Two Worlds II - Release Threatened by Legal Action

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Gamerzines reports that bailiffs are threatening to seize stock of Two Worlds II from publisher SouthPeak before the title goes on sale in October or seize the proceeds if it does end up in the shops.
The publisher, who is currently engaged in a lawsuit with CDV Software over accusations of non-payment, could have all of its stock of Two Worlds II seized by bailiffs before the game even goes on general sale, with the stock instead being auctioned off to cover debts allegedly owed by the firm.
"The question is, do we seize the stock or let it sell and seize the proceeds?" said Lawrence Abramson, partner at Fladgate, talking to GamesIndustry.biz.
Thanks Omega.
More information.

You let it sell and seize the money Duh! Business 101

Actually this raises more questions: who is the publisher, Cdv, Topware or Southpeak? If they do manage to publish will the servers be open for multiplayer?
I know most of you aren't interested because this is not a hardcore RPG but there is a month to go before release and I don't want to pre-order something in this state

I may give up on RPG's all together. One of the few RPG's i've been waiting for, and this happens.

you hold your cards close to the vest, allow them to make a $1000000, take what you are owed before they put it in an offshore bank.

Because they've shown their cards, the cat is out of the bag, Pandora's box is open, they might as well take what assets they can now before they pull a Herve and declare they don't owe them money anymore, simply because they said so.

This is what I've read. I'm not sure if it's 100% true:

CDV paid millions in advances to GameCock. Southpeak bought GameCock and got tricky with the advances. CDV had to file for bankruptcy. The liquidator is of course legally obliged to collect all the money he can. CDV already won a couple of law suits.

Southpeak cooperates with Topware. Two Worlds II is just collateral damage.

You let it sell and seize the money Duh! Business 101
It's possible that this is just an empty threat to get the legal wheels moving ahead of the release so they can claim their share of the profits more quickly. Anyone who knows anything about the games industry would know that it makes sense to let it sell normally first if at all possible, especially considering the profitability of digital sales (I don't imagine the liquidators have the right to release a digital version themselves).

It does raise troubling questions about the long-term profitability of the game and the level of technical support available to those who do buy it, however.

I believe that TopWare is the NA Publisher, hopefully they will be able to ship as scheduled.

I'm not worried about online servers, I'm buying for the SP game anyway....

Publisher wars... sheesh.

Hey Reality Pump, shareware version please?

Ship the game! Dispute the proceeds! Of course I'm biased since my way I'd still get the game in my hands.

Yeah why would a creditor not want them to release the game? Silly. They should open source the game if they find they find their hands are tied. :)

It really sucks to be a game developer sometimes, you work and work and work and pour your heart into a project…. and when it is finally almost done it gets canned, or you're forced to release it without those last minute bugs fixed……. and have to watch the reviewers bashing on your work......

The Polish branch of Topware is dead, too. Wasn't Reality Pump a part of that?

Bad news really, Two Worlds 2 looks promising. Why these bullshits always happen to RPGs and their developers.

Bad news really, Two Worlds 2 looks promising. Why these bullshits always happen to RPGs and their developers.

Same with Precursors which is a truly excellent game (much better than Mass Effect for example). It seems that it'll never have a US/EU(english) release.. many RPG fans would LOVE that game but they'll likely never get to play it or even know about it for that matter. Really sad.

I really hope TW2 will be released as scheduled in the EU, been really looking forward to it.. This is, most probably, bad news :(

Yeah, I don't think too many people would be buying TW2 for the multiplayer. Did anyone really play TW1 multiplayer?

I think I read it was supposed to have co-op as well as the other modes. This I was looking forward to

Back
Top Bottom