|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Sci-fi games where hero wake up from stasis

Default Sci-fi games where hero wake up from stasis

December 9th, 2016, 10:25
Its even worse on television… the unoriginality i mean..
--
"… thing about Morrowind is we did far more than we could, far less polished than we should. It's a miracle that it works at all… there's too much, and it's like jazz… a product like Oblivion - far better software… but Morrowind… oh there's so much delicious nonsense in that." ~ words of wisdom by K.Rolston

luj1

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

March 21st, 2017, 19:14
And we have a little surprising upcoming title here - Syberia 3.

Of course you wont wake up from stasis there, but it seems you will wake up from coma or after some accident in unusual medical facility. See these videos. And will try to remind first what happened between Syb 1+2 and Syb 3.

loading…

loading…

----------
And one more classical sci-fi example…

PAMELA - sci-fi survival action adventure inspired by System Shock. You should be woken up by Pamela. BTW it may sound promising, but its just AI.
Cool trailer.

loading…

Farflame

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

June 9th, 2018, 15:42
After some time another game to the list.

Twin Mirror

Narrative adventure game from Dontnod. Well, technically you dont wake up from stasis but you wake up with amnesia. And you have to find out what happened for your own sake because…

loading…

Farflame

Keeper of the Watch

June 9th, 2018, 16:18
Anyone remember Crystalis for the NES? That was the first time I remember seeing the hero wake up from stasis at the start of a game.

The stasis thing goes along nicely with amnesia, which is a very convenient excuse for a plot dump.

I consider Fallout science fiction because it has lasers, robots, and radioactive mutants. I can see how postapocalyptic science fiction has more in common with postapocalyptic non-science fiction than with space operas, but if it has lasers and robots, it's still science fiction.

Nathaniel3W

Watcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 10:49
Originally Posted by Nathaniel3W View Post
Anyone remember Crystalis for the NES? That was the first time I remember seeing the hero wake up from stasis at the start of a game.
Yep, I played it. That was a pretty neat game by NES standards. It's one of the first games I can remember that had a post-apocalyptic setting.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 12:07
Mass Effect 2

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

June 11th, 2018, 14:11
Not really. ME2 Shepard was a sort of reconstructed clone - the original died.

Spoiler
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

July 31st, 2018, 01:23
State of Mind

Another adventure game where you dont wake up from stasis but you wake up with amnesia. Its even more suspicous because your hero was investigating something. And its cyberpunk…

I wonder how many of you woulk like to play it?
https://worthplaying.com/event/E3_20…3_2018/110124/

Farflame

Keeper of the Watch

July 31st, 2018, 09:35
I realise that this is an ancient thread, I just felt the need to express my love of this very concept.

I adore sci-fi games where I wake up and I have to discover who I am - and what's going on

GIMME MORE!

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
+1:

July 31st, 2018, 12:28
It will probably never be done better than it was in System Shock.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)

July 31st, 2018, 13:10
It will. When trashmobs stop appearing from thin air.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)

August 1st, 2018, 01:41
I'm waiting for the VR game where I wake up from 50 years of stasis, all the time dreaming that I was a mild mannered computer programmer back at the turn of the millennium.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

August 1st, 2018, 11:51
So how many of you would want to enter stasis for 10000 years to see what the future brings ?

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

+1:

August 1st, 2018, 11:55
Originally Posted by you View Post
So how many of you would want to enter stasis for 10000 years to see what the future brings ?
Well, that's a bit loaded.

I'm the sort of person who wouldn't mind being cryogenically frozen at the end of my life, in the hopes technology would reach a point where I could be re-created with the use of an artificial body.

That said, I'm not at all convinced it would be a great experience - but I assume I could just end my life regardless, if things weren't fun.

Darth Tagnan

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)

August 15th, 2018, 13:28
Interesting question. But Im afraid that 10000 is too much. You probably wont like and wont understand the tech, the society, the language… Maybe they wont believe you and think you are somewhat "defective", idiot, "lesser humanoid"… whatever.

Farflame

Keeper of the Watch

August 15th, 2018, 14:02
Well i should have phrase it as wake up once every 100 years for a week then reenter for 10000 years or something like that - mostly it was more along the lines of giving up day to day life for the chance to see how things evolve over time. Of course it is quite likely humanity won't survive that long at current pace. However - if things did last that long I would presume the level of sophistication would negate your concerns - but that is assume progression as oppose to regression.

Originally Posted by Farflame View Post
Interesting question. But Im afraid that 10000 is too much. You probably wont like and wont understand the tech, the society, the language… Maybe they wont believe you and think you are somewhat "defective", idiot, "lesser humanoid"… whatever.
Last edited by you; August 15th, 2018 at 17:42.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

August 15th, 2018, 15:37
There's the classic mega-wad for Doom 2 (Doom Eternal?) where the hero awakes from some kind of stasis. Alas, it's an interminable key-hunt for some of the levels that makes you wonder if anyone - anyone at ALL - ever was able to finish this wad.

JackOfOwls

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

August 15th, 2018, 21:51
I'm not a huge fan of sleeping at all, but I'd willingly take a long nap to see how things turn out in this world of ours in a few millennia.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

August 15th, 2018, 23:04
I tend to feel the world is going to overall regress versus progress … as our current situation is headed in that direction (IMO of course). That being said I am very curious to see what the future will bring but think I would prefer to visit in jumps of a 100 more like a ghost or spirit.
--
Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

August 16th, 2018, 03:29
Of course it is quite likely humanity won't survive that long at current pace.
It's even more likely that humanity wouldn't be human. I would hope genetic engineering would oust most genetic diseases in the next century. Another century and we've got jaws that actually match the number of teeth we have, knees that work well for a whole lifetime, backs that work well at any point in life, and so on. By the third century, the fashion industry has taken over - heaven help us all. 10K years? You'll be doing well if you can figure out what is and isn't sentient.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Sci-fi games where hero wake up from stasis