|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Burden of Command - Tactical Gameplay Video

Default Burden of Command - Tactical Gameplay Video

August 15th, 2018, 15:23
A tactical gameplay video for Burden of Command.

loading…

World War II Tactical Leadership RPG

More information at: https://burdenofcommand.com/

Visit us on Steam at: https://store.steampowered.com/app/8…en_of_Command/
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

August 15th, 2018, 19:14
Hmm, I'm still not sure whether this game has an actual traditional combat system, or if combat is more narrative with choices that simply offer percentage chances for certain effects, etc….if you catch my drift. Not sure I'm expressing myself very well there.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 15th, 2018, 22:47
Originally Posted by Capt. Huggy Face View Post
Hmm, I'm still not sure whether this game has an actual traditional combat system, or if combat is more narrative with choices that simply offer percentage chances for certain effects, etc….if you catch my drift. Not sure I'm expressing myself very well there.
Can't be sure, but from what they've shown it seems to be more a series of narrative choices with the probability of success than traditional turn-based tactical combat (e.g., X-com)… Looks quite similar to Sacred Fire combat actually.
--
Currently Playing: Heroine's Quest, Quest For Infamy, Planescape: Torment

daveyd

Turn-based lifeform

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

August 15th, 2018, 22:49
First thanks for the post Silver! Second, this is Luke project lead. Thanks for your interest Capt. Huggy Face (you don't honestly look that huggy O Battle Brother LOL ). Hmm what's a traditional combat system? We're kind of like the old Squad Leader but modernized we hope in terms of XCom like stream lining. Battle Brothers itself isn't such a bad analogy except we are not procedurally generated and are a mix of single figure leaders with squads (10 men). Hope that helps a bit. Luke

lhughes41

Traveler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 15th, 2018, 23:14
Hope you don't make it too streamlined. xcom is already fairly simple - mind you a good gui that makes it efficient to play is great; but lack of tactical options would hurt; then again i might not have understood what you meant by 'in terms of xcom like stream lining' …

Originally Posted by lhughes41 View Post
First thanks for the post Silver! Second, this is Luke project lead. Thanks for your interest Capt. Huggy Face (you don't honestly look that huggy O Battle Brother LOL ). Hmm what's a traditional combat system? We're kind of like the old Squad Leader but modernized we hope in terms of XCom like stream lining. Battle Brothers itself isn't such a bad analogy except we are not procedurally generated and are a mix of single figure leaders with squads (10 men). Hope that helps a bit. Luke

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

August 15th, 2018, 23:21
Hmm other analogs: Shadowrun. Heavy narrative side tied to tactical. Or Banner Saga.
I like to think it will have sufficient tactical complexity but then I might be biased LOL.
Combat Unit Actions: Move, Shoot, Assault, maybe Scout
Leadsrs: Rally, Bolster, Press (see video for these 3), Assess (overcome friction that strips command points)
Mechsnics: Morale Checks, Flanking, Height, Cover, Exposed (caught in open), LOS, Friction.
RPG on battlefield: Trust, Experience/Respect, Morale, Suppression

Just trying to give a smell of it as it were Plus dynamically triggered choose your own moments.

Luke

lhughes41

Traveler

August 16th, 2018, 02:11
Squad leader invokes some great memories, if your game can capture even a sliver of that greatness, you'll truly have a successful game.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

Default The ASL connection

August 16th, 2018, 06:53
Hey Carnifex,

We'll try! Here are some other boardgam influences we draw on in case that interests you: http://bit.ly/BoC-blog2

There's also an RPG focused dev blog in that area too fyi (#4).

Luke

lhughes41

Traveler

+1:

August 17th, 2018, 04:42
Squad Leader is some good inspiration. Thanks for the reply, Luke.

Capt. Huggy Face

Aging Gamer
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Burden of Command - Tactical Gameplay Video