|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » RPG Vaporware you really wish would materialize

Default RPG Vaporware you really wish would materialize

May 31st, 2018, 05:40
Yeah I got that Spy DNA update as well, I'd about given up on that one entirely, to be honest. I had to pour through some old folders just to refresh my memory on just exactly what it was!!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

May 31st, 2018, 13:30
Yep I came to expect that most of my funded kickstarters are in development limbo at this point. Some have released something completely different like Sui Generis.

At this point in time the only games that were released as promised were from Larian, Inxile,Obsidian, and a few non RPG games. That's very disappointing in my book.
--
"Nobody can ever simply disagree for their own personal preference. If you disagree, seems your logic is shit, your tastes are shit and you're just shit. No wonder the internet is full of shit. "
Last edited by Couchpotato; May 31st, 2018 at 13:48.

Couchpotato

Retired News-Editor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

June 2nd, 2018, 17:52
Where the Hades is the rest of Alternate Reality!? It's thirty years late now! I'm starting to wonder if it will get done in my lifetime.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)

June 2nd, 2018, 19:26
The City and the Dungeon were great games back in the day, but if you are really hoping for more….well, I admire your tenacity!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

June 12th, 2018, 08:17
Aliens: Crucible RPG - Obsidian

wow.. would have loved to see that..
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin

vurt

Serial Modderer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

June 12th, 2018, 17:43
Originally Posted by vurt View Post

Seems Obsidian was the company who always made great prototypes/demos of RPGs just to somehow mess it up during development,or the publisher pulled the plug.
--
"Nobody can ever simply disagree for their own personal preference. If you disagree, seems your logic is shit, your tastes are shit and you're just shit. No wonder the internet is full of shit. "

Couchpotato

Retired News-Editor

+1:

June 12th, 2018, 18:07

You really don't.

loading…

I love Obs, but this really looks terrible.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

June 12th, 2018, 18:11
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
Someone never heard of a prototype/vertical slice presentations?

Remember this is leaked game-play of a game that was canceled way before it even entered Beta. So it's not even complete and needed a lot more work to be done.

It's also made right after working on Dungeon Siege III, and their own in-house onyx engine in 2011. So tech was nothing like it is now almost eight years later.
--
Last edited by Couchpotato; June 12th, 2018 at 18:24.

Couchpotato

Retired News-Editor

June 12th, 2018, 18:15
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Someone never heard of a prototype/vertical slice presentations?

It's not even complete and needed a lot more work to be done.
Well true, but when you consider Mass Effect and Dead Space were released before it, I could see why MS wanted to pull the plug on this.
Kind of what happened with Alpha Protocol: it came about year or two too late.
--

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

June 12th, 2018, 18:22
You really don't.

Not a huge Obsidian fan, but i'd love to see an Aliens RPG. Yeah the video looks crude, i mean a proper, finished version with good budget and plenty of dev time
--
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be manners."
- George Carlin

vurt

Serial Modderer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

June 12th, 2018, 18:23
Well true, but when you consider Mass Effect and Dead Space were released before it, I could see why MS wanted to pull the plug on this.
Kind of what happened with Alpha Protocol: it came about year or two too late.
Cant argue that but Obsidian wanted a true Aliens: Crucible RPG not a ME hybrid.

So take into consideration Alpha Protocol was a commercial failure, and that's probably why Sega pulled the plug. Cant blame them but Obsidian and publishers don't mix well.

I'm still bummed about Alpha Protocol's failure as it did some things right. Seems we will never a a Spy RPG of that scope ever again with the new dialogue system.
Not a huge Obsidian fan, but i'd love to see an Aliens RPG. Yeah the video looks crude, i mean a proper, finished version with good budget and plenty of dev time
Anything is better then those FPS Horror games with mixed reviews in the last few years.
--
Last edited by Couchpotato; June 12th, 2018 at 19:03.

Couchpotato

Retired News-Editor

June 12th, 2018, 18:33
I'd like to see a non-russian-voiced, actually playable, mostly bug-free version of Precursors. (just fyi, its in a horrible state: https://store.steampowered.com/app/547930/Precursors/)

I know I am bending the definition of vaporware, but since it is not really playable I'd say this counts.

Cacheperl

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 12th, 2018, 19:05
Originally Posted by Cacheperl View Post
I'd like to see a non-russian-voiced, actually playable, mostly bug-free version of Precursors. (just fyi, its in a horrible state: https://store.steampowered.com/app/547930/Precursors/)

I know I am bending the definition of vaporware, but since it is not really playable I'd say this counts.
Och I remember playing the unfinished English version and I agree.

This is what I talked about in another thread about Russian developers. Great ambitions, little funding, poor translations, and a shit ton bugs that never get fixed.

Still it looks to be getting better with some developers so I can't just generalize, and say all developers are crap. Should of mentioned this in my other thread at least.
--

Couchpotato

Retired News-Editor

June 13th, 2018, 15:05
Yeah, Precursors is a text book example for great ambition and poor implementation.

Otherwise, it's mixed (edit: wrt. russian devs.). If you look at 1C, they released a bunch of crap but also some nice gems (especially Kings Bounty:Legend and Armored Princess). Nival is also not too bad, they did Rage of Mages and the (not great but palatable) Heroes of Might and Magic V.
Last edited by Cacheperl; June 13th, 2018 at 17:07.

Cacheperl

Sentinel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

June 13th, 2018, 16:33
( Lack of their own)Tech/engine seems to be always Obsidian's core problem. Reason why their best games are sequels of someone else's IP.
--

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Tags
development, kickstarter, vaporware
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General RPG » RPG Vaporware you really wish would materialize