Built-in (and shitty) auto-spell

vurt

serial 𝓶𝓸𝓭𝓭&#12004
Anyone else have this problem?

I write something.. let's say it starts with "l" and i'm gonna write "less", instead my brain automatically types something else entirely, some other common word that begins with "L" . Some days (like today) are awful, i have to correct every single post. It's usually just the one or two words which is totally off, but i'm always surprised when i read my own post.

Guess it has to do with muscle memory having too much ""CPU"" priority over actual logic..

Last edited:
Yes, I do some very strange things while typing, and then sometimes the auto-correct adds some further vandalism. Many of my posts get edited immediately or shortly after posting, when I look at them and think, "How the hell did you manage that?"

Not to that extent, but I do have a tendency to omit endings from certain words like "er" from, say, less-er - and things of that nature. My mind is working faster than my hands - I guess.

I used to make fewer typos - and I'm sure age has a role to play here. That said, I also fret about it less - and, as such, I might be able to avoid them to some degree if I paid more attention and was more patient.

I also have a strange way when it comes to forums and online exchanges. I tend to write everything "from the heart" and it's a very fast process. I only really bother to correct myself after I've written what I have to say - and as I'm an extremely (EXTREMELY) impatient person, I often click "submit reply" and it's only after re-reading my own statements that I go deeper and correct myself when I've read something in the wrong way - and if I forget a great point or two.

That's very unfortunate and I don't always manage to finish before people actually read my posts. I'm sure that's a significant amount of my points that get missed for this reason.

"Auto-spell" ... I first thought that this was going to be criticism of a game that automatically uses the spells a magician has in combat ...

I use voice-to-text on my Amazon tablet and it works well enough. Sometimes have to correct it, but it's overall quite good. On PC I don't have autocorrect enabled. Didn't even know you could do that. o_O

One interesting thing:

According to my daughter (who has studied Latin), we (think we?) do know something about how Latin was pronounced back in antiquity.

3 sources:

• Rhymes in Poetry
  • Compalints by elders about how the youth mispronounce the language

and (the relevant part):

• Spelling errors, since there is a tendency to write word like they're pronounced

pibbur which is pronounced pibbur

Really, weird that double ‘f’, when you come to think of it, isn’t it? Because you don’t pronounce it, do you? Indeed, why not use a double ‘n’, it is just as weird.
Apart from the standard combinations I use more often, I have to look it up -‘off’ or ‘of’ - in a dictionary - that is, if I don’t overlook that tiny word.

Okay. But why not ‘put the tele onn’, ‘I jumped onn the tele’, and ‘the lamp on the tele’.

It makes sense since it means something else though :p same with "to" and "too".

In Norwegian we use exactly the same word for "of" and "off".

Example:

"Han er en av mange..." = "He is one of many..."
"Skru av TV'en" = "Turn off the TV"

pibbur who usually understands what Norwegians mean. Usually.

Onn is a letter in the Old Irish alphabet. Perhaps that is what is subconsciously attempting to impose itself on my typing.

Onn is a letter in the Old Irish alphabet. Perhaps that is what is subconsciously attempting to impose itself on my typing.

Together with all those gaelic words?

pibbur who wonders if hann ever by mistake hefir ritu something old Norwegian…

PS. Apparently the old norwegian word for "a*hole" is "rassragr". Could be useful to know that. DS

Quite possibly there are similarities to Old Irish. Many of the major Irish cities were originally holiday destinations for their friends visiting from the north.

Quite possibly there are similarities to Old Irish. Many of the major Irish cities were originally holiday destinations for their friends visiting from the north.

From "Hávamál" (The speech of the high one - Odin), an old norse poem of wisdom

"Deyr fé,
deyja frændr,
deyr sjalfr it sama"

"Cattle die
Friends die
You yourself also die."

pibburr

I like it. It's like a very pragmatic haiku.

Back
Top Bottom