Pillars of Eternity Beta Thread

S

Sacred_Path

So, I'm waiting for the good people at Obsidian to send me my beta key. Please everyone share your impressions, good or bad.

Notice how I didn't call it the backer beta thread? ;)

Well, since I hadn't filled out my account till this morning, I haven't got my key yet either. I just bought Risen 3 and have been messing with that instead. I'll download PoE tonight and take a quick look.

Got mine and played a few hours last night. Its definitely an updated IE engine for sure. Even the keyboard commands are mostly the same. I found the environment absolutely beautiful. Combat was a bit too fast paced (I had no idea what was going on in the one battle I've done so far). The dialogue interfcae is good, I like that it shows that you've already selected an item before (its like a hyperlink, change color).

Character creation was pretty good, but I didn't read enough to know what attributes were really important to my character. So far no major bugs.

Got mine and played a few hours last night. Its definitely an updated IE engine for sure. Even the keyboard commands are mostly the same. I found the environment absolutely beautiful. Combat was a bit too fast paced (I had no idea what was going on in the one battle I've done so far). The dialogue interfcae is good, I like that it shows that you've already selected an item before (its like a hyperlink, change color).

Character creation was pretty good, but I didn't read enough to know what attributes were really important to my character. So far no major bugs.

Can't you set pauses like in BG? If I remember correctly, I think I had it set to pause on 'combat start', then I think on low health and on enemy unit death… but my memory is blurry.

Can't you set pauses like in BG? If I remember correctly, I think I had it set to pause on 'combat start', then I think on low health and on enemy unit death… but my memory is blurry.

There is a lot of auto-pause features for combat.

The problem with the combat speed is that everything move too fast. If something spot you or you spot something at a distance and have auto-pause on combat start your characters will not have the time to hit it with already loaded ranged weapons or instant spells before it is pretty much eating the face of your frontliners even if you told them to. All the combat animations needs to be slowed down.

This make everything glue together in a mop too and you end up wondering who is doing what or even if your characters are doing anything...but stuff still die, so they are probably doing stuff.

Hum, I must have missed the fact that my Collector's Edition comes with a beta key (and the clusterfuck backersite didn't help). So, I'm giving away a beta Steam key. To the first person who... makes a case for monks being cooler than paladins ;)

Character creation is fine, but not as much fun as I expected. Selecting a subrace doesn't seem to do anything right now except changing your appearance. There are dump stats for certain builds (like Resolve for mages) it seems, but that doesn't bother me as it doesn't break the game. With some finetuning those stats can be made more useful universally.

I have to say... gosh, it's not a pretty game as far as character detail is concerned. I mean... I know I backed a low budget game, but still. GothicGothicness should be happy about the fact that you can't see any faces while zoomed out. :p

Playing the German version against my will, a lot of text is missing (obviously). My characters are loaded up on things that look like bags of flour, but I have no idea what they are. Ah well. A lot of tooltips are missing as well, especially bad in the case of abilities and spells. That said, the game also needs a skill bar and a spellbook. Combat is just a clicky clusterfuck otherwise.

Combat speed, I hear you. Yes it's too fast, and slow motion is too slow. Some tweaking is needed there.

There is a lot of auto-pause features for combat.

Yup, lots of options which is good.

The problem with the combat speed is that everything move too fast. If something spot you or you spot something at a distance and have auto-pause on combat start your characters will not have the time to hit it with already loaded ranged weapons or instant spells before it is pretty much eating the face of your frontliners even if you told them to. All the combat animations needs to be slowed down.

And spaced out. With the exception of my mage, every character (mine and theirs) were all so close together that I wasn't even sure how many characters were there. They were basically on top of each out.

Two minor things that bugged me last night:

1) I had trouble getting some conversations initiated. I'd click on them, but none of my npcs would go over to start it. Not always, but several times.

2) When I first got Badlur's Gate, I realized I knew nothing about D&D, so I actually read the manual while it installed (which took something like half an hour as I did the full install). While it didn't make me an expert, I felt like I had a basic grasp of the system. Hopefully this changes for the full release, but I found no manuals (PDFs or whatever) with the game. It does have good information during the character creation process, but a manual would have been a welcome addition. Same with a quick card with the keyboard commands and such.

I do like that EVERY command seems to be customizable. I changed the quick save to Q since that was what I was used to from IE for instance.

GothicGothicness should be happy about the fact that you can't see any faces while zoomed out. :p

There is a big head mode if you want to see more details.

Hum, I must have missed the fact that my Collector's Edition comes with a beta key (and the clusterfuck backersite didn't help). So, I'm giving away a beta Steam key. To the first person who… makes a case for monks being cooler than paladins ;)

Character creation is fine, but not as much fun as I expected. Selecting a subrace doesn't seem to do anything right now except changing your appearance. There are dump stats for certain builds (like Resolve for mages) it seems, but that doesn't bother me as it doesn't break the game. With some finetuning those stats can be made more useful universally.

I have to say… gosh, it's not a pretty game as far as character detail is concerned. I mean… I know I backed a low budget game, but still. GothicGothicness should be happy about the fact that you can't see any faces while zoomed out. :p

Playing the German version against my will, a lot of text is missing (obviously). My characters are loaded up on things that look like bags of flour, but I have no idea what they are. Ah well. A lot of tooltips are missing as well, especially bad in the case of abilities and spells. That said, the game also needs a skill bar and a spellbook. Combat is just a clicky clusterfuck otherwise.

Combat speed, I hear you. Yes it's too fast, and slow motion is too slow. Some tweaking is needed there.

You could give it to me if you want to hear why it's inferior to NWN and NWN2 in terms of mechanics ;)

Only played a bit yesterday and not managed to leave that village to try some combat because of a bug (if you create a ranger, don't hire a adventurer in the inn, said adventurer will be get stuck inside of the building structure and unable to accept orders and the party will be unable to leave the village map) but is looking good for now.

Playing the German version against my will, a lot of text is missing (obviously).

You can change the language in Steam. Right click on the game in the library, select properties and then select your preferred language from the corresponding tab.

So, I'm waiting for the good people at Obsidian to send me my beta key. Please everyone share your impressions, good or bad.

Notice how I didn't call it the backer beta thread? ;)

Yeah, I rushed off to see where my beta key was...but seems you had to spend $100?! Anyway, will check back here to see impressions and let you guys work out the kinks ;-) They fast combat animations and 'clustering' sound annoying...assume that will be addressed.

I'll probably give it a go once I'm done with Risen 3. Either that or Divinity. Still haven't tried that one yet. I need more time.

You want some of mine ? $200 per hour. :) I still have to play the witcher 2

So guys and gals:

What can you tell me about this game?
(-> I have pre-ordered it, but no beta key) Pros and cons, please.

Be a bit careful giving away the beta key. It might turn out to be like wasteland where it turns into the proper key on release. Not sure exactly how it is going to work for PoE though.

Be a bit careful giving away the beta key. It might turn out to be like wasteland where it turns into the proper key on release. Not sure exactly how it is going to work for PoE though.

No. It was explicitly stated in one of the recent updates that the beta key is NOT the final key.

Lookie here...
[FONT=&quot]The Backer Beta is initially being released only through Steam and only for the Windows platform. We are working hard on bringing Mac and Linux to you guys in the next few weeks. Note that if you are concerned about linking the Backer Beta to the final product, you need not worry -- the Backer Beta is considered a separate product. If you want to participate in the Backer Beta, your final product will not be locked into Steam or Windows.[/FONT]

So guys and gals:

What can you tell me about this game?
(-> I have pre-ordered it, but no beta key) Pros and cons, please.

Not sure if the game is in a state where you can really list the pros and cons. Getting dropped at level 5 into a new settings is somewhat overwhelming.

It feels like an Infinity Engine games, but with more stat/skill check in dialog and the disposition system. I really suggest people play in Expert Mode has well, or at least disable most of the stuff in the options.

Combat needs work. Might not be a lot of work though. After replaying last night, I'm going to have to say that it's not has fast has I thought in my first try. The problem is a lack of feedback which gives the impression it is too fast because things dies and you don't know why. My druid death stared a guy to death, because the auto-attacks don't always animate but you still do damage..somehow. Seems like most of the problems are on the pathfinding (they are changing it) and this auto-attack don't display problem.

Lots of spells choices for classes and they are not shared like in D&D. There is some classics that are returning with new names. All the classes get some abilities, some selected has talents others are just class ability you gain at specific levels.

About the classes:
Priests are buff/debuff and party healers (well stamina recovery healers). They are somewhat mid-ranged in term of spell ranges. Lots of AoE buff/debuff. Very handy.

Wizards are you classic D&D Wizard except that if they aren't casting spells, wands are actually useful weapons. I like the grimoire too.

Chanters are buff/debuff/summoners. Pretty cool class, I love how you can make your own songs too. Reminds me of Vanguard Bards actually.

Ciphers are weird. Well, their spells are weird. You always need a target with a soul in it, but some of the effects are AoE. For example, there is a spells that cause a shockwave behind the target it hit. Another spells create a link between you and a target damaging anything that goes between each others. Use focus, so you have to deal damage sometimes to cast spells.

Druids are cool. Not only can you look like a giant stag or lion, but they have all those elemental spells. They are no more nature Priest like in D&D, they are really one with nature in POE.

Monks and their wounds. The wounds systems is not a bad idea, they also have nice abilities...but mine didn't live long.

Paladins are more for roleplayers. Beside a few class abilities, their main features is that they lose class-related defensive buff if they move away from their order mentality. You really have to role-play these in line with their order to be effective.

Barbarians are awesome. I like them. Things dies when they are on the battlefields.

Rangers are bugged, bu the pet is cool, but like the monk, mine didn't live long. When you play a ranger you need to watch your pet. The stamina/health pool is shared between both.

Fighters and rogues are in their classic versions. Fighters are crazy tanks though. BB Fighter is unkillable when used well.

Back
Top Bottom