Age of Decadence - Retrospective Review

You agree to what?

I'm assuming the stats you have posted are for end game (100 kill doesn't really tell me how early/late game it is - also, what if I decide to go with talky character? Would I have enough skill points as well?)? How easy is it for people who are playing for the first time to raise 6-8 skills? And when should the player start branching out skills beyond 1-2 without the big risk of running into a game over?

Talking characters are the easiest way to play. You can finish the game without fighting once.

Talking characters are the easiest way to play. You can finish the game without fighting once.

What I'm afraid is that when I fail persuasion check then I will have to face the combat and I have 0 combat ability :X

What I'm afraid is that when I fail persuasion check then I will have to face the combat and I have 0 combat ability :X
As far as I remember, you might have that for some side quests but the main quests shouldn't have this.

I don't mind trying it out again this weekend as it's not too difficult to play through.

If Vince comes back he may be able to provide tips of the top of his head as he obviously knows the game better than I do :)

If you don't want to wait, I would suggest playing as a trader and really just going for a few skills at the start. Focus on persuasion, trade and lore.

Make strength, dex and constitution low, put the others high.

That'll give you lots of skill points to play with.

The game is meant to be played several times with different characters as the story unfolds completely differently for different characters.

The game is very short compared to other games you play. Pathfinder is 140 hours for one play through.

Age of decadence can be completed in 20 hours or less sometimes depending on build/class.

So I'd say go for it, if you like the gameplay and story then go for more challenging types later.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Game is all depending about your build.
can be hard in the beginning or very easy. But hard fights are often very rewarding.
I remember dying in the first fight million times when trying my dodge build. But as the game goes on it becomes easier and easier.
trader/diplomat build is the easiest to play and it should be that for your first play.

Game was so good that I have too much expectations for Colony Ship, and I am afraid it won't deliver as much as AoD. :(

I played a combat-heavy assassin, invested in daggers and dodge, on my playthrough, and had a blast. The lore behind the world, the well crafted quests and the combat systems are definite highlights of this game.

Here's my character stats at the end of the game:
attachment.php

I did a single play-through of AoD (not a slight to this great game - I almost never re-play anything) and it was as a combat-oriented character. None of the combat in the entire game was a major issue. Hardest fights might've been the first 2 or 3 after starting the game. If you want to be good at combat, you can be - it's that simple. You just have to get out of the mainstream-AAA-game mindset that any choice you make is fine and they should all lead to success.

You agree to what?
Pretty sure VD was agreeing with you that pushing 1-2 skills the entire game doesn't sound appealing. And he pointed out that in reality you can push at least 6-8 skills.

You agree to what?
I agree that "focusing only 1-2 skill for whole game which doesn't sound very appealing".

I'm assuming the stats you have posted are for end game (100 kill doesn't really tell me how early/late game it is - also, what if I decide to go with talky character? Would I have enough skill points as well?)?
Even more because talkers have high INT (up to 40% xp bonus).

How easy is it for people who are playing for the first time to raise 6-8 skills?
5-6 skills - very easy.

And when should the player start branching out skills beyond 1-2 without the big risk of running into a game over?
I recommended this simple build to a new player who was struggling:
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd....572/653255275F9331F287D12E6AC2451FB78A3724F4/

As you can see, you have enough points for 4 skills right off the start. Most checks in Teron require 3-4, so this investment in speech skills is enough to play comfortably. Alternatively, a fighter can focus on crafting and critical strike (by re-balancing the stats to shift more points to combat).

If you focus on speech skills (persuasion, streetwise, impersonate, lore) you won't have any problems whatsoever. It's the easy mode.

You can still force yourself into a corner here and there but that would be due to your actions and choices (like following Miltiades into a dark alley, ignoring common sense and a streetwise warning).

Decide on your build, then commit and dedicate yourself to following it, in all situations. That will get you through most of the game with ease. You must adhere to the skills you've acquired though, or you'll be in for a seriously frustrating experience.

Unsurprisingly ugly and boring game. Maybe people with high blood pressure need boring games to stay alive?

Nice, thanks for all the build recommendations. I will try out the trader/talky build :)

If you ever decide to give it another shot, let me know (PM or post on Steam forums or here) and I will gladly walk you through the chargen and the first few fights.

Thanks for the offer!

I did a single play-through of AoD (not a slight to this great game - I almost never re-play anything) and it was as a combat-oriented character. None of the combat in the entire game was a major issue. Hardest fights might've been the first 2 or 3 after starting the game. If you want to be good at combat, you can be - it's that simple. You just have to get out of the mainstream-AAA-game mindset that any choice you make is fine and they should all lead to success.

First build I tried was with a fighter. I tried to do your typical Legionary Spatha and Large shield build. Strong with 1 handed sword and blocking. I failed miserably and didn’t complete the first chapter. I remember a fight in a round tower I attempted several times before giving up. I guess my build was not enough optimized.

Tried an assassin. I vaguely remember a battle in an inn. Reloaded so many time it was silly. Not sure how far in the game I went but I never liked to play the assassin type.

My third build was a Praetor. Managed to complete the first chapter thanks to his talking skills. I felt it was basically cheating and a bit boring. I felt I was missing a good part of the fun of the game. I got stuck in the large city after. The fights were way too hard, impossible, and I guess, because I tried to make him at least a half-decent fighter like the Praetors are announced to be, I didnt raise his social skills high enough to skip the battles.

Problem is that I end up feeling like playing a puzzle rather than a RPG. Winning is about picking what's the most optimized for the game. The game, while giving you a lot of options, is forcing you to do your build *this* way or *that* way or you will eventually end up stuck somewhere and have to restart. Sorry, but that's not what I find fun in a game. It got nothing to do with the game being not a «AAA» game. It's just the way the game is designed and I don't remember playing another recent Indie game as punishing as this one. Atom RPG was a piece of cake, in comparison. Sure, I guess I could have read the game forum a bit more. Find on the internet the "perfect build" But what's the fun of this? I could as well watch people play AoD on youtube.

First build I tried was with a fighter. I tried to do your typical Legionary Spatha and Large shield build. Strong with 1 handed sword and blocking. I failed miserably and didn’t complete the first chapter. I remember a fight in a round tower I attempted several times before giving up. I guess my build was not enough optimized.

Tried an assassin. I vaguely remember a battle in an inn. Reloaded so many time it was silly. Not sure how far in the game I went but I never liked to play the assassin type.

My third build was a Praetor. Managed to complete the first chapter thanks to his talking skills. I felt it was basically cheating and a bit boring. I felt I was missing a good part of the fun of the game. I got stuck in the large city after. The fights were way too hard, impossible, and I guess, because I tried to make him at least a half-decent fighter like the Praetors are announced to be, I didnt raise his social skills high enough to skip the battles.
Wait, is this a legit post, or a subtle reference to the old fake trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JSV1ei6OjY

:lol:

I think I started as a talker, as I often do, but then saw I might be a bit limited and rerolled as an assassin with daggers and high dodge, because there was something much more important that couldn't be overlooked. Throwing nets. How many other games have throwing nets? Yep, had to have high throwing skill, too.

Haha that's a funny video.

Anyone need help with builds or fights let me know. Happy to help.

@Pladio;, Didn't you play this several times as different builds? Outside of Vault Dweller, you're probably our official AoD hint/build giver :)

Sent from IBM Compatible PC using Keyboard

@Pladio;, Didn't you play this several times as different builds? Outside of Vault Dweller, you're probably our official AoD hint/build giver :)

Sent from IBM Compatible PC using Keyboard
Yeah, I really liked the game :)

I'm not sure I'm ready to wear mantle of official hint giver though. Too much responsibility

Back
Top Bottom