights would become too difficult otherwise. Guess they just didn't make it in time.

I remember that in the discussion about the dexterity hotfix it was mentioned by a developer that it would require retuning (and QA) of all encounters with bow users in easy and normal mode, because those fights would become too difficult otherwise. Guess they just didn't make it in time.

Ah ok…

I was contemplating a replay as a bow user at some point, but it's not like I'm in a hurry :)

The console fixes are coming but need to be cleared through MS and Sony first so when they do it you will see it. Installing the last patch will update you for all previous patch changes...no need to do the previous ones first.

Has anyone installed the patch over a current save game yet and have it work?

I think the bowfix only affects shortbows and crossbows? I seem to recall reading that longbows will continue to work like they currently work - based both on strength and dex for damage. I made a longbow user, and the damage was quite high (even on bosses, Arrow of Slaying will do 150ish damage in one shot - on white monsters, it will instantly kill them by doing 500+ damage. The highest I have seen was 768 damage on some poor darkspawn).

Anyway, a dual wielder will certainly do more damage overall, but they lack the ability to more or less instantly take out enemy casters or archers.

I already did the dual wielder build - and I have no interest in playing a warrior or mage, so I'm not really left with much.

As I feared before release, their character mechanics are painfully inferior to D&D 3.5 edition, but it's still better than Mass Effect and enough for at least a couple of interesting characters.

I've been playing with it and I can't really tell that much of a difference with my spells. A level 16-17 mage with a focus on cold spells still does a ton of damage. I also use prison to freeze up another foe, while waiting for CoC to recharge. Everything still seems to work fine.

Quite agree.

Pathetic balance issue. They can't make bows competitive without breaking balance? That's just weak.

Has anyone installed the patch over a current save game yet and have it work?

Yes. I had no issues.

They really did tone down Winter's Grasp and Cone of Cold. Some battles have gotten harder whereas before, Morrigan could just freeze everyone and I would hack away. I mean she still freezes people, it just seems they come out a lot quicker.

Know all they need to do is fix it so I can leave buildings and I'll be able to play…. no word on the memory leak yet?

There is a fix for that, you need to quick save inside the building near the door, exit the game to the main menu, then load the save and exit immediately. Seems they are not flushing textures correctly in small minor areas, when transitioning to main hub like areas.

The patch doesn't cause any issues for old save games. All the nerfed spells are still great spells (still among the best in game, actually) but feel a bit more reasonable now. They've taken a softly-softly approach to nerfing, which is good. It really does suck when a previously awesome spell gets nerfed into uselesness. Nothing like that here.

The problem with archers is that encounters have been balanced for the current power of archers. Archer-heavy encounters could become unreasonably difficult if they buffed archers without retooling the encounters. That's something that takes time, and I'd rather they not hold up all the things they have fixed for this patch until they redo those encounters.

When you keep holding off on patches until one more thing is fixed, then the patches don't materialise, and us punters get grumpy. It's like holding off on buying a new computer for that cool piece of tech that's just around the corner. By the time that tech is out, there are two other new techs just on the horizon.

Anyway, there's no excuse not to instal this patch, except for being a wuss :wry:

PS: there are still loads of AoE crowd control abilities. Sleep is pretty insane, instant-cast AoE, no friendly fire, longish duration, breaks on damage. You drop it on a group, and then kill them one by one. On top of all that, there is the synergy with Horror and Nightmare. Mass Paralyse is similar, only it has a cast time, but doesn't break on damage.

I can reccomend the respec mod. It has worked seamlessly for me so far, and it allows to experiment with different spells and abilities. It also lets you unspend the talent that the game spends for you at the start, which is great, because I hated being a two weapon fighter but having to have a talent wasted in Shield Bash! Apart from anything else, it just seemed very untidy. It lets you respend all your attribute points, skills and talents/spells. It takes into account bonus points you might have from books, plot points, etc. I also used it to turn Lelianna into a dagger Rogue. This way I can explore all the different NPCs and still optomise the party for combat.

Being able to respec obviously affects game balance, as it allow you to create a better optomised party, and reclaim wasted points. So if you're having difficulty with the game, this could help too. If not, perhaps adjust the difficulty up one level.

Back
Top Bottom