|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

August 13th, 2018, 16:45
Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
Back playing Kingmaker with the new beta update. Posted some screenshots if anyone is interested

https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/show…04&postcount=7
I think I asked you this before…but given the game is nearing final release status… Can you tell me if this game has unique items that are hand placed (i.e. unique weapon or something that is placed in a specific location? Vs randomly generated loot. Thanks!

bizorker

Watchdog
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 13th, 2018, 20:34
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Man, I'm enjoying Yakuza 0. No way I could ever replace that gem with such garbage.
Speaking of Yakuza 0, Chapter 2 is full of sidequests, some you get on the street, some you need to visit a place a buy/eat/play stuff 1-3 times to open them. And OMG I was laughing like a maniac in each and every one of them, I adore this game!
Yeah, it's very entertaining. I'm still on chapter 2 running around doing sidequests, too. I beat Mr Shakedown. I usually hate sidequests because you're helping nobodies with rubbish. Witcher3 was full of that crap. But when they're all hilarious like Yakuza 0 it makes me want to seek them out. Was the perfect game to get me through the week before MHW launch.
Well, except dancing minigame that leads also to dancing "duel" sidequest. Winning it leads to another "duel"… That second one I couldn't win. Why?
Imagine a minigame where controls are WASDIJKL and arrows. Not or. And. 12 different keys to control an erratic minigame.
WTF is this Sega?!
I only tried the dancing once. Not into it. I thought you just used the Dpad and A button? Anyway, Sega says real Yakuza use a gamepad.

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

August 13th, 2018, 21:00
So, after deciding to put KCD on hold for a bit, I had to find something else - and I didn't want anything too similar, as I want KCD to be a fresh experience when I have the time to delve into it properly.

After trying a few games, I remembered that the new Tomb Raider is supposed to come out next month, and I never finished the last one.

I did complete the first Tomb Raider (the reboot of 2013) and found it to be decent enough, if nothing too interesting. The story turned out to be rather silly - but it had just enough gameplay to make me go all the way through it.

Rise of the Tomb Raider is better overall, I find.

For one, it's INCREDIBLY pretty. Some of the locations are just a wonder to behold - and it's surely one of the most visually impressive games of all time.

Secondly, it has even more of the stuff I like. Quite a bit of meaningful exploration - and they've added more actual tombs. I'm not a huge fan of the puzzles - as they're pretty derivative of each other, but it's ok. Not too taxing and not too easy - and they're integrated well with the environment.

But the core gameplay is pretty solid. There's enough stealth to make me happy - as I'm a sneaky bastard when I can be - and there's enough RPG progression as well.

Steam was nice enough to keep my savegame from last time in the Cloud - and I'm happy that I don't have to start over, because I've already done the first few hours 2-3 times before.

I'll see if I can't manage to finish this, so I'm ready for the next game.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is supposed to take place in Latin America - with a lot of Mayan stuff - which is one of my very favorite settings. Like Black Marsh in Tamriel - I'm a huge fan of Jungle/Swamp areas - and I understand that they're going to expand both the tomb raiding and the underwater sections.

That's music to my ears.

Furthermore, they put Eidos Montreal in charge of development - and they made the last two Deus Ex games, which isn't exactly a bad pedigree.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
+1:

August 13th, 2018, 21:17
Dart, just get MHW. Then you can play dress-ups with your Palico!

Spoiler – Is this REAL enough for you, joxer?

SirJames

SasqWatch

August 13th, 2018, 22:06
The lack of save anywhere /anytime is a deal killer for me. But if it saves on exit where you are without forcing replaying that will work for me.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

August 13th, 2018, 22:25
Originally Posted by bizorker View Post
I think I asked you this before…but given the game is nearing final release status… Can you tell me if this game has unique items that are hand placed (i.e. unique weapon or something that is placed in a specific location? Vs randomly generated loot. Thanks!
I thought I answered this before? From what I can tell, it seems hand placed
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, The Aielund Saga, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

August 14th, 2018, 06:37
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
The lack of save anywhere /anytime is a deal killer for me. But if it saves on exit where you are without forcing replaying that will work for me.
When you're in a zone you can fast travel instantly via the map to any campsite then speak to an NPC to head back to town where you can save. (plus it autosaves)

Hunts are limited to 50 minutes, but if you suddenly need to leave the computer you can get back to town this way in about 5 seconds (If installed on SSD). You won't lose anything. It will also be easier to find the monster the second time because as you discover clues such as footprints or animal corpses it recently ate, etc, it adds research points on that monster which will unlock research and reveal the monsters elemental weaknesses, weak points, which limbs are vulnerable to which weapon type, what the limbs drop when cut off, etc, so even if you just found 1 footprint then have to get off the PC it's still progress.

You can also go on free roaming Expeditions without time limit, which is actually something you want to do because there are other things to find which will not be there otherwise.

Other than having to do a hunt in one go, the game is pretty softcore. You never lose anything. You even get 3 lives per hunt and the game is so popular that if you fire an SOS flare you'll have a full party in a few seconds. Offline you always have your Palico and they're combat pets but you can also get Tailraiders. I don't want to spoil things too much so I won't go into detail and ruin some "that's awesome!" surprises.

Steam score is down to 47% now! Double that and you get the real score.

SirJames

SasqWatch

August 14th, 2018, 12:39
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Yeah, it's very entertaining. I'm still on chapter 2 running around doing sidequests, too. I beat Mr Shakedown. I usually hate sidequests because you're helping nobodies with rubbish. Witcher3 was full of that crap. But when they're all hilarious like Yakuza 0 it makes me want to seek them out. Was the perfect game to get me through the week before MHW launch.

I only tried the dancing once. Not into it. I thought you just used the Dpad and A button? Anyway, Sega says real Yakuza use a gamepad.
I didn't beat Shakedown yet - after his intro appearance when I lost but he didn't steal my $ can't find him anywhere. I took the trait that says "sleeps in park"… Maybe I shouldn't have picked it early, but then again maybe he reappears later on his own. Whatever.
TW3 is the best game ever. What's it doing here? It has nothing with Yakuza 0.
Of all games out there, MHW is the only one I'd never buy. Yea, on a whim it could happen I buy the Destiny 2 garbage. But MHW? Never ever.

I've beaten the first dancing duel. The second is impossible with atrocious control scheme Sega made. For a company so many years in gaming industry, one would expect they know their job. Instead of improving, seems they went decadent as Hollywood.
I have no idea what Dpad is. Speak English please.
For insulting PC and PR fail, Sega got thumb down on Steam from me.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

August 14th, 2018, 20:21
Installing Phantom Doctrine….

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 14th, 2018, 21:50
Originally Posted by you View Post
Installing Phantom Doctrine….
Let us know what you think.
This game seems interesting, but not sure if I want to bite yet…

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

August 14th, 2018, 23:58
It will probably be tomorrow or so before I can really dive into it; unfortunately the initial response from steam are quite negative - most of it centers around combat issues but i'll post a follow up after I play a couple of hours.

Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
Let us know what you think.
This game seems interesting, but not sure if I want to bite yet…

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 15th, 2018, 00:42
TW3 is the best game ever. What's it doing here? It has nothing with Yakuza 0.
Of all games out there, MHW is the only one I'd never buy. Yea, on a whim it could happen I buy the Destiny 2 garbage. But MHW? Never ever.
….

I have no idea what Dpad is. Speak English please.
For insulting PC and PR fail, Sega got thumb down on Steam from me.
A Witcher is a monster hunter. Pity he's also batman. I prefer a silent protagonist who you design yourself through rich character creation.

What do MHW and Yakuza have in common? Capcom and Sega? They're both Japanese developers. I'm starting to think Japan makes all the best games. USA devs these days is like EA sports and Blizzard became shit ages ago. Star Citizen scams, etc.

Destiny 2? You gotta be joking that game fucking sucks.

Dpad is the cross shaped bit that we used for movement before the mushrooms grew.

SirJames

SasqWatch

August 15th, 2018, 00:43
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
It will also be easier to find the monster the second time because as you discover clues such as footprints or animal corpses it recently ate, etc, it adds research points on that monster which will unlock research and reveal the monsters elemental weaknesses, weak points, which limbs are vulnerable to which weapon type, what the limbs drop when cut off, etc, so even if you just found 1 footprint then have to get off the PC it's still progress.
That's a pretty cool mechanic.

I've tried a few MH clones, like the demos of Toukiden and Ragnarok Oddyssey Ace on PS Vita, and also tried a bit of God Eater on the PC, but there was something deeply unsatisfying about the gameplay loop.
Have you tried any other MH-style games to compare? (i.e. is it way better than other MH-style games)
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 15th, 2018, 01:39
I've read people comparing MH to Dragon's Dogma, which I enjoy. But I've never actually played an MH game myself.

Rune Knight

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 15th, 2018, 07:21
Originally Posted by Shagnak View Post
Have you tried any other MH-style games to compare? (i.e. is it way better than other MH-style games)
I have not.

I was going to give Dauntless a play while waiting for MHW but a Steam buddy, who had played MHW on ps4, told me not to because it would only put me off MHW.

So, it's probably a lot better than Dauntless, if that helps.

SirJames

SasqWatch

+1:

August 15th, 2018, 09:45
Played Phantom Doctrine briefly - and I really like what I'm seeing. Will wait until I have more time to play it - but it looks excellent on first view.

Also tried a little WoW again - because I couldn't help myself. The War Mode is essentially what I've been asking for since Vanilla (meaningful open world PvP) - and though it's probably too late for me to really bother getting good at PvP, I still like it as a potential endgame that goes beyond the gear grind.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

August 15th, 2018, 13:56
This is my comments from first mission (after tutorial); will add more this afternoon when I have time to play more:
-
First the comments about always hitting are mostly true; but this is explained in the tutorial so it isn't a bug per sey just a design choice. However what is not obvious to myself so far is how cover works. It isn't like xcom where it can block shots - I think the shot hits but damage is reduced which is a choice i don't love. I can understand the objective that this is a stealth game and not a combat game so it encourages you to stay hidden.
-
Second the comments about npc/civilian blocking key objectives is true and I have to believe this is a bug. For example in the first mission when I walk into the room to access the terminal there is a civilian in front of the terminal and he refuses to move. I see no command to 'push' him aside or otherwise access the terminal while he is standing there. The only solution I could find is to toss a frag to blow him up. This seems wrong. Given that this happens frequently and early in the game I don't quite understand if this is a bug or design choice but either way it seems 'broken'.
-
There are a few nips about the user interface but i will give that more time before comment further. One thing right off the back i find annoying is that there is no next agent hot-key. I have to hit Fn or click on the agent to move them - a hand short cut would be a key stroke that goes to next agent (or mouse wheel). Hum. I guess that is a nit pick but over the course of the game it would be helpful short-cut. I don't want to comment on the campaign or character build yet will do so early but after a few more missions).

It will probably be tomorrow or so before I can really dive into it; unfortunately the initial response from steam are quite negative - most of it centers around combat issues but i'll post a follow up after I play a couple of hours.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 15th, 2018, 14:10
This is my comments from first mission (after tutorial); will add more this afternoon when I have time to play more:
-
First the comments about always hitting are mostly true; but this is explained in the tutorial so it isn't a bug per sey just a design choice. However what is not obvious to myself so far is how cover works. It isn't like xcom where it can block shots - I think the shot hits but damage is reduced which is a choice i don't love. I can understand the objective that this is a stealth game and not a combat game so it encourages you to stay hidden.
-
Second the comments about npc/civilian blocking key objectives is true and I have to believe this is a bug. For example in the first mission when I walk into the room to access the terminal there is a civilian in front of the terminal and he refuses to move. I see no command to 'push' him aside or otherwise access the terminal while he is standing there. The only solution I could find is to toss a frag to blow him up. This seems wrong. Given that this happens frequently and early in the game I don't quite understand if this is a bug or design choice but either way it seems 'broken'.
-
There are a few nips about the user interface but i will give that more time before comment further. One thing right off the back i find annoying is that there is no next agent hot-key. I have to hit Fn or click on the agent to move them - a hand short cut would be a key stroke that goes to next agent (or mouse wheel). Hum. I guess that is a nit pick but over the course of the game it would be helpful short-cut. I don't want to comment on the campaign or character build yet will do so early but after a few more missions).
You can knock out civilians. I think it's in the abilities.

Check out Chris odd's video.

My understanding is that everything hits but awareness and cover reduces damage

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Pladio

Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Send a message via MSN to Pladio

August 15th, 2018, 14:45
Yea someone said it is the take down ability; will replay the first mission and test it when i get home. This is not explained in the tutorial or tool-tip.
-
I said that about cover just reducing damage but i'm not sure i like that design decision. None the less it is by design. This basically re-enforces the stealth design (repeating myself); because otherwise you will always be taking damage.

Originally Posted by Pladio View Post
You can knock out civilians. I think it's in the abilities.

Check out Chris odd's video.

My understanding is that everything hits but awareness and cover reduces damage
-

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

August 17th, 2018, 06:20
Was enjoying Grim Dawn but decided I didn't have the time to re-play entire areas when you saved and quit and then reloaded the game for another session. This particular Save mechanic is tedious so I gave up, but it is otherwise a great aRPG.

JackOfOwls

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?