Skyrim - v1.2 Patch Update

No PC booting problems before. Lost of failed boots since the stealth patch. Related?

Can't be. The Steam update was a straight file swap - TESV.exe for a Steam wrapped TESV.exe. Unless your computer is running TESV.exe on boot then it can't affect it.

Several people have been noting greater crashes as the game progresses - this is what we've seen on my wife's computer as well, at around the 30-40 hour mark. If you hit this point at the same time as patching you might associate the sudden occurrence of crashes with the patch, but actually it's just a time thing (Wife's computer was always run from Steam with the patched exe, no crashes prior to 30-40 hours, regular ones afterwards).

On the other hand I still don't have crashes, and my hours are much higher.

No PC booting problems before. Lost of failed boots since the stealth patch. Related?

Just don't let Steam to auto-load during PC starts ? I switched it into manual start. I just don't want it to take away memory/RAM when I don't want it to.

Just don't let Steam to auto-load during PC starts ? I switched it into manual start. I just don't want it to take away memory/RAM when I don't want it to.

Steam takes less than 4mb ram on my system when its running.

Yeah, I think it's a coincidence. It's more likely that Skyrim is stressing my system. FPS is right on the hairy edge of acceptability at times (feels like close to 30 FPS at the worse).

I also did a disk defragmentation before installing since the disk free space was sliced up, which may have been a bad idea…

Unless your computer is from 1990 that's really not necessary. If you want to disable it to start windows quicker I can see that but it really doesn't use enough memory to make a difference.

I've never had more than 30% of my memory used when running steam and a game at the same time. Which is really annoying. I actually went down from 12GB to 8 when I switched to ddr 3 because 12 was a waste for gaming. 8 probably is too I don't understand why games don't take advantage of extra memory. They leave 70% of my memory free then still hit the swapfile what a waste.

Steam takes less than 4mb ram on my system when its running.

LIIIIEEESS!!11 ;)

Well, seriously, I just checked and while my Steam usually takes up about 20 - 30MB of memory it is for some weird reason on the heavier memory usage side today with almost 100MB of RAM used (see attachment to this post).
And I have not even used Steam today or played a Steam game. Steam has just been sitting idle in the taskbar since I booted my system. It was also not auto-updating or anything. It just sat there, doing nothing and... eating memory because it was hungry or something(?) :)

Attachments

• Steam.jpg
    Steam.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 35
Stupid fracken decision post an update to make us play through Steam when it's causing the problems. At least on my end it is. They sure are quick on the updates when it involves their program, but it takes forever and a day for any other updates.

My guess is that the exe was supposed to require Steam from the beginning and it was some sort of error or oversight that allowed it to run without Steam. It was probably it was less about enhancing the DRM post launch, and more about correcting their previous error to make it a Steamworks exclusive game as was originally intended.

As FOSE, NVSE and OBSE all work fine with Steam, I imagine the eventual skyrim script extender will be no exception.

Yep, my Steam takes 117MB memory, on XP no less. And if I never open its "browser" and just use it indirectly to kick off Skytime, it's 62MB.

Well commit is actually even larger at around 200mb. The ~100mb is just the private exclusively reserved RAM.

Either way, not a problem for most systems.

Attachments

• steammem.jpg
    steammem.jpg
    271.5 KB · Views: 24
LIIIIEEESS!!11 ;)

Well, seriously, I just checked and while my Steam usually takes up about 20 - 30MB of memory it is for some weird reason on the heavier memory usage side today with almost 100MB of RAM used (see attachment to this post).
And I have not even used Steam today or played a Steam game. Steam has just been sitting idle in the taskbar since I booted my system. It was also not auto-updating or anything. It just sat there, doing nothing and… eating memory because it was hungry or something(?) :)

Hmm interesting. On my system it takes about 100+ when it first starts but then drops down to 4/5mb. May be i am the lucky one. I will need to monitor it more carefully then.

Back
Top Bottom