The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Here's another fun blast from the past. More spooky post-punk from the 80's. I find the video and hairstyles rather comical now, but then I'm sure it was thought edgy… Music is still good though. :)

Bauhaus - She's in Parties

And here is a dreamy beautiful instrumental verging on ambient from one of the most sublime supergroups and labels of the 80's (This Mortal Coil, 4AD).

This Mortal Coil - Ivy and Neet

And a wonderful emotionally dark and desperate song/vocal.

This Mortal Coil - I Want to Live

And this one, just gives me tingles. Not sure how to classify it. It has a very strong chorale part, and watery keyboards, and a heavy dry beat, plus strings of course.

This Mortal Coil - Strength of Strings

Also wonderfully heavenly and dark at the same time.

This Mortal Coil - Tarantula

And not to be forgotten..."he worships God with ashes"

This Mortal Coil - The Jeweler

Last edited:
So brilliant, definitely worth repeating. :)

funniest comment
Jeez. another the letter is furious. brilliant. and in defense to the audience… to me it would have taken days to even realize what i had just witnessed :)
I saw them perform once. In around 1987 in Seattle a few years before the explosion of the grunge scene. It was a small club and the tight energy was beyond incredible. Thought the place was going to implode.

Last edited:
Seems like new Wilson rec is finally listenable on tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIyvIRrRB3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaWPDIDA-cs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6bF6oKJKKQ

Songs are really cool, but the sound, the sound is like the best ever :).
Just check the solo at 4:00+ in the third track.

Really gets better after a few listens, as good music does. Give it some attention. Only thing dragging it down are the too loud bombastic guitar walls of sound that just make me turn it down. :)

Listening to online radio: Radio Ton.

Fantastic station, they play rock&pop from the 60s - 90s. A lot of classics. Excellent easy-going listening that doesn't get on ones nerves as much as lots of modern radio music has a tendency to do.

A bit more poppy offering from 4AD circa 1989-1990. Shoegazing with a slight poppy moddish influence. Love the rich noise. Became more poppy later. Good but different. Still rather hypnotic. :)

Ultra Vivid Scene - Mercy Street

Less noise, more driving pop / punk / new wave

Ultra Vivid Scene - Staring at the Sun

Plus some organ and Kim Deal on background vocals. :)

Ultra Vivid Scene - Special One

Ultra Vivid Scene - Lightning

Ultra Vivid Scene - Three Stars

more bluesy, even has a Led Zeppelin "When the Levee Breaks" sound in the instruments.

Ultra Vivid Scene - Blood and Thunder

Last edited:
Very nice!

$10 show at The Echo on June 6th. Nice small nightclub venue. I may do it! Look out, grandpa's night out. ;)

We missed them here in our home town last fall and it was at one of the better places to see a show here.

A bit more poppy offering from 4AD circa 1989-1990. Shoegazing with a slight poppy moddish influence. Love the rich noise. Became more poppy later. Good but different. Still rather hypnotic. :)

Ultra Vivid Scene - Mercy Street

Less noise, more driving pop / punk / new wave

Ultra Vivid Scene - Staring at the Sun

Plus some organ and Kim Deal on background vocals. :)

Ultra Vivid Scene - Special One

Ultra Vivid Scene - Lightning

Ultra Vivid Scene - Three Stars

more bluesy, even has a Led Zeppelin "When the Levee Breaks" sound in the instruments.

Ultra Vivid Scene - Blood and Thunder
Haven't heard UVS since I was listening to Vertigo on Live365 all the time. Good stuff. As you might imagine, I prefer the later poppy stuff. ;)

A little slow-paced Danella for me today...
"Bright Undress" by An April March

What the heck, let's make it a double shot.
"dossier"

Finally King Crimson is available on-line.

Here's Larks' Tongues in Aspic:

pibbur who usually dresses in (Bible) Black

been stuck on Cannibal Corpse lately.... Gallery of Suicide is their finest album.

A lot of people may laugh at this, but I'm telling you - they are a solid bunch of musicians! Their particular strain of death metal is technically impressive, with the outright speed / tempo changes in both guitar and drums is awesome. The thing I like about this vocalist (george "corpsegrinder" fisher) is that unlike most death metal vocalists, he actually is (somewhat) understandable and his pitch changes from a low gutteral rumble to an outright shriek. He sounds like a monster, a madman.
The lyrics of course are pretty hilarious, once you know them it enhances the experience. Strolling thru the office humming "Blood Drenched Execution" is a sublime experience.
Great album!

Dang it, do I want to spend bank for sold-out Sufjan Stevens tickets? Last time he came through town I was broke and I still regret it, but more than a hundred bucks?

Was listening to Mike & The Mechanics tonight. Cool stuff. They played songs that you might already know from the radion, but not realize that they made them … On top of the iceberg 2 Genesis songs. :) Very cool show. :) They played almost only hits - like the tour's name : http://mikeandthemechanics.com/live/

Back
Top Bottom