IGN - Star Wars Good vs. Evil

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
IGN has a new opinion article about all the Star Wars games that give you the ability to play as the Dark side, or Light Side young padawan.

At its core, Star Wars may be a fairly straightforward tale of good vs. evil – but rarely has an entertainment franchise made both sides seem so damn appealing. Luckily, some of the most impressive and memorable video games based on the series have used this strength to allow players some level of volition, whether it's narrative or progression options that lead the character down a certain path, choosing sides in battle, or even playing opposing campaign missions.

Let's take a look back at some of the Star Wars games that let you choose your allegiance in ways large and small.
More information.

There's a few things that irritate or even disturb me :

- In SWTOR, the use of the Dark Side of the "Force" corrupts people - their looks.
- This seems to be in line with the movies.
- However, the use of the Light Side does not change people at all.
- Some say that this is also in line with the movies.

To put it more cynical, it is like this :

Dark Side = Change of look..
Light Side = Do nothing (at all).

In personal option is that of mirroring : The use of the Light Side should change people as well.

As it is now, it is merely another case of Good is boring vs. Evil is cool.

In fact, most games are like that, even Star Wars games. A good-sider having technical toys like the villains of James Bond ? Unthinkable !
James bond was actually one few examples where something like "good is cool" actually exists, too.

What's more, is that my personal view of SWTOR has changed somewhat into seeing an imbalance between both factions in terms of development. I call myself biased, and I call the "highly subjective) thing I see the "imperial side favouritism".
Because to me, the "imperial side" in SWTOR just looks better has better writing etc. .
It really created in me the opinion that Bioware totally fell into the pits labelled "Good is boring" and "Evil is cool". My prime example is the colouring of the Republic fleet : Mud-brown (to put it mildly), decorated with colourful advertisements. My worst example are the "class stories", though : The republic stories are outright "good is boring" to me, meanwhile the Imperial Agent class story is considered as by far the best story by the majority (I haven't played it, but I've seen quite a lot of writing about it).

It really created in me the opinion that Bioware totally fell into the pits labelled "Good is boring" and "Evil is cool". My prime example is the colouring of the Republic fleet : Mud-brown (to put it mildly), decorated with colourful advertisements. My worst example are the "class stories", though : The republic stories are outright "good is boring" to me, meanwhile the Imperial Agent class story is considered as by far the best story by the majority (I haven't played it, but I've seen quite a lot of writing about it).

Maybe you're evil and you don't know it! :)

Back
Top Bottom