Shenmue 3 - The Most Funded Kickstarter Campaign

Been playing RPGs since the 80s and I never even heard of this game.

You guys must have been living under a rock…

Shenmue 1-2 (aka Virtua Fighter RPG) were amazingly atmospheric, albeit slow paced, 3D open-world action-adventure-brawlers set in 80's Japan and Hong Kong. The game has been compared to GTA and Sleeping Dogs, minus the guns and cars. Basically you wander the streets searching for clues to your father's killer. Along the way, you meet many interesting characters and learn a little about Asian culture, play minigames including classic Sega arcade games, collect capsule toys, work at the docks driving a forklift, and learn 70+ martial arts moves that you use to beat the shit out of the local gangs… Good times.

Last edited:
I didn't play Shenmue 1, but I played Shenmue 2 in my PS2 and loved it. Unfortunately my memory is really bad so can't say why I liked the game, but I do remember liking it. I guess it was sort of Grand Theft Auto in a Japanese town without the "I'm an asshole" approach. Basically you were there, you had jobs, and there was some story.

I played the games when they came out. The thing is, they were very cinematic, and had a very dramatic (and well written) story and the promise of a 16 chapters long tale… you really didn't have anything like this back then.

Apart from the QTE (Which i actually kinds like as long as they are not too long) They are really good game, even if light on some RPG mechanics.

Interesting that this and Bloodstained earned significantly more than Pillars of Eternity with fewer backers. Maybe the Japanese have more money to throw around.

And it's console as well, which means more target audience and a target audience which is used to pay a lot.

And it's console as well, which means more target audience and a target audience which is used to pay a lot.

Part of it yes. I typically don't pledge more than $20 for any PC game in kickstarter, basically because that's about how much (or less) I pay for PC games in Steam. But console games are more expensive ($40 is a good price for a 2 year old game), so I pledged $29 for this one and considered it a super bargain.

Interesting that this and Bloodstained earned significantly more than Pillars of Eternity with fewer backers. Maybe the Japanese have more money to throw around.

Shenmue 3 had 26,000 backers at the minimum $29 level for a digital copy; PoE had 25,000 backers at the minimum $20 level and another 20,000 at the $25 level; both for a digital copy. Hmm, maybe there's a lesson there? Or maybe it's just inflation? The next big bump for Shenmue 3 was 14,000+ backers for a $60 physical copy. PoE only had 4,000- for the $65 physical copy.

Back
Top Bottom