Divinity Divine Divinity Discussion

Divine Divinity and Other games
A traveler just shared with me some of the poems of Alrik Fassbaeur, lol. Didn't know you were in video games, Alrik ;). It was a good poem, too.

Thank you. :)

It was a weird time, I was in contact with the one responsible for that. ;)

Besides, this was one of the last "real" poems I wrote, and the first hint towards me shifting more and more into writing short fantasy stories ...

I translated it myself, then, and I once read that the professional translators had to be stopped translating it from German into English ... ;)

It has grown to be a custom of Larian to name NPCs in their games after active forum members. And there are LOTS of names in their first two games based on forum members !
I don't know about Divinity 2. It has more NPCs, and less NPC names based on forum members, I had the feeling.

The saves may not be gone; running the game as administrator may simply have changed where the game is looking. Did you exit and run the game again not as administrator?

Normally each save is a separate subfolder in the '..\Divine Divinity\savegames' folder. Under Vista/7, depending on how the user accounts are set up, if you install the game to the Program Files path, Windows can create separate savegame folders for each user, and then map that folder to the game's savegame folder (so it will just see the saves for the relevant user).
C:\Users\ %account name% \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Divine Divinity\savegames

If running as administrator changes that behaviour, you may just have to copy/move the save files from the original location to what the game expects now.

EDIT:
If the saves did get deleted somehow, then for Vista/7/8, check if Windows made shadow copies of the saved games. You might be able to recover something with a program like Recuva, but the more you use the drive the saves are on the less likely that becomes.

Recover deleted files with Windows 7 shadow copies

Recover lost or deleted files

ShadowExplorer

Many thanks for the help.

I think the files are gone. I tried recovering them with Recuva, but I already uninstalled and reinstalled once or twice, so those files are probably long gone.

No biggie, I'll just start again.

I'm more worried about this lag I'm experiencing. It started in my previous save when I was exploring the north-west of the map. It wasn't too bad, but it was enough to be annoying. That's when I tried to fix it by running as an admin and it vaporized my save files.

But now I'm starting a new game and the lag is still there. The game also takes much longer to load at the start-up screen then it did in the past. Then just walking around Aleroth the game is laggy and slow. Any ideas what could be causing that?

I have read a few people had similar problems and made posts about it online. None of them responded back after a certain time so no idea if their problems were solved or not. Probably not. I'm hoping there's an answer though.

Is there some sort of temporary file cache that perhaps is full on my laptop? I wonder why the game was working flawlessly for a few days, then all of a sudden it started the lag which carried over to a fresh reinstall. Weird...

There is a cache folder for the game ( ..\Divine Divinity\Dynamic ), but I don't think it could cause performance problems... You can delete all the files in the folder if you wish, though, and the game will recreate then the next time it is started.
Files are created / copied there from the save game folder when you load, and written / copied from that folder when you save a game. Though rare, people have had files in this folder become corrupt and cause problems (like quest items from completed quests with one character being missing in a new game).

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs before starting the game? Did you make any changes before this started? If you didn't specifically do anything, an anti-virus program auto update, or something, could cause problems.

I shut down all non-essential programs except for Firefox. Perhaps I should shut down Firefox, too? I use Task Manager to check how many resources Firefox uses while running in the background and the CPU and memory usage has been very low. Could it still be causing a problem?

I didn't do anything differently since installing the game and since the lag started. It was running perfectly with no lag for a few days, then it just started all of the sudden.

It does seem to be running better now that I got the old configuration tool and set it to Direct Draw, but there's still remnants of lag at times. I'm not sure what else to do, already reinstalled a few times trying to fix it. I'll try shutting down everything before I play and see if that helps. Thanks.

Edit - So far it's working pretty much lag-free with Firefox closed. Good sign. I'm going to try to switch back to Direct 3D to improve the performance and see if the lag happens when I'm running that mode.

Also, the game is much easier the second time through. Spots where I struggled before have become much easier. I know to use tactics now and try to lure enemies out by themselves rather than running head on into a large group. Elven Sight and Ranger Sight are extremely useful to scout the area. That makes a huge difference and I'm able to conserve a lot more potions that way, and I'm dying a lot less.

Also, food is very important. I love having a large stock on me whenever possible for when I get out of a tough battle and need to heal up.

Really having fun even this second run through. This is a very good game.

Last edited:
It was a weird time, I was in contact with the one responsible for that. ;)

Besides, this was one of the last "real" poems I wrote, and the first hint towards me shifting more and more into writing short fantasy stories …

I translated it myself, then, and I once read that the professional translators had to be stopped translating it from German into English … ;)

Ha. And here I was thinking you named yourself after that NPC. :)
You actually wrote the poem yourself too?

Of course I did ! :)

Fluent it sounds like you may be swapping (memory full, using disk to compensate). Firefox is a huge offender of chewing memory so yes shut it down. Look at your Task Manager for anything consuming lots of RAM. If I recall you have a pretty basic laptop. If you are using an integrated video card it tries to use system memory too so it becomes a losing battle. Divine Divinity is a pretty old game so your laptop should be able to run it. I ran it on a IBM T42 which was many moons ago without lag, and on XP.... That had a dedicated but whimpy vid card and no more than 2Gig of RAM. What are your specs?

^ Last time I played I wasn't running Firefox and it ran perfectly. From now on I am not going to have Firefox open in the background when I play.

My specs are 2.1 ghz dual core processor, 3 gb ram and ati radeon 3100 which shares 1.25 gb ram.

By the way, when I researched this lag issue I found many people had the same problem and they are running desktops which are much more powerful than my laptop. There seems to be some lag issue that happens on certain rigs regardless of what programs are running.

I remember getting these sudden bursts of lag on my system while running a GPU-intensive program; they'd last for several minutes and then go away. I couldn't find any process that was eating up 100% CPU usage. Dang near drove me crazy trying to figure it out. Finally isolated it to the vendor's automated CoolSense program. Once I turned that off the system behaved properly.

Are you up to date with all your firmware?

The Music bug *) has finally been fixed. So if anyone started this game with a Steam or GOG version, it's worth starting again. :)

Steam version is fixed already, for all others there's updated files here:
[ http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=463261#Post463261 ]

*) The music didn't change when moving through areas, so lots of songs didn't even get played.
That is great news! I've been holding off on playing Divine Divinity until that was fixed. I'm a big fan Kirill's music and didn't want to miss any in-game.

Thanks for the heads up!

Is this fixed within the Anthology, too ?

Yes. Eventually the files will get packaged so that the anthology version auto-updater can download and install it, but if you want the fix right away you'll need to download the files yourself and copy/extract them into the Divine Divinity install folder.

Thank you very much.

Question #1 - I am getting to a point in the starting village where the loot I'm picking up is quickly getting too heavy to carry. I have quite a few axes and things I don't want to sell yet, because the healers in the village don't have enough gold to offer me for them. So my question is, what the heck do I do with all this junk? Do I drop it in a chest somewhere? Is there some sort of player storage I haven't found yet? I'm still in the tutorial dungeon and haven't ventured outside the healer village yet.

Question 2 - Is it possible to screw up your build? I am a Warrior and giving my stat points to Strength and Constitution mainly, but also quite a bit in Agility, too. My skills have come from the Survivor skill trees thus far, except for a passive damage reducing skill from the Warrior trees. Will this come back to bite me in the butt later on? The Survivor skills so far have just been too sweet to pass up…

Question 3 - Is it normal to run into enemies that are too difficult for you? I ran into a giant spider that took 19 health potions and I still didn't kill him :(. So, should I just remember he's there and come back in a few levels? There's no level scaling in this game, right?

1 You can store them anywhere, preferably in a chest. Drop a teleport pyramid there so you can get them when you need to do so.

2 Absolutely. Actually skills in Divine divinity are very unbalanced. Most are useless so that points spend there are wasted.

3 Sure. That is the charm of open world game (without level scaling).

Back
Top Bottom