X-Com: Video Interview

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
I found an interview with X-Com developer, Martin Slater from E3 over at The Angry Joe Show. He mostly goes on about their interpretation of X-Com and how it will be innovative and have a strong strategy element to it while the FPS side will convey the fear and terror of the original *cough* Bullshit *cough*. Although I am slightly interested in it more now that Joe has seemed to have done a 180 on his opinion of the game. He went from hating the idea of a FPS X-Com to being slightly hopeful it will be a fun game.

I still can't get over the fact that they could of slapped any damn name on this game and left X-Com alone, but who knows I was also mostly wrong about Fallout 3. I thought that one would suck beyond belief and it wasn't too bad when propperly modded and zombies had eaten my brain before I played it. My god that plot was horrible.

No one defending a FPS rendition can have the integrity to make a worthy X-Com game.

That wouldn't compute ;)

:D Yea, I know and I find myself disagreeing with him more than I do with some other internet personalities like Spoony (who hates this game and I do mean HATE!!!). I laughed my butt off over his reaction to X-Com. BETRAYALLLLL!!!!!! Still I have some hope for X-Com.

If you want to see the video of his opinion of the game then check out 21:33 from his E3 coverage day 2. Lots of Dues Ex info and an interview in that video as well. Now Dues Ex looks really good.

I would have posted that in the news because of the interview with the developers of Dues EX, but it's a little too old now.

No one defending a FPS rendition can have the integrity to make a worthy X-Com game.

That wouldn't compute ;)
In an extreme rarity, I find myself in 100% agreement. But, then again, they did an arcade shooter (Interceptor) and tried to call it X-Com back when the series wasn't a museum piece. It's not like bastardizing the brand is new.

FWIW, I thought UFO:Extraterrestrials was a reasonably good recreation of the X-Com magic. It had a few changes that took some getting used to, and the "big ending" was a complete fizzle, but overall it stuck to the formula nicely and succeeded as X-Com For Modern PCs.

In an extreme rarity, I find myself in 100% agreement. But, then again, they did an arcade shooter (Interceptor) and tried to call it X-Com back when the series wasn't a museum piece. It's not like bastardizing the brand is new.

FWIW, I thought UFO:Extraterrestrials was a reasonably good recreation of the X-Com magic. It had a few changes that took some getting used to, and the "big ending" was a complete fizzle, but overall it stuck to the formula nicely and succeeded as X-Com For Modern PCs.

I tried that one, but I have to admit that the visual aesthetics turned me off. It was just too clunky for me.

X-Com reigns supreme still, but I found that last "Aftershock"?!?! somewhat interesting, but that also suffered from a seriously weird art direction and an attempt at humor that you don't want in your X-Com games.

And as usual I find myself in agreement with you for the most part. But the creators always treated the game like a name or an idea that could be translated or updated as they saw fit.

Apocalypse had turn based combat but it was meant to be played Real Time and it was either a controversial move to add it or it would have been to not get with the 90's and not have it, depending who you talked to a the time. I found it awkward but the game was largely considered a hit at the time. The first two TB Combat games were more my style.

So, to say that changing the game style/type is not staying true to the franchise is historically innacurate.
--
Deets, we never did that review of UFO:ET. Will always regret that as I will likely never play it again. Loved that game.

Back
Top Bottom