Last game you finished, tell us about it

Ok, just finished Death of the Outsider.

I too enjoyed the differences in the Death of the Outsider and it was a sufficiently different experience from DH2. I mainly used the ability to float and leave your body to gather information about my surroundings and what is in the next room .. etc. to plan my next move. I remember that this also allowed you to put a mark where you would to physically teleport but I could not make it work!

I too enjoyed the differences in the Death of the Outsider and it was a sufficiently different experience from DH2. I mainly used the ability to float and leave your body to gather information about my surroundings and what is in the next room .. etc. to plan my next move. I remember that this also allowed you to put a mark where you would to physically teleport but I could not make it work!

It's weird, I never needed that kind of recon. Usually, if I do need to find out what's in a room, I'll just walk into it, and reload. But usually my systematic style of taking everyone out never needed that kind of planning. Yeah, and about the teleport, I pretty much just changed it using a charm to be very similar to how Blink works in DH1/2.

Just finished Disco Elysium and I'm still trying to internalise what I liked/dislike about the game. So much reading, so much information and so much emotions.

Will try to write down my impression later on.

What remains of Edith Finch. Underwhelming.

I went in with completely the wrong expectations. I read only good things about it which described it as an excellent story-driven adventure game.

You can leave the game part out. It is just a description of the family Finch. It is wonderful told and I enjoy it as such but you can't call it a game. I don't think I came across one puzzle. When I thought the prologue was over and the game was about to begin, the game actually ended. Disappointing.

As a story I also expected more. I don't mind open endings, but this was just too much. Not a single answer was given. You are supposed to view it as some philosophical musings.

Just finished Risen 2 and Risen 3. I had hesitated to play them because many people commented that they were not as good as Risen 1. After finishing them I can say that they were fun to play and everybody who liked the Gothics and Risen 1 should try them.

Play them with all DLCs, they are integrated into the game and make the game world bigger, they are not meant to play them after the main game.

Just finished Risen 2 and Risen 3. I had hesitated to play them because many people commented that they were not as good as Risen 1. After finishing them I can say that they were fun to play and everybody who liked the Gothics and Risen 1 should try them.

Play them with all DLCs, they are integrated into the game and make the game world bigger, they are not meant to play them after the main game.
I played risen I and II to completion then tried the third iteration and really didn't like it. I played for about 15 hours or so.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I played risen I and II to completion then tried the third iteration and really didn't like it. I played for about 15 hours or so.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
That could also happen, when a sequel is simply more of the same instead of improving the games before. Since Risen 1 was a long time ago for me (played it near release) and I also played the shorter Risen 3 before the longer Risen 2, I may not have experienced this fatigue. I wouldn't play a third game of the same type now...

But I am looking forward to Elex 2...

That could also happen, when a sequel is simply more of the same instead of improving the games before. Since Risen 1 was a long time ago for me (played it near release) and I also played the shorter Risen 3 before the longer Risen 2, I may not have experienced this fatigue. I wouldn't play a third game of the same type now...

But I am looking forward to Elex 2...

I think Risen 3 did improve in a few ways, although I'm not sure if it's a better overall experience than Risen 2. They added swimming which was really cool, and the exploration is better.

What hurt Risen 3 for me was that it just felt kind of generic. That, and it was too long imo. (3 is longer than 2 not vice versa.) When I got to the last island I remember being glad it was almost over, and I was expecting it would just be the end boss. Then it turned out to be another full island and a real slog too.

I went in with completely the wrong expectations. I read only good things about it which described it as an excellent story-driven adventure game.

I don't know where you read those things but it's generally described as a walking simulator, which it is. I thought it was alright as such, but it didn't hit me emotionally the way it hit some people. I preferred Gone Home.

I was fooled then :( Luckily I only lost 2 hours of my life.

I played the risens back to back not to long ago. I definitely liked 1 and 2 more. Risen 3 did feel more modern in mechanics and graphics, but felt indeed more generic (or bland). Might as well just been gaming fatigue.

I think Risen 3 did improve in a few ways, although I'm not sure if it's a better overall experience than Risen 2. They added swimming which was really cool, and the exploration is better.

What hurt Risen 3 for me was that it just felt kind of generic. That, and it was too long imo. (3 is longer than 2 not vice versa.) When I got to the last island I remember being glad it was almost over, and I was expecting it would just be the end boss. Then it turned out to be another full island and a real slog too.

Yes, you are right, I checked my steam times and they are about 80 h for Risen 3 and 40 for Risen 2. So may be my subjective impression that Risen 3 was shorter came from the "genericness" you mention: The story of R2 was stronger and so there was more to remember and therefore I felt it was longer. ;)

Some things in the game mechanics were indeed better in R3, not only the swimming, but also the fighting mechanics in my view. E.g. after dodging (rolling) it was much easier to get focus of the enemy again than in R2, where you needed to clumsily turn around before getting focus again. So there was some technical improvement in R3 compared to R2.

One thing was, however, odd for me: R2 gave a much higher resolution (3840*2160 versus 1980*1080 in R3) in the default settings and even if I choose the same resolution in both, R2 looked more detailed than R3. May be, that was again subjective or does anybody know of another explanation? I know that there was a high resolution patch for R2 once but I would assume that was only an upgrade to the quality of R3 and not something even better???

Still another observation: Normally I vastly prefer ranged fighting or magic fighting to melee and both were quite viable in the Gothics. In Risen 2 and 3, however, I found that in most fights you are forced into melee and have no real chance to get into ranged fighting distance, which was possible in Gothic. Don't remember, how this was in Risen 1.

Now, after so much talking I am tempted to try Risen 1 once again…

Last edited:
Resident Evil 7: Right up my alley. A nice linear horror story with focus on atmosphere, exploration and less on combat. At the start you really have almost no ammo which makes the game quite difficult, until you realize you can just run away. If you run into a 'safe' room the enemies actually disappear and often don't come back if you return.

For some encounters I would have liked more feedback whether guns are effective or what you have to do. Sometimes you spent all your ammo doing no damage as the event is scripted.

I have a lot of games installed that I have tried for a few minutes but couldn't really get into any of them yet:
- Greedfall: combat seemed awkward.
- Thronebreaker: discouraged by the length of the game. 30 hours of playing cards is pretty long.
- Code vein/Surge 2: souls-likes needing a lot of time investment too
- Wasteland 3: hmm, yes. This one could be next

Can anybody tell me whether Doom Eternal (or Wolfenstein Young blood) is worth it? I hear a lot of hype around doom in particular. I played it for 5 minute but found it quite difficult and too much of a wave shooter. It has been a long time since my Quake days.

Wolfenstein Youngblood is one of those “buy when it is $5” games and give it a try... I thought it was mediocre and far worse than anything else in the Doom / Wolfenstein series

You can leave the game part out. It is just a description of the family Finch. It is wonderful told and I enjoy it as such but you can't call it a game. I don't think I came across one puzzle. When I thought the prologue was over and the game was about to begin, the game actually ended. Disappointing.

As a story I also expected more. I don't mind open endings, but this was just too much. Not a single answer was given. You are supposed to view it as some philosophical musings.

Thanks for this. I've read the same things you are and that its supposed to be some sort of amazing game with a psychological depth. Never purchased and will likely give it a pass.

Can anybody tell me whether Doom Eternal (or Wolfenstein Young blood) is worth it? I hear a lot of hype around doom in particular. I played it for 5 minute but found it quite difficult and too much of a wave shooter. It has been a long time since my Quake days.

Doom Eternal is good. I've only played the first few levels so far, but the gunplay is really tight, and the visuals and atmosphere are excellent.

Did you play the previous Doom? If not, you should start with that.

Wolfenstein Youngblood is one of those “buy when it is $5” games and give it a try… I thought it was mediocre and far worse than anything else in the Doom / Wolfenstein series
Agreed.
I like the two chick-bro characters, they made me laugh, but the gameplay feels like they basically got the content of the previous game and made generic random missions out of it. I liked all the previous Wolfenstein games to a certain degree, but not enough to sit through regurgitated content for the hope of the occasional story beat.
Perhaps it's much better as a quick co-op diversion.

After having played Risen 3 and 2 for the first time I now also played Risen 1, which I had already played near release. After having quite some fun the end boss disappointed me again big time with this shitty fight mechanics, which doesn't fit to the rest of the game. And what was worse: that you can't play on after the boss fight in order to finish some side quests or talk to some important characters. There is not even a real ending sequence.

To my own surprise I have to say that after playing them all I like Risen 3 best. It has best exploration and game mechanics even though the story is not as strong as the other parts. With the DLCs it is about 80 h long, while 1 and 2 have only about 40 h (and I did nearly all side quests in those).

For fans of Gothic I still recommend all parts of Risen.

By the way: I was considering to add a replay of the Gothic parts now but I have played those already so often that I need to wait a few more years to forget more details in order to play them as "new" experience again.

Just finished Disco Elysium and I'm still trying to internalise what I liked/dislike about the game. So much reading, so much information and so much emotions.

Will try to write down my impression later on.
Whereever or whenever you do (or did) that, it would be nice if you gave me a pointer as I would very much like to hear your impression. I haven't played it yet and have no idea if it's something for me.

Whereever or whenever you do (or did) that, it would be nice if you gave me a pointer as I would very much like to hear your impression. I haven't played it yet and have no idea if it's something for me.

I still haven't had time to write something yet - work is killing me again at the moment :(

I will write something up soon (hopefully) but don't think it will be a full blown review.

AC Origins. 94 hours for main game + both dlc getting 68/79 achievements. Nice mix of Witcher 3 and Tomb Raider (reboot). Very impressed that for a game of this size I only encountered one bug where an mission objective alert would constantly ping even when I wasn't following that mission. It was like having an alarm ringing that you cant shut off!

Back
Top Bottom