Bethesda Softworks - ZeniMax Acquires id Software!

Relax, man. I assume they do (doesn't every business?). Why wouldn't that be mentioned in a press release? I've read hundreds of them where companies referred to their growth strategy. It was a comment, an observation, not a criticism. Can I assume you're a ZeniMax fan?

I think my post came off harshly when I didn't really mean for it to be that way.

What I mean is, the growth strategy if given in a PR annoucement is typically a very generalized subset of a much more detailed growth strategy discussed privatley at the executive level.

I'm not a ZeniMax fan but I know a thing or two about what goes into M&As. It's why I find the wild speculation in this thread a bit laughable.

Watch out for Fallout Doom coming soon to a console near you!! :)

*gratuitous venom*
They could replace some of their NPC's with the zombies from Doom 3.

But seriously, I wonder if this will have any meaningful effects (for us, gamers) in the long run. Id and Bethesda... who would have thought.

Epic news...

I feel somewhat sad to whitness one of the last remaining independent gigants crumple. Its going to be just like what has happenened to many other famous studios. The guys at id are likely going to keep doing good games, but it will never feel the same. I hate how every cool thing has to transfer into something less cool :p. What I loved in id's games was that they were quite simple to play while difficult to master. The games id developed offered tons of replay value and these same games had a great setting and visual style.

You never played them because of storytelling, you played them because they were fun. For example quake 1 was really honed perfect. Every element and line of code in that game served gameplay first and the skill mattered 100%. Man it was a harsh game for beginers. I still remember one of my earlier online rounds. I got owned so bad that I nearly stopped playing. Untill I figured out the beauty behind such fast gameplay...

Id and Beth? Weird combo. It's like combining steak and ice-cream. If Beth leaves Id alone to do their thing then it might work, but more than likely they already have their PR statements ready saying how "They've been HUGE fans of DOOM for a long time and just want to make it the way they want to." I would laugh my butt off if they actually tried the same lines again that they used for Fallout 3.

I like Doom and Quake. One good thing is it's not like they can dumb down those two games. I'm sure they'll try to make it even more "appealing" to the average gamer. If they actually bring a little RPGness to Doom and Quake that would be nice, but if they just make a FPS that'll be ok too. It's a win-win I guess.

I don't know why people are surprised... Bethesda was already making FPS, I see these two companies as making fairly simular games. Except ID games has better atmosphere and story and better shooter elements, and Bethesda had better graphics and technology.

But Bethesda barely managed to make a functional game on a polished, stable engine like Gamebryo. Do you really want to hand them experimental tech? They might blow up your computer.

So, I take it from your statement that you have hands-on experience working with the Gamebryo tech? No? I think you overestimate what Gamebryo brings to the table and underestimates what the licensee has to implement himself.

IExcept ID games has better atmosphere and story and better shooter elements, and Bethesda had better graphics and technology.

The story for Doom was better because it was linear. Go from point A to B with some great diablogue in between. If you take away that and try to make it a "big sandbox" will the story be lost as well? I believe so, but it will be intersting to see what they do with it. I bet that Doom without a great story or acting is still a blast to play.

If anyone has played Doom Roguelike then you'll know that Doom only gets better when you add some RPG elements to it. Even without the supercool tech.

Obsidian Entertainment.

Indeed, I wonder when Urquhart, Avellone, Monahan and those guys get "an offer they simply can't refuse". It might be EA (along with BioWare). It could be Zeni (along with Bethesda). I doubt it'll be SEGA, as they seem to lack the funding right now.

It does seem inevitable, but I do hope they remain independant for as long as possible (as Black Isle, they got flushed down along with Interplay).

These companies were made for each other, never has a single company housed so many (beep, beep)****ing narcissistic egos. The number one thing they have in common is they are both so (beep, beep)****ing arrogant, they refuse to hire real writers for their games, leaving gamers with pathetic stories and dialogues. :)

It's not a bad idea, but both trademarks are owned by Raven Software AFAIK.

That may be true. What are they doing anyway?

Edit: Just checked: Raven is still belonging to Activision. On the Wolfenstein Website there is an interesting mix of Activision, Raven and Id.
Some potential for future mergers...

Thanks for this oxymoron.

Nope, it's not.

I liked Doom 3 voice acting and story. Give me a good deamon plot, mix in some zombie movies and it's all good. It helps if you love B movies :p

Nope, it's not.

I liked Doom 3 acting and story. Give me a good deamon plot, mix in some zombie movies and it's all good. It helps if you love B movies :p
I know that Doom 3 was supposed to have some story. But you were talking of doom without stating a number and the original doom was famous for not having a story :giggle:

I would assume it does. But Bethesda barely managed to make a functional game on a polished, stable engine like Gamebryo. Do you really want to hand them experimental tech? They might blow up your computer.
What do you mean by barely managed? Did they nearly go bankrupt finishing Fallout 3 or something? Last I heard it was a commercial and critical success, so the end result was certainly okay.

Back
Top Bottom