Educational Games

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
Any parents or teachers out there know of some great educational games. I noticed Larian Studios has some for math and they look very good. However, I don't teach math :)

I'm looking for recommendations for basic English games, grade 1 or 2. Paid for or free is ok by me. I know of many free online games, but I'm trying to find something with more quality to recommend to the parents. I wish Larian made an English series for Monkey Tales. Those games look like a lot of fun for kids.

Thanks in advance.

What about "Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego" ? I think that's a classic, this series is really ancient. I don't know, however, if it is being continued today.

Would it not be possible to use an ordinary game that forces the child to read, instead of a pure educational game? I for one learnt how to read due to the game Shadowgate when I was between the age of 5 & 6.

Thanks guys. :)

@Alrik I think that's too old for them.

@Plaido That's perfect. Thanks.

@Fnord Some parents are ok with that. Some aren't. Asian culture frowns on anything fun it seems, but some parents don't believe in that work all day nonsense. I even lent my copy of NWN 2 to one of my students because he liked RPGs and the mom asked me to recommend an English game he might like. (he got around the code and NWN 2 probably got another purchase after I asked for it back). That was when I taught the sixth grade.

No, what I want is something enjoyable for the kids and something the parents won't frown upon. God forbid they have an hour of fun all to themselves.

Interesting look into the culture. I never saw it that way. I guess I'm just too far away from there. ;)

There is a new version of "powerpets" coming out mid 2012 on the iphone, called "Math rpg" a rpg style game that requires math to attack. If you can wait even longer In late 2012 a better version of the game will be released called "geekyPets" that will teach all kinds of useful education such as languages, math, elements, plants, countries,dog breeds. ext. And Geeky Pets will be constantly updated with new educational content by the game designers and possibly its players (screened first). Here's a link of the graphics
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=122681

There's the whole JumpStart series. http://www.jumpstart.com/

My girls played the heck out of those when they were younger. I think they're more educational than "fun", but they did hold the kids' attention.

Back
Top Bottom