Chris Avellone - Teases mystery game

I actually think no level scaling works fine. Sure, you got crazy powerful in Morrowind after a while, but that happens in Skyrim too, at least in Morrowind you didn't kill dragons at level 2. That was the moment the game started losing points in my book. I still got about 80 hours from it and enjoyed most of them, so I do not claim it's a bad game by any means. But I would have preferred it if I had to run from every single dragon before I was level 20 or so, THAT would have made killing one actually feel like an accomplishment. Especially if I had gotten killed by Dragons fortytwo times prior to being able to take one down.

Give me Skyrim without any scaling and with the the more fun magic system of earlier games and I'll promise to love it. It would probably sell alot less though, so I acknowledge I'm in a minority and continue to thank god for crowdfunding (or rather I would if I wasn't an atheist).

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Morrowind has level scaling too. It's just not as obvious as it is in Oblivion, etc., and afaik it only applies to enemy placement.

*Edit* I also think everything being "hand-placed" is another misconception. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I remember lesser items (i.e. alchemy ingredients, etc) being somewhat randomized.

Last edited:
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Morrowind has level scaling too. It's just not as obvious as it is in Oblivion, etc., and afaik it only applies to enemy placement.

Yeah, it does, but to a much more limited degree. Many dungeons are fixed, as is the equipment of different types of enemies. You'll have a hell of a hard time staying alive if you venture to the wrong place at low levels. Artifacts that are hand placed are not effected by your level, but some loot in containers is.
The main game does get a little too easy once you've powered up, but the expansions gives you quite a challenge even at higher levels (at least they did for me, but with the crazy spell system I suppose I could've gotten practically invulnerable if I wanted to).

I don't actually have a problem with some limited scaling, but I prefer none. I like going from running away from rats in the beginning of the game to them dying from seeing me in the end game. And Dragons should never be an easy kill…

The main game does get a little too easy once you've powered up

That's an understatement. I remember being god-like by the time I was only around half-way through the game. I played in a completionist manner though so that probably had a lot to do with it.

wow did this thread go off topic or what!

It was an interesting discussion, but ok, let's get back to topic :)

Which basically means letting the thread die, since the game is no longer a mystery and has it's own thread. Ah well. Another time then.

Which basically means letting the thread die, since the game is no longer a mystery and has it's own thread. Ah well. Another time then.

You could always create a separate thread if you think there's more to discuss ;)

You could always create a separate thread if you think there's more to discuss ;)

Nah, I'm pretty sure we'll find another thread to derail. There's too little agitation in this one to warrant a new one. ;)

So Paizocon is on May 26-29, 2017, they said there will be a working demo of the game there or something. We should get more info about this after that.

Back
Top Bottom