Kickstarter - Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall RPG

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I didn't expect this one, I must say. Brenda Brathwaite (Wizardry) and Tom Hall (Anachronox) have launched a Kickstarter for "An Old-School RPG" with their company Loot Drop. The gameplay isn't clear (unless I missed it), although the combat is turn-based and the party has four characters.
Loot Drop includes John Romero, for what that's worth, who is Brenda's partner.
The Kickstarter is looking for $1M with 32 days to run, though at $1.9M they promise "TWO FULL games - one designed by Brenda Brathwaite and one designed by Tom Hall". Here's a partial feature snip:
THE CHARACTERS
  • Characters: Create a group of up to 4 characters, choosing from multiple races and professions.
  • Skills: Balance your characters' strengths, weaknesses and skills, knowing each of them affects play.
  • Progression: Gain experience and gain levels to hone your characters to your exact liking.
  • Recruitable Characters: Hire NPCs to work with you, if you trust them, or allow them to hire you to be their guide.
  • Character Extensions (Stretch Goal): Wrestle with the old-school favorites from back in the paper days - alignment, age, rank and randomly-rolled temperament.
THE WORLD
  • Exploration: Explore a richly detailed world, home to unique, dangerous and sometimes crafty creatures who may be friend or foe.
  • Treasure: Loot castles, caverns and dungeons and defeat hordes of creatures in a world where your skill and cunning are key.
More information.

ROMERO IS STILL ALIVE?! :shocked:
You saying we're gonna get Daikatana2 for $1M and Daikatana3 for $2M? :D

Cut Romero out of the project and I'll donate.

EDIT:
Or not.
I can't believe I'm seeing this:
$2.1M - Mobile Support. Take the experience with you. At this level, we'll add in mobile support, bringing the game to iOS.
Look, I have iPhone4 and not only I don't want to play RPG on it but also I don't want to see ppl buying iPhones to play games instead of PCs. iPhone is already an expensive toy, for the money you waste buying it you can buy a PC with sci fi performances. Consoles were already too much drastically lowering game quality, iPhones would be even more of too much.
I'll skip backing this project completely.

Don't know what to think. Old-timers will remember Brenda sending out floppies to fix games and I loved Anachronox...but what exactly are they doing? Wouldn't I prefer one great RPG than two smaller ones? If you can import from one into the other and vice-versa, does it scale or...?

And then there's John.

The humor in that video was physically painful in the beginning, but towards the end it got more and more self-referential.

I pledged my 15 for one reason and one reason only: Anachronox... still the funniest damn RPG I've ever played. Also, I believe Tom and Brenda together have a lot of shared knowledge that could be put to good use.

However, I'm fully expecting this one to not reach its goal...

Really weird to see a video of John Romero pulling up in his red hummer.......

Anachronox… still the funniest damn RPG I've ever played.
I've deliberately skipped saying that. If they wrote that they're kickstarting Anox2, I'd definetly support it.

Look, I have iPhone4 and not only I don't want to play RPG on it but also I don't want to see ppl buying iPhones to play games instead of PCs.
I think you need to worry less about what gets ported to mobile devices. Nothing you can do about it anyway.
----
Don't know what to make of the $1.9M stretch goal, "We'll each make our own game instead of working together on one!" If they make that goal, I think I will have lost interest.

I think the 2 games (for the price of one) is mostly in the "content" department (story, race, etc). Re-use the assets, re-use the engine, etc.

They sort of did a crappy Kickstarter beginning, but at the same time it's better than PE was on day one. They haven't exactly said what type of game this was going to be beside it having turn-based combat.

I pledged money just because of the Anachronox and Wizardry references personally. I can always remove it and/or it's possible they won't reach their goal anyway.

I´m a big fan of Wizardry 8, but this sounds underwhelming and the 2 games concept is really weird.

Why hate for Romero ?

So he didnt manage to deliver with Daikatana. But how about Deus Ex ? Done under his company.

I think the guy is much more passionate and real about videogames than 99% of todays jokers.

That being said.

Are you not sick of "old school" rpg , references ?

What game are we going to make ? We dont know but its going to be old school !

The new catch phrase .

i donated basic amount... will see how it will go. we still don't know much...

Not excited yet

I don't know if it's the timing or me being overly cynical, but this seems like they said, "hey! Look at project eternity! Let's get in on that action."

No gameplay description? Just "old school"? Which school, Wizardry? Ultima? Gold Box?

C'mon, folks, ya gotta sell us a little.

Way too little info for my money at this point.....it's almost like they expect people to just throw money at them. I'm happy to DO that, but you gotta sex it up, tease me a little, hell I don't even see the promise of a dinner in this date.....yet. Much less anything else!!

-Carn

No gameplay description? Just "old school"? Which school, Wizardry? Ultima? Gold Box?

C'mon, folks, ya gotta sell us a little.

4-men party with turn-based combat. We are just missing the perspective and "focus" of the game (well beside combat, character progression and looting).

Upon further research, these folks are crazy and I'm totally in for $15 just to see what happens. I have a month to change my mind! I'm sure they'll announce more details as they go. We technically have about as much info about this as we did about PE on day one.

Fun times ahead!

Look, I have iPhone4 and not only I don't want to play RPG on it but also I don't want to see ppl buying iPhones to play games instead of PCs. iPhone is already an expensive toy, for the money you waste buying it you can buy a PC with sci fi performances. Consoles were already too much drastically lowering game quality, iPhones would be even more of too much.

iOS isnt just iphone, i personally love playing RPG's on the ipad, perfect for the less graphical intensive games that you might end up playing for long periods of time.

Backed :)

ROMERO IS STILL ALIVE?! :shocked:
You saying we're gonna get Daikatana2 for $1M and Daikatana3 for $2M? :D

EDIT:
Or not.
I can't believe I'm seeing this:

THIS.
All I wanted to say and then more.

I dunno, I've just got a bad feeling about this one.

I jumped all over Wasteland and gave to Project Eternity out of the respect I have for the studio even though I've never played a RTWP game I liked. But unless the sales pitch gets a heck of a lot better in the next month I'm going to pass. There's no details and it strikes me as a thrown together in execution, like it's a money grab or something.

I wish them well, but this is not one I'll kickstart. I jumped on Project Eternity in a heartbeat and this 'sounds' good, but I don't have enough faith in the developers to fund it ahead of time.

Other than Wizardry 7 & 8, I was never a big fan of the series.

Back
Top Bottom