Skyrim - Preview @ PC Gamer

You can do both in The Witcher. :)
Infertile!

;)

Actually the thing I was most excited about here was the mention of doing stuff with locals - collecting ore, woodcraft etc. Opportunities for me to live out the character's life basically.

The article makes me want to see how enchanting is being handled this time. It sounds different than either M or O. I'd be glad for them to mix things up a bit, just to keep the series from getting stale.

Cooperative multiplayer would be neat…

No, it really wouldn't. Not every game needs multiplayer and coop would inherently change the experience even in singleplayer. Look at Borderlands.

No, it really wouldn't. Not every game needs multiplayer and coop would inherently change the experience even in singleplayer. Look at Borderlands.

Did I say every game needed it?

I said it would be neat, which would be my opinion.

I don't remember any other open world CRPG done right with cooperative multiplayer.

Two Worlds 2 tried, but not in the right way.

Personally, I would find such a feature - if done right - absolutely fantastic.

I happen to think Borderlands is a great game, and I would never play it in singleplayer.

I happen to think Borderlands is a great game, and I would never play it in singleplayer.

That's why you think co-op mp would be neat in Skyrim.

That's why you think co-op mp would be neat in Skyrim.

No, Alrik.

I think it would be great in Skyrim, because I like cooperative multiplayer in general - not just in Borderlands.

The problem with singleplayer games, is that everything you do in them - is only something that happens to you.

I like sharing experiences in games - because it makes them more profound to me.

I would play MMOs for that, except that MMOs never end - and they require you to play them as you would work a job. That's not really what I want.

Cooperative multiplayer would be neat…

Not for an Elder Scrolls virtual universe hero type game in my opinion. As soon as you introduce another player you stop the world revolving around you, and you can either just play a bit part or force your companions to bit-parts.

Sure, it might not be much of a change to turn TES into a non-hero centred game, then we could have something like guild wars or persistent worlds.. but I've got them in other games already, so would rather TES kept it's selling points for me.

Not for an Elder Scrolls virtual universe hero type game in my opinion. As soon as you introduce another player you stop the world revolving around you, and you can either just play a bit part or force your companions to bit-parts.

Sure, it might not be much of a change to turn TES into a non-hero centred game, then we could have something like guild wars or persistent worlds.. but I've got them in other games already, so would rather TES kept it's selling points for me.

How about sharing the hero role and having the world revolve around the party?

Guild Wars is like a team deathmatch game with a story to drive the road to max level.

No, there's nothing like what I'm after on offer.

But, it's just something I would personally love to see - and I'm not asking anyone to agree with it.

I think it would be great in Skyrim, because I like cooperative multiplayer in general - not just in Borderlands.

Okay, then because of you like it in general.

Which is not really a great difference to me.

In my opinion, the "multiplayer crowds" have already beaten too many games down.
They did too much damage to the singleplayer "genre" as such (as opposed to a theorised "multiplayer 'genre' ").

I just refuse to play Sacred 2 where the singleplayer part has been nothing but reduced to an obsolete/deprecated appendix of the multiplayer part.

The game was designed just to leave the singleplayer part out. It's nothing about SP anymore, there simple IS NO MORE singleplayer particle it anymore.

And ALL Action-RPGs are like this - "please keep those damn bloody SP-lovers out !!!111!11!!!!111!!"

And NOW this "fashion" is beginning to get its gripe on SP-games, too ...

The future might be MP only. The crowd has finally won.
But then I'm out of gaming anyway.

And I have some difficulty you not understanding me.

To me, there's not much difference in playing Borderlands in co-op style and to ply co-op in general.

Playing the parts of Nehrim where you have some NPC buddies along, like Kim and Callisto, did make me wish Bethesda would do a spin-off series with parties, in the same engine. I suppose DA2's more zoomed in perspective is an attempt at that, but Nehrim brought along its great world as well. Likewise it would be interesting to see how PB would handle it. Maybe the Gothic 4 series could use it as a distinguishing feature... though I didn't get any sense their AI would be up to it...

I don't know...I think Dart has a point(as much as that pains me;)) Multiplayer in an elder scrolls game could be amazing. But I'm not thinking of a borderlands style(though both my son and I agreed that game was fun) I'm thinking of a more open style. Why not share the same world, have the ability to go where ever you want but not be tethered to the other player, you do what you want when you want. Quests would adjust as well as overall world would as well. I guess this is almost like two single player games meeting and mixing to the point of two stories being told.

I don't think we are at the point in design where multiplayer could work like that, but I think it would be interesting.

I thought the companion AI in Knights of the Nine was acceptable. It's not deep enough for a full game, but it wouldn't take a full rewrite to get it up to snuff. I'm not a fan of party-based realtime, but it seems the engine can handle it.

An ok preview, still not much info though. Glad to see there will be other environments besides snow, that would have been monotonous to have snow all the time when exploring the world.

I'm a little wary about the combat being more "energetic", I hope they don't turn it into an action game.

Did I say every game needed it?

I said it would be neat, which would be my opinion.

I don't remember any other open world CRPG done right with cooperative multiplayer.

Two Worlds 2 tried, but not in the right way.

Personally, I would find such a feature - if done right - absolutely fantastic.

The problem is that to make a good coop game you need to focus on that experience, which means the singleplayer would suffer. Borderlands, Left 4 Dead, Magicka, Resident Evil 5… these are games that focused on coop and thus became much less fun in singleplayer. I don't want a singleplayer franchise like The Elder Scrolls to become a coop game, which would harm the singleplayer experience I personally favor.

I'm all for more coop RPGs, just not changing a singleplayer franchise like this one into it.

Back
Top Bottom