Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » A new gaming pc

Default A new gaming pc

November 17th, 2020, 15:21
Originally Posted by Falksi View Post
What do you chaps think to this?

https://microdream.co.uk/gaming-pc-h…saAh7hEALw_wcB

Seems like a bargain to me?
For 1080p60fps gaming of AAA titles older than a year it is. And for smaller AA and indie games it will be good enough for about 5 years.

Ivanwah

Keeper of the Watch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

November 18th, 2020, 01:28
Originally Posted by Falksi View Post
What do you chaps think to this?

https://microdream.co.uk/gaming-pc-h…saAh7hEALw_wcB

Seems like a bargain to me?
Ehhhhh, that's rubbish.

1650 is worse than gtx780. i5 4570 only has 6mb cache. You could get 8mb 11 years ago! No SSD in 2020?!

It's way behind the times. Not ready for the new console generation. It could probably run games from 2013 on medium alright.

SirJames

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
+1:

November 18th, 2020, 17:34
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Ehhhhh, that's rubbish.

1650 is worse than gtx780. i5 4570 only has 6mb cache. You could get 8mb 11 years ago! No SSD in 2020?!

It's way behind the times. Not ready for the new console generation. It could probably run games from 2013 on medium alright.
Jup. They put all the junk they can no longer sell into this PC. The CPU is slow (*), the graphics card even slower. And an SSD is a must.

(*) 4th gen i5. We're in the 10th gen now. That thing is a fossile.

Gorath

Prime Evil
RPGWatch Team
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
+1:

November 19th, 2020, 03:34
Well, the official 6800XT reviews are out today, along with the local pricing.

I'm sure everyone can find a million reviews and benchmarks, but for those who just want the short version:

6800XT looks great with performance that rivals and often beats 3080. However, Nvidia is well ahead in raytracing. HOWEVER, looking at the benchmarks I'd still prefer to run the few RT enabled titles with RT off for far superior performance.

If you're in USA its only a +$70 from 6800xt to 3080, but in Australia its at least $350 cheaper to get AMD.

The Smart Access Memory doesn't seem very impressive and in a few benchmarks the 6800 actually did better with an "old" 9900k CPU and SAM off over a 5900, which is odd.

I think for me AMD might be the winner as I care far more about traditional game performance and don't need Tensor cores for AI and stuff like that.

There is also Nvidias DLSS which is pretty neat in the games that support it, but AMD is working on something similar.

Also, if you consider that the new console generation is all AMD hardware with worse GPU than 6800 yet all claim to support RT I think we don't need to worry about RT becoming super important anytime soon. Since all AAA games will be targeting console hardware then poor RT performance is all they'll target for the next generation.

edit: Also, power use and thermals are all looking very good and more reports of excellent overclocking potential up to 2.5GHz (on the 6800xt)
Last edited by SirJames; November 19th, 2020 at 03:51.

SirJames

SasqWatch

November 19th, 2020, 04:55
6800XT has a good bit more memory, too, which could be handy in future games. (Assuming you're planning on keeping the card for 3+ years.)

Some companies making games are going to want to keep parity between the PC version and the console but I don't think all of them will. Better ray tracing may well be an important factor down the line.

(And, as near as I can tell, there's 0 support for 3D Vision in the 3000 series. Not even the driver hacks will do it. Whichever card I go for, the only way I can see my 3D screenshots will be in a VR application.)
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

November 19th, 2020, 18:25
Originally Posted by SirJames View Post
Ehhhhh, that's rubbish.

Any in-one bundle which you could recommend instead for under £500 please?
--
“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”

Falksi

Sentinel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

November 29th, 2020, 01:44
Seems everything is hard to get: 3000 series, amds lineups, etc.

I managed to score me a xbox series x at launch. Sheer luck which normally doesn't happen for me. I checked the Microsoft store one day in advance of the launch and was able to order (because of a cancellation I guess). One day later it arrived.

I have been enjoying it with game pass. If you don't have a gaming pc it is perfect. There are some issues but I have good hopes these will be resolved.

- I'm really liking quick resume which seems to be working most of the time for me. If used a lot it makes me the box a little unstable (game freezes after the 20th QR). Nothing some updates can't solve.
- crisp pseudo 4k graphics (upscaled from 1440p!)
- whisper quiet. You only hear the air moving when 5 cm away. No mechanical or coil whine noise at all
- Disney plus and all other streaming apps are in there. Kodi is still buggy.
- large 1tb storage for my needs.
- bethesda, obsidian, inxile are all owned by Microsoft and are on game pass
- having some problems with a white flicker due to HDCP, but only with disney plus.

I'm really looking forward to playing the outer worlds and wasteland 3 but I'm staying clear for now. I started with games from publishers that have a limited life on game pass
Last edited by ilm; November 29th, 2020 at 08:53.

ilm

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

November 29th, 2020, 03:25
Originally Posted by ilm View Post
Seems everything is hard to get: 3000 series, amds lineups, etc.
Tell me about it. A 30xx card is damn near impossible to get right now unless you're willing to overpay for it.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
+1:

November 29th, 2020, 09:03
TSMC reckons 3nm in 2022. Could be 2.5 to 3 times as many transistors in the same area over 7nm. Of course, zen4 was gonna be 5nm so we probably wont see 3nm appear right away. But its something to think about.

SirJames

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Tech Help » A new gaming pc