Boxed vs Download 2015 Edition

• Digital Games

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • Boxed Games

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Depends I Buy Both

Votes: 22 26.8%

• Total voters
My preference remains boxed as for me the tangible element is as important as it is with both literature and music. (I treasure my vinyl collection for instance…)
It's also nicely conducive to contemplation within memory when one can easily pick up a box and peruse its contents. :)

But it is interesting how much my attitude has changed in the last 8 or so years. Essentially due to my forcible discovery of Steam in purchasing a collectors edition of New Vegas, I have slowly but surely succumbed a little in part to the digital age by buying so many cheap games during summer sales! :)

So I'm gradually moving to a position where my most favored/treasured or desirable games (kickstarters, collectors editions etc) are boxed purchases. Everything else has slowly and surely become digital. Curious to see the result in another 10 years!

I think all games should have the option of being added to your steam or GOG or uhg... Origin library. However it's really hard to download a collectors edition, which is sooper cool! Visitors still enjoy browsing the Skyrim art book on my coffee table.

For the PC, digital only from GOG or direct from developer. No DRM so I know I actually own them and can reinstall them at will. For DS/3DS, boxed for the same reason. I am a hugely late player, buy a game and play it 5 years later, so it needs to be available even if developer/publisher has gone up in smoke. So why buy for the backlog? Either to support a developer, or for the "gotta have them all" compulsion. It's easier to collect digital PC games without them taking up physical space.

Back
Top Bottom