|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Icewind Dale: EE - New Updates

Default Icewind Dale: EE - New Updates

August 18th, 2018, 09:35
KaosWarMonk spotted some updates for the Icwind Dale EE:

Icwind Dale EE - Updates

Take heart, fellow travelers! We're sending aid to the northernmost reaches of the Forgotten Realms to sustain you in your quests through the harsh and unforgiving territories of Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition! The update for IWD:EE provides adventurers with features and fixes to light the way as you trek to the deepest recesses of the frozen tundra.

Read on for the full patch notes.

Features

• Area of Effect spell markers are now available as a prototype.
  • Players can toggle this option on or off by adding SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Show AOE','1') to their Icewind Dale Baldur.lua
  • The Lance of Disruption spell projectile is now distinguishable from Alicorn Lance.
Fixes

• If a party member is dead the game should not crash after captive villagers leave.
  • In Trials of the Luremaster, the Magic Mouth should open if the required skulls have been obtained.
  • In the Heart of Winter, it should be possible to enter the boathouse in Lonelywood.
  • In multiplayer, games should not crash while on the arbitration screen.
  • It should be possible to sell a quantity greater than one of rings or similar equipment from a container.
  • The iOS Export Character UI should use the Icewind Dale Character Extension.
  • In the iOS multiplayer, a player’s party members dying should not cause the other player’s game to hang.
  • You should not be able to dual-class if the requirements are not met.
  • Restoring the Elven Shrine quest should show as a completed quest when finished.
  • Result of single combat with Presio should not be said by party leader.
  • Color choices sliders should not lag when dragged.
  • In the iOS multiplayer, the title should not become unresponsive and crash when starting the dictation mode while entering a password protected session.
  • The ranger spell version of Minor Spell Deflection should use icons from wizard spell of the same name.
Localizations

• New Priest of Tempus dialogue should not play in English for languages with localized audio.
  • In the Italian voiceover, Attack Sound 3 of the “Female Mage 4” soundset should match its text.
  • Italian voiceover should not be missing for Heart of Winter player soundsets.
  • Turkish text should not be different if the party leader is female.
More information.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

August 18th, 2018, 09:36
Baldurs Gate EE also got updated to v2.5 with a pretty huge list of 'stuff'

Spoiler – Very long list of fixes

KaosWarMonk

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

August 18th, 2018, 09:47
On one hand I'm happy Beamdog is still patching the EE versions, but I'm also surprised at the amount of bugs that still need fixing, or tweaking. It's mind boggling.

Also I'm still waiting for more info about their new original game.
--
"Troll Make Internet Mad, Troll Like Anger, Troll wants people as miserable as Troll"

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

Grumpy Old Troll

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
+1:

August 18th, 2018, 11:08
Nice spot Monk. After the previous update which was quite large, I decided to reinstall.
They've since added achievements as well which was after I finished it the first time.
I never did complete the game on Heart of Fury mode back in the day, so whenever the cold winter AD&D adventure itch strikes me again, I'm going to roll up a thematic party called the " Dwarves of Doom" and wreak havoc across Easthaven and Kuldahar.
--
Diddledy high,
Diddledy low,
Come brave blood sheep,
You've a goodly way to go.
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj

Pessimeister

Living Backwards
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:

August 18th, 2018, 13:17
I'm just waiting for an enhanced edition of Icewind Dale II. The original version refuse to work on my system, it's infuriating!
--
How nice for you to meet me.

Winterfart

Passenger

August 18th, 2018, 13:32
Originally Posted by Winterfart View Post
I'm just waiting for an enhanced edition of Icewind Dale II. The original version refuse to work on my system, it's infuriating!
It probably wont happen as the source code is missing.
“We’ve searched all the archives we have access to, including all the data handed over to Wizards of the Coast from Atari and there is no source code for Icewind Dale 2,” Oster said. “We’ve reached out to our friends at Obsidian, as many of them were the development staff behind Icewind Dale 2, and they do not have any source code. We’re stalled on the project without source and the project won’t move forward until we can find it.”

The source code for the Baldur's Gate games, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment was available directly from BioWare, with some assistance from Wizards of the Coast. But the IWD2 situation is more complicated. “Icewind Dale 2 was created by Interplay working off a customized version of the BioWare Infinity Engine,” Oster explained. “They took the Infinity Engine variant they used to ship Icewind Dale and started from there. Somewhere along the path of the Dungeons and Dragons license moving from Interplay to Atari and then reverting to Wizards of the Coast, preserving source code and transferring it to the new rights holder somehow data was lost.”

And without that data, the whole thing is basically dead in the water: Oster said it is "simply too expensive to attempt to reverse engineer from an existing version of the game data," and so Beamdog has "moved on to other things until there is a change in the situation."
It's the reason why NWN was Enhanced instead.

Link - https://kotaku.com/nobody-can-find-t…-ii-1796724450
--
"Troll Make Internet Mad, Troll Like Anger, Troll wants people as miserable as Troll"

Couchpotato

Grumpy Old Troll

August 18th, 2018, 13:34
I think they said that IWD2 can't be enhanced for some reason. I wanted to start it when I finished Icewind Dale but was hoping for the enhanced version also.

Couch beat me to it
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

August 18th, 2018, 13:38
Well, that's sucks!
--
How nice for you to meet me.

Winterfart

Passenger

August 18th, 2018, 13:38
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
I think they said that ID2 can't be enhanced for some reason. I wanted to start it when I finished Icewind Dale but was hoping for the enhanced version also.

Couch beat me to it
Only two minutes apart but yeah it's a shame about the source code.

I'll summarize why from the link I posted.
Although anyone can buy and download Icewind Dale II on GOG, there’s no simple way to extract the source code from finished copies of the game. Because the code is all compiled, the data is inaccessible. “There is really no way to go backwards from a compiled game to the source code to rebuild it,” said Oster. “You can decompile the game, but the difficulty of digging through the decompiled blob and extracting anything useful is much too high.”
--

Couchpotato

Grumpy Old Troll

August 18th, 2018, 17:27
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
On one hand I'm happy Beamdog is still patching the EE versions, but I'm also surprised at the amount of bugs that still need fixing, or tweaking. It's mind boggling.
Most of the fixes are for the ios version which was released with patch 2.4. Otherwise it's things they revamped/add with 2.0 (multiplayer/UI/new journal) or nickpicking (i.e. stuff that people says should have been on the original game, I once checked the fan created bug list for the EEs and it was mind blowing, lol).
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

August 18th, 2018, 20:23
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
It probably wont happen as the source code is missing.
Perhaps then it's time to build their own isometric engine to support d20 SRD games? They can start with a port of IWD2, which should be relatively straightforward since the stock components are already built. Kickstarter, perhaps?

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

August 18th, 2018, 20:31
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Perhaps then it's time to build their own isometric engine to support d20 SRD games? They can start with a port of IWD2, which should be relatively straightforward since the stock components are already built. Kickstarter, perhaps?
Do they have the "class" yet to write good games on their own?
But yes, why not. At best license a ready made engine, like the one from Pillars or Pathfinder.

vidder

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

August 18th, 2018, 21:20
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
They were supposed to make their own game engine and game but nothing has been announced in years after the announcement. The hired talent even left the company.
--

Couchpotato

Grumpy Old Troll

August 19th, 2018, 10:38
Yuk, the linux version of the game is *still* broken. Instant crash on both loading & new game.

I played through the whole game on linux when the first 2.5 beta was released, so I never bothered to file an official bug report once the second beta turned out to be broken, but I guess I´ll have to do so at this point.

Feist

Watchdog

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

August 19th, 2018, 16:13
That's pretty shoddy work right there, I really hope they get the Linux version sorted out.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

August 19th, 2018, 17:53
Vaguely I think the linux version worked fine for myself. I was on ubuntu 16.04 at the time - only thing I can't remember if it was EE or non EE version; I played one of them on 16.04.

Originally Posted by Feist View Post
Yuk, the linux version of the game is *still* broken. Instant crash on both loading & new game.

I played through the whole game on linux when the first 2.5 beta was released, so I never bothered to file an official bug report once the second beta turned out to be broken, but I guess I´ll have to do so at this point.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

August 19th, 2018, 18:54
I would love to see an Icewind Dale Turn-Based Tactical mod, on hex tiles.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

August 19th, 2018, 19:15
Yeah, have to bear in mind that Linux distros frequently introduce breakages. All sorts of possibilities for dependency hell, driver issues in kernel updates, etc.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
+1:

August 19th, 2018, 23:06
I played through the IWD EE about a year ago and it became extremely easy towards the end because of the new spells and kits. Definitely worth a go though, especially if you have never played it.

I also had a nice modded BG EE-BG DS-BG II EE-ToB EE set up, but my PC died midway and I didn't find the energy to set up the mods again so far. Will give it another try when the BG itch is itching again.
For anybody who is interested in modding the EEs, here is a good start:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussio…or-new-players

Darkheart

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

August 20th, 2018, 02:35
Originally Posted by Darkheart View Post
For anybody who is interested in modding the EEs, here is a good start:
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussio…or-new-players
I was at one point but some of my most favorite mods only work on the old editions.
--

Couchpotato

Grumpy Old Troll

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Icewind Dale: EE - New Updates