Twitter rage!

I used it for a while, staying in touch with a couple of friends, which was OK, but eventually it became a thief of time. So I stopped.

pibbur who doesn't use facebook, or any other (yecchy) social media.

Your twitter feed is what you make it be. As far as I'm concerned it can be at it's best a tremendous source of concentrated insightful/interesting thoughts, rants or articles. Some of the reads I've come across are so incredible that I've felt embarrassed about my sports-focused account.

<RANT>
Social media is really a time waster - my advice: avoid it if you can! I particularly loathe the abbreviated form of tweets…I do not like having to chop important information into N character soundbites. Faffing about with shortening links to real information etc. Frankly, everyone seems to think they are terribly important and that people will just *want* to know what they are getting up to. Lovingly related in 40 characters or less . I'd far rather read an interesting blog (although most are just self-congratulatory rambling nonsense - more people pushing their data onto an already congested internet) than indulge in twitter(ing). I think the word Twit is appropriate.
We all did fine without Twitter, FB etc - now suddenly they are indispensable …. sorry, I don't buy it. And the venture capitalists who funded these ides - for no philanthropic reason - have become fabulously wealthy off people's perceived need. Entire industries have sprung up in their wake - sensing money! Data mining/analytics for Twitter feeds etc. *everything* is purely about making someone (not you!) rich - and all you have to do is convince enough people they really need it. And, it turns out, people are really easy to manipulate...and so it goes.
</RANT>

We all did fine without Twitter, FB etc - now suddenly they are indispensable …. sorry, I don't buy it.

We also did fine without internet, computers, electricity, and indoor plumbing.

My twitter account got hacked by someone in Belarus who started spamming everyone and friending a lot of other spammers. Caught it when I got an email that my account was disabled (I hardly use it). Now how do I bulk delete hundreds spammed tweets? Maybe I should just close the account, since I never used it much anyway.

With our typical age demographic, bra posting pics would really be rough :biggrin:

Personally I can't keep up with the speed of my Twitter feed, I tend to use Facebook for personal stuff, Instagram is fun, and LinkedIn for professional connections.

Twattters, Facebook, I avoid them all. All of this stuff seems like the symptom of some nasty disease. Now emails, those I can work with....I'm not a fan of anything that requires a quick response, I guess. Or that lets others monitor me. Or that attracts 7 yr olds.

"Twitter" rhymes with "Gewitter", which means "thunderstorm" in German language. ;)
(We also have "Zwitscher", that's the translation for "twitter", with this odd t / z thing involved [Twilling / Zwilling , Twilight / Zwielicht].)

I'm anti social media (no Facebook or Instagram), but I do use Twitter to follow companies or people I want to follow. I follow Paradox, Quill18 (youtube video creator for strategy games), and temporarily whatever I want to follow at one time or another.

Back
Top Bottom