KoA: Reckoning - "comparable in size" to Oblivion and More

Dhruin

SasqWatch
GamesRadar has excerpts from a conversation with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning's Craig Krstolic, talking about the size of the gameworld:
“How big is the game world overall?” we asked as he showed off the game’s map. At a glance it looked very large and open, unlike Fable's, which was broken into small segments.
“I’ve looked at this, and if I look at something like Oblivion, it’s very comparable in size,” he said, though we shouldn’t expect the worlds to look all that similar, even if they’re approximately the same size.
The article has a screenshot of an in-game map.
Over at GamePro is a piece titled Five Objections to Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning Overruled, written by Tom Chick. Since the "open-ness" has been a topic of conversation on our forums, here's a snip on that:
1) It Won't Be As Good As Skyrim/Diablo III/Mass Effect 3.

If there's one thing I came away with after playing Kingdoms of Amalur for a few hours, it's that it doesn't really compare with any of those games. The closest analog I could come up with was Divinity II​. You probably didn't play that, so it might not help.
Think of Kingdoms as an in-depth RPG in the style of Fable with a free-form character development system in which everyone -- even spellcasters and stealth-oriented rogues -- gets to partake in some hearty toe-to-toe combat. A God of War comparison, which the developers have made, isn't bad in terms of describing some of the moment-to-moment gameplay. But that completely misses the flexibility and depth in the character development. As a detailed action-oriented RPG in a fully realized world, Kingdoms of Amalur seems to have its own niche.
2) Eww, the World is All Corridors.

This is certainly the case with some of the areas, particularly early in the game. The first few lands between loading screens are definitely canyons, even though they're supposed to be magical forests with magical forest type names. But if you push eastward far enough, you'll come to a place where the landscape opens up considerably. A town called The Wold is actually a town, and not a set of canyons. This was the first place I felt like I wasn't in hallways anymore. North of here is The Foresaken Plains, which are definitely plains, albeit pretty modest. Don't expect gorgeous vistas, but don't worry about being hemmed in the entire time.
More information.

Some of the critics are right (the second one especially), but the others... Oh c'mon, is this all you got? Be more mature please...
"It won't be as good as Diablo" etc. doesn't mean nothing: no one of these games has gone out and he still does stupid comparisons.
And what about generic fantasy or stupid names? How could this be an objection? Pick up "Diablo": everyone who wants to could say that's a stupid name simply because it means devil.
Yes, I'm very interested in this game, but not at the point to not see that it has many cliches regarding fantasy and ARPG, but if I enjoy it, it feels good to me.
Seriously, the guy who wrote this should consider doing something else...

I think the art direction is where the Fable comparisons enter. From all the videos I've seen this game is Divinity 2 style ARPG with Oblivion quest structure. Mix that with arcade style fighting and a (seems) deep character progression, and I can't see this game being bad. No jumping is a bit of an oversight though, and the maps do look a little tight.

I'm interested in the game as well but comparisons to Fable scare me….

It has little in common with Fable. Gameplaywise it has a lot in common with Skyrim played in 3rd person, except for the God of War melee combat.

Divinity II (and its expansion) are very solid games, but wouldn't be the type to make the top of my priority list compared to some other stuff coming out soon.

Seriously, the guy who wrote this should consider doing something else…

Geez, you guys are harsh sometimes. The guy who wrote this (for a very mainstream site) is pretending to answer the sort of objections visitors to the site might have. It may not be high-brow new-age journalism, but I'm sure a lot of people have glanced at Reckoning and thought "meh, doesn't look as good as Skyrim". ;)

Divinity II (and its expansion) are very solid games, but wouldn't be the type to make the top of my priority list compared to some other stuff coming out soon.

How about a Divinity II with much larger areas, much better developed lore and factions and better combat? All in theory, of course.

Yep, I think it's going to be a good game that just looks silly; at least to me. Everything, outside of the art direction, sounds at least acceptable. Combat may be a turn-off for me, but I don't know that. However, exploration, loot acquisition, lore, and a new AAA developer all have great potential. Who knows? Maybe after trying the combat, I'll be lamenting Bethesda's lame controls and expecting them to raise the bar in response to Amalur.

This game will help me get over the fact that I won't be buying Diablo 3. Bless these guys little hearts for attempting to make this. I hope they're ready for the storm because they DARED to make a better action-RPG. I bet you'll get the most idiotic of objections to this game.

I wonder if anyone even tries to enjoy games anymore or if all they enjoy doing is just bitching about how it's "not like this" or "why can't I do this" or all the rest of the crap that people will complain about.

As for me I was sold on this game before and now I'm entering foaming at the mouth stage. Just give me the dang thing already. I want what I want, when I want it and I want it now! :p

Last edited:
It has little in common with Fable. Gameplaywise it has a lot in common with Skyrim played in 3rd person, except for the God of War melee combat.

And you know this how?

Not trying to sound snarky, I'm just curious. You make that statement as if you've actually played it.

Unless the company is lying then other then looks this has nothing in common with Fable.

I wonder if anyone even tries to enjoy games anymore
I try. The last time it tried really hard to enjoy a game was DXHR. And sometimes I think maybe it's me? Maybe I don't want to enjoy games anymore? Maybe the new generation of games is not as crappy as I think? But you know what, it's really difficult to enjoy a game with 4 buttons to choose one of the 4 endings. It really is.

But then again, yeah it's me. I don't try hard enough.

It's not about how "hard" you try, but just playing a game for what it is and not what it should be.

Some people's expectations for games are so unrealistic it's not even funny. Perfect example is this blog entry from Lemmy, one of the devs of Project Zomboid. A guy writes to Lemmy asking for his money back because he expects them to update PZ faster than a AAA could. Jesus, I've had this game from day one and the things they have updated are amazing. It went from a cool little alpha to an awesome beta. I can't wait to see where this game will end up.

Whatever, Lemmy got enough press off this blog entry from Notch to make up for the idiots who want their money back.

With that said, I'm not against voicing your concern or complaining about a bad game or areas that could be improved or whatever, but there are some good games that receive flak for the stupidest reasons. People focus on one little aspect to a game and then that's it. It SUXORZ because of that one tiny part of the game.

I think people enjoy bitching about a game more now than actually playing them.

Last edited:
Yep, I think it's going to be a good game that just looks silly;

Thank you for this sentence : You've expressed in words how I feel about this game right now. I don't know if I had found these words as well so soon.

The game becomes more and more interesting for me - apart from 2 things :

- action (okay, Divinity 2 has action as well and I could stand it ;) )
- the wow-like colourfulness (why do people so often compare it to Fable and not to wow I wonder ?

We try to block out WoW at RPGWatch. It's like that strange uncle no one wants to talk about :p

*EDIT*

I just made an ass of myself by missing the entire point of the article - so ignore me ;)

*EDIT*

As for KoA - I think the Fable comparison is based on not really understanding what KoA is trying to do. I'm not saying they'll succeed, but if what they're saying about the backstory, the world, the size, and the character system is true - then it doesn't really resemble Fable more than other fantasy CRPGs, except visually somewhat. It's not meant to be a light-hearted experience driven by humor and a tiny world with almost no underpinning in terms of lore.

Based on what I've heard from Rolston, they're going much more for the "Tolkien" approach to writing and setting. The combat system may be action-based, but it's supposed to be very deep and intricate for people who like that sort of thing. I still don't understand how they'll make it challenging, seeing as how they claim you can invest in the character system and ignore the action, and still succeed. That makes little sense to me.

But Fable was anything but intricate and deep, and it most certainly didn't have a huge and open world with this kind of history to it. Also, just because KoA has an art direction that's not "realistic", it doesn't mean it will play like Fable.

I think people are being premature, but I guess we'll see when it's out.

Well who cares about the reviewers opinions between this and Skyrim I might finally play a good game this year.

Well who cares about the reviewers opinions between this and Skyrim I might finally play a good game this year.

Between KOA, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3, The Witcher 2, Deus Ex: HR and Risen 2 the roughly 1 year of time that covers all those release dates will provide something enjoyable for most RPG fans regardless of what particular flavor of RPG they like. For those of us with broader tastes and thicker skins it will probably end up being known as the "Lost Year" - a time some of us will look back on and wonder what if anything we managed to accomplish besides play RPGs non-stop.

Last edited:
I don't think it even comes down to the game itself anymore, it can be just a company or where the game is made. Some people will overlok glaring weaknesses in games from their company or country of choice but apply higher standards to the ones it is vogue to dislike.

Back
Top Bottom