Red Dead Redemption

No… bummer. I assume it's under warranty?

I'm on my 4th. It's kind of ridiculous, you get to a point where you just begin to take it in stride: "Oh well, that one died too, time to send it in." At least the warranty/replacement policy made it relatively pain-free.

No… bummer. I assume it's under warranty?

I'm on my 4th. It's kind of ridiculous, you get to a point where you just begin to take it in stride: "Oh well, that one died too, time to send it in." At least the warranty/replacement policy made it relatively pain-free.

Nope, not under warranty… At least, I don't think so and I've lost the papers on it.

I'm going to have to wait until I can afford an Elite system, and I'm going for the Jasper chipset - praying it will help :'(

Nope, not under warranty… At least, I don't think so and I've lost the papers on it.

Ouch.

The only suggestion I have is to call 1-800-4MY-XBOX and ask them to check for you if it's under warranty.

I've been waiting to play this since I first heard about it two months ago. Now I've got it I'm too busy playing the Witcher. But anyway...

I had a quick look and played around with the controls and moving around and stuff. It is amazingingly cool but three things disturb me at the moment. Perhaps someone who's played it for more than half an hour can shed some light;

I can't appear to save my game. I'm hoping that's just because it's the prolog and once I've got going I'll be able to save where I want (why else would there be four empty slots). Is that the case or must I endure the checkpoint save system for the entire game?

The whole holding down the A button (on the 360) to run. That's going to get old. I mean, it's not even a toggle, you have to hold it! Is there any way around this that I might have missed? Is there something in the options I've missed, or maybe some optional DLC that gives you some config options? Anything? Anything at all?

Is there any way to turn off the gold X that marks a mission goal?

And most alarmingly of all... I was browsing through the satchel and there's an option to make camp and it says doing this refills your ammo. What?! I was under the impression I would have to buy or scavenge for ammo. One of the reasons I got so excited about this game were quotes like "ammo is rare", "survival is a big part of the game" and now it looks like you get your ammo magically replenished? Tell me it aint so!

Many thanks.

but three things disturb me at the moment. Perhaps someone who's played it for more than half an hour can shed some light;

I can't appear to save my game. I'm hoping that's just because it's the prolog and once I've got going I'll be able to save where I want (why else would there be four empty slots). Is that the case or must I endure the checkpoint save system for the entire game?

You just need to ride the prologue out. Enjoy it! It's really well done, I thought. But then you'll get access to a bed/save. That's actually where I just played to myself. It took a while to get there.

I can't address your other questions, because I've just started playing.

You just need to ride the prologue out. Enjoy it! It's really well done, I thought. But then you'll get access to a bed/save. That's actually where I just played to myself. It took a while to get there.

I can't address your other questions, because I've just started playing.

Bed save? Ok, I guess I can live with that.

Yeah, you can buy or rent places to sleep or you can set camp in the wilderness; all of these options are how you save the game.

Also, when I've set camp, I never noticed an ammo refill. Maybe it does. I can tell you that ammo isn't so hard to come by. At first it is, but if you sell plenty of animal skins and loot dead bodies then you aren't going to be running out of ammo. You may run out of ammo for a particular gun but you will probably never run out of ammo for every weapon type.

I haven't check if you can stop holding A on the horse... I didn't seem like such a big deal to me because the horse system actually makes sense.

And, I don't think there is anyway to turn off the gold X. But, really, they're so small that you can just try ignore them.

I initially had no interest in this game, but knocking around on XboxLive last night watching videos for a while, I checked out a strategy video on the game - i have to admit that the game a) looks completely badass from a graphics pov b)rekindles that feeling that I got playing Gun. There's a dearth of good western games, the only two that Ive ever played were Dead Man's Hand (straight shooter) and Gun (3rd person action).

I really liked Gun a lot, that vid really has my trigger finger feelin itchy…. and I admit seein the usually apathetic dartanigan all fired up and excited about something definitely piques my curiosity. Sorry about the RRoD-geddon there, pardner

BTW- on the subject of western-themed games, the strategy/city-builder Westward series is on D2d right now, parts 1-3 in one 7.50 package. I'm gonna give em a try

Last edited:
Yeah, you can buy or rent places to sleep or you can set camp in the wilderness; all of these options are how you save the game.

Also, when I've set camp, I never noticed an ammo refill. Maybe it does. I can tell you that ammo isn't so hard to come by. At first it is, but if you sell plenty of animal skins and loot dead bodies then you aren't going to be running out of ammo. You may run out of ammo for a particular gun but you will probably never run out of ammo for every weapon type.

I haven't check if you can stop holding A on the horse… I didn't seem like such a big deal to me because the horse system actually makes sense.

And, I don't think there is anyway to turn off the gold X. But, really, they're so small that you can just try ignore them.

I've had a play around now and you don't actually get free ammo or a horse when you camp, but you do in safe houses. There's a chest at your hut at Bonnies ranch that fills all your guns (so I assume this will be the case for all your safe houses), which I'm sorry but I find completely stupid considering they are for sale at stores. Why would you buy them if you get a free top up whenever you want?

The same with the horse. I accidentally shot mine while hunting. I walk back to the ranch on foot, go to bed, and whatdayaknow… there's a brand new horsie for me right there. Which is stupid again because why would I buy or steal one when I can get a free one any time I want? I'd prefer the game didn't hand me things like that on a platter. If I lose my horse or get it killed, I should have to deal with the consequences. If I run out of ammo, I should have to find or buy more. I shoudn't have magic house that just gives me everything I need.

You do have to hold down the A button to maintain your speed while riding, which I find odd because you can't look around, and you can't aim while maintaining your speed (unless you have two thumbs). Why not make it a toggle? Why not give options?

And is it necessary to advance time to save? Can't I just save it and not have to advance time?

I realise now the gold X's are important because that's how you interract with people, so you need them. I don't personally like that feature. It's one of the things I didn't like about GTA 4. You get a mission, drive to a waypoint, stop on the golden circle in front of a building to initiate cutscene. I'd much rather walk up to a person to trigger either a dialog or a cutscene (which it does sometimes). But I guess that's just how this game handles it. I have to keep telling myself this isn't a role playing game.

But despite that it's an amazing game. I've just been experiencing the joys of being out in the wilderness, just me and my horse, taking in the scenery… it's just beautiful.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Last edited:
Been playing it since Saturday. I think i like it more than GTA4. That it because the quests are more easily to control and i do not get lost with all those quests with no meaning. Of course that might change as the game proceeds. We will see......

I think I will pick this up for PS3, simply because online multiplayer is free on PSN. The game seems identical for both consoles in all other areas. Plus, the PS3 doesn´t sound like a vacuum cleaner when playing a game. :)

Unfortunately, I already bought Alan Wake and Halo ODST. I have a stack of games to play. *sigh* Stop releasing awesome games!!

I think I will pick this up for PS3, simply because online multiplayer is free on PSN. The game seems identical for both consoles in all other areas. Plus, the PS3 doesn´t sound like a vacuum cleaner when playing a game. :)

Unfortunately, I already bought Alan Wake and Halo ODST. I have a stack of games to play. *sigh* Stop releasing awesome games!!

About the vacuum cleaner, you could always install games to your harddrive ;)

You actually don't have to hold down the A button to gallop on horseback. You just need to tap it to get up to whatever speed you want and then it will stay at that speed as long as you are pushing forward on the stick. (edit: I just played for awhile and apparently this is hit or miss...I could have sworn it worked like this every time though)

Now on foot you do have to hold down the button to run…and it's kinda fidgety and drops you out of running anyway sometimes which is annoying.

As for the pretty much free horse & ammo…you can always just not use the hitching post or whistle for your horse and not use those ammo boxes in your room. But the way I see it there are so many fun as hell things to do they just give you the horse & ammo for free so you don't have to bother doing that every time you start the game or lose a horse. At least when your horse dies you have to wait 10 minutes to be able to whistle for it again.

@Samhain Both of the Call of Juarez games are really good western shooters (imo) and fairly cheap now (especially the first one). But they're both straight shooter type games (not quite as on rails as a call of duty game though). And of course there's Outlaws if you can find a copy. It's also a shooter and it's 13 years old so UGLY as hell but it's still a fantastic game. It works fine on XP, no clue about Win7 or Vista though, and I can't figure out how to force it to run in 60hz refresh rate so if you use a big LCD tv as a monitor it might not work on it. It's worth the trouble though. As for Gun, I just replayed Gun right before this game came out and while it was fun…this game is everything that game was and SO much more (and an unobtrusive UI). If you liked Gun you will love this game.

Last edited:
@Samhain Both of the Call of Juarez games are really good western shooters (imo) and fairly cheap now (especially the first one).

I enjoyed Bound in Blood (the second one). 2nd best Western I ever played.

The game looks a bit better on the X360 due to 20% more pixels, but it still looks great on the PS3. I own the PS3 version as well due to free multiplayer.

I've had one good online experience, many bad ones with the CoD twitch crowd.
If anyone wants to hook up on a private online server to posse up and get some trophys look me up PSN: wynams

I'm having a lot of fun. Not really advancing the story much... just moving up my ranks of marksman/surviving/etc shooting, skinning and herbing ... will be riding along, see some side-quest/event ... repeat until I run out of ammo. Ride back to town or camp/travel ... play poker until I knock all the players off the table, go to bed/save ... repeat.

I have some complaints, but this is the most fun I have had on a console in quite a while. Will be interesting to see how some of the game is handled with the co-op DLC that is coming.

Online (with the right folks) could be a lot of fun ... PSN:wynams ;)

About the vacuum cleaner, you could always install games to your harddrive ;)

I helps with the DVD drive spinning noise, but I still find the fans of the Xbox 360 loud enough to be noticable against the PS3 that is almost completely quiet most of the time! But then again, with sound on and everything, it hardly becomes noticable. I still find the PS3 games easier on the noise. It's like, you only really notice the noise when it stops. :)

But can't argue with free online. I haven't payed for Xbox Live Gold in years (but I still have the 48-hour trial card that came with Halo: ODST!).

The game looks a bit better on the X360 due to 20% more pixels, but it still looks great on the PS3. I own the PS3 version as well due to free multiplayer.

The Xbox version runs in a higher, resolution? Really? I guess it doesn't matter to me that much, because I still have a 720p LCD TV. I would think both versions run at least at 720p.

I've had one good online experience, many bad ones with the CoD twitch crowd.
If anyone wants to hook up on a private online server to posse up and get some trophys look me up PSN: wynams

Oh, definitely. I want to get this game more and more and sooner rather than later (despite my recent game collection only growing larger!). What I was wondering is, does this game allow PS3 and Xbox 360 games to play together? I fear it's a separate network, so the community from the Watch would be divided.

But definitely want to do some co-op, that would be one hell of a lot of fun.

How do you figure that the Xbox version has 20% more pixels?

*Edit* After reading several comparison articles, it seems you might be right about that. Some critics are claiming the PS3 version is only being rendered at approximately 640p.

That's very strange. I don't understand why Rockstar wouldn't want to take advantage of the PS3's technical capabilities. Was this simply laziness on their part?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom