Valve leaked sales number

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
There is an article of leaked sales number (I thought there was another thread but can't find it) for sales on steam. The approach they took using achievements have a lot of potential flaws but still it gives some interesting data. The CVS file you can download is far more complete than the list on page 2.
-
Some interesting numbers (if they are accurate):
Pillars of Eternity ii did not sell well at all
Divinity original sin 2 out sold divinity original sin
wasteland 2 didn't sell that well
Banner Saga 2 sales were awful
tyranny sold a *lot* better than poeii
-

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...-precise-player-count-for-thousands-of-games/

Lets see.

Pillars of Eternity - 1,275,530
Pillars of Eternity 2 - 203,867
Wasteland 2 - 626,811
Original Sin - 1,501,547
Original Sin 2 - 1,688,895
Tyranny - 562,631
Banner Saga - 747,734
Banner Saga 2 - 154,166
Torment:Numenera - 206,681
Baldur's Gate EE - 745,407
Baldur's Gate 2 EE - 420,031
Age of Decadence - 96,114
DeadState - 112,025
Underrail - 84,245
Deus Ex - Mankind Divided - 1,155,405
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut - 1,358,070
The Technomancer - 100,047

Proof that certain old school games don't sell well.:disappointed:

Anyone know the sale number for Expeditions: Viking? If spiritual successors sold that badly, I can only imagine how low numbers will be for games like E:V :(

Anyone know the sale number for Expeditions: Viking? If spiritual successors sold that badly, I can only imagine how low numbers will be for games like E:V :(
Here you go.

Expeditions: Conquistador - 130,612
Expeditions: Viking - 81,722

As you see not that great either.

Potential flaws? They straight up say: The new data also gives no indication of how many people own the game without having played it. Technically, that's even wrong to say, because you need the first achievement to pop to even register and in some games, those achievements aren't based on progression.

I never touched half the games in my Steam account…

Yes the same crap everyone said about Steam Spy.

Yet it's all the data we can get, and I'l take it even if it's off by 10-30% of sales.

Darkest Dungeon on 2,214,527. I had no idea it was so much more popular than Pillars of Eternity and Original Sin etc.

With Pillars 2, I wonder how many are waiting for all the DLC to drop before playing it. I've bought it but since the DLC is mid-game rather than post-game I'm waiting for it to be finished before playing it. Anyone in the same position wouldn't show up in those figures.

Darkest Dungeon on 2,214,527. I had no idea it was so much more popular than Pillars of Eternity and Original Sin etc.

With Pillars 2, I wonder how many are waiting for all the DLC to drop before playing it. I've bought it but since the DLC is mid-game rather than post-game I'm waiting for it to be finished before playing it. Anyone in the same position wouldn't show up in those figures.
I learned its best to wait as Larian,Inexlie, and Obsidian always release some type of ultimate edition with every DLC & expansion. It's sort or become the standard.

No idea how many others think like I do, but I usually refuse to buy a game until all of its DLCs have been released and I can buy a Complete Edition. Also, all those "Director's Cuts" and "Enhanced Editions" which get released after a while are quite an incentive to wait a year or two.

I'm shocked how well bg ee did esp given the minimal effort to produce it (relative to the original game).
-
I'm also concern that unless pillars does better that's the end of the line for the series.
-
The other huge flaw in this data are games released on gog. While history suggest steam does better than gog by a wide margin I suspect certain types of games like witcher 3 and perhaps divinity original sin (1,2) did well on gog.
witcher 3 sales on steam (from this data is 5.5 million on steam); from a press release more than 1 million copies sold on gog.
--
as for couch comment well that is true of a lot of game that have dlc like fallout 3,4 skyrim and a zillion others - they call it game of the year edition. The thing about xile and larian is that when they do an enhanced version they give it to previous owners for free. When bethesda or just about anyone else does a remastered version they charge for it.

Banner Saga - 747,734
Banner Saga 2 - 154,166

Proof that certain old school games don't sell well.:disappointed:

Phonegames are not old school but new school.

The thing about xile and larian is that when they do an enhanced version they give it to previous owners for free. When bethesda or just about anyone else does a remastered version they charge for it.

True, but nowadays it's rare that I re-play a game that I have already finished, and that's why I prefer to wait for those "enhanced" editions in order to get the full experience.

While I think it's foolish to compare sales of a game that's been out a couple months (PoE 2) with its 3? year old predecessor, there is no doubt that the bugged launch of PoE 1 followed up by patch upon patch upon patch certainly must have fatigued a good portion of the playerbase into simply waiting on a final version this time around.

Obsidian is nothing if not a victim of their own [lack of] QA.

On a different note, those Beamdog numbers are a joke. :S

Interesting. It's good to see Mankind Divided selling more than (I) expected. Didn't know BG sold that well. PoE II definitely took the largest hit.

Obviously the data is useless to see # of sales, only really good as a way of comparing games with one another. Also it'd be useful to show which games are past their cycle. Checking sales on a 2 month old game is useless.

Having said that, it's interesting that Divinity consistently sold well (1 & 2) even though it's turn based, while the RtwP games seem to decline a lot in their sequels.

My opinion:

Sequels will always appear to suffer with this data harvesting methodology because people want to finish the original game before playing the second. Some personal evidence - I own PoE 2, but haven't played it because I want to finish the PoE expansion first - particularly appealing in a game where your decisions are imported into the sequel like this one. I also own Mankind Divided but haven't played it because I haven't finished Human Revolution. BG 2 EE and Banner Saga 2 as well.

I'm not sure how true that is these days, I know a few folks that seem to wait for a sequel, then pick up the original plus the new game at the same time. Perhaps the fact that a sequel was generated makes people think that it's worth investing in the series at some point, I don't know, but I've heard the phenomena enough to not be able to simply dismiss it.

Darkest Dungeon is also available on iphone/ipad, so unless these numbers include those sales, the actual number is even higher.

Darkest Dungeon is also available on iphone/ipad, so unless these numbers include those sales, the actual number is even higher.

Blimey. I'm genuinely surprised (and impressed). I thought it was a fun enough game, but I hadn't realised it was a massive hit.

Back
Top Bottom