Pricewatch!

X-Rebirth for $7.50. Or Complete for $12.50. Is either a no brainer?
Well, complete over just the straight up game for sure.

I'm not sure what all has changed in the past three years but I did enjoy the game when I played it. Mostly. The conversation mechanic could have been fun but there were *far* too few possible conversations. Exploring stations got old fast, too. The overall game was fun, though. I liked the new trading system quite a bit.

Reading up - it sounds like Home of Light made quite a few changes so my 3 year old view may not be very valid now.

When the game came out, it was HORRIFIC - even by Egosoft standards. Much of it flat out didn't work. It was shameful. That's when the majority of reviews get put up. Egosoft has been working on it for years now, though, and they've gotten the game working pretty well. I'm sure there's still stuff that couldn't be fixed because it's too embedded in the gameplay but the days when trading just resulted in ships sitting around are long dead.

Then there's the X thing. I just checked the reviews and still people are buying this game expecting it to be X4. "OMG, you can only ever fly one ship! 0/10!" It is *NOT* X4.

But, to your question, definitely no game stopping bugs. Heck, I played the thing for 180 hours! Some unfortunate design decisions but those just led to having to go through the same fool conversation dozens of times and crawling through the exact same corridors early in the game.

Now I've just about talked myself into playing that Home of Light thing and updating my old guide.

Alright, thanks for your thoughts. Even recent reviews have said the game crashed and stopped them from moving forwards. I am assuming those are the few unlucky cases then.

Ya, I watched the X4 debacle back when it came out. It's supposed to be quite a bit better now days but as you've read it isn't the same game mechanics wise as the earlier X titles. I got X3 to try and fill the void when I went cold turkey from EVE Online but it never hooked me nearly as badly as EVE did. I've considered trying X4 now that it's inexpensive but never being that much of an X3 player I'm unsure it's worth my time.

The mini-games were the end for me. It's the only game I ever quit because of the mini-games! But for 90% off, you really can't go wrong.

@KaosWarMonk; - aaacck! It's not X4! (Though X4 is in development, which is what the link is in my previous post.) You'll only be building up and flying one ship. You can own lots of other ships but you hire other captains to do that and give them orders. A lot of other mechanics changed, too.

Any hidden RPG gems in the Steam sale I missed?

From my wishlist I bought:

Ascension - 3,99€
Conclave - 5,73€
Eador. Imperium - 3,99€
Clash of Cards - 4,47€
Metropolis: Lux Obscura - 5,59€
Dust and Salt - 3,99€
The Quest - Soundtrack - 1,57€
The Quest - 3,94€
The Quest - Islands of Ice and Fire - 2,76€

Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition is 4,99€. I'm playing it atm and it scales very well to modern systems (if you don't zoom too close). I was immediately reminded why this is possibly the best CRPG ever made. The world! The dialog! The decisions! The choices! The revelations! (Combat is crap, though.)

Any hidden RPG gems in the Steam sale I missed?

I have the feeling that you are already that far off from the "core rpg", that at this point there are basically hundreds if not thousands other rpgs you could buy. Not that this is a bad thing. In the end it might be easiest to just go through the RPG-watch recommended list and see what you could like from there.
https://store.steampowered.com/curator/4973374-RPGWatch/#browse

Even though there are likely tons of other games missing in that list.
Dark Quest 2 for example. (can recommend)
Ash of Gods (not played)
Avernum 3 (can recommend)
Battletech (not played)
Dead in Vinland (not played)
Tomb of Annihilation (not played)

and likely tons of others ^^

I have the feeling that you are already that far off from the "core rpg", that at this point there are basically hundreds if not thousands other rpgs you could buy. Not that this is a bad thing. In the end it might be easiest to just go through the RPG-watch recommended list and see what you could like from there.
https://store.steampowered.com/curator/4973374-RPGWatch/#browse

Even though there are likely tons of other games missing in that list.
Dark Quest 2 for example. (can recommend)
Ash of Gods (not played)
Avernum 3 (can recommend)
Battletech (not played)
Dead in Vinland (not played)
Tomb of Annihilation (not played)

and likely tons of others ^^

Thanks for the recommendations, Kordanor!

They are all already on my wishlist or in my library. Here are my thoughts on them:
Dark Quest 2 for example. (will buy at some point)
Ash of Gods (will buy at some point)
Avernum 3 (will buy at some point)
Battletech (recommended)
Dead in Vinland (will buy at some point)
Tomb of Annihilation (not recommended; could be a nice boardgame like game, but the penalty for not exploring new tiles every turn destroys the fun imo)

And you are right, there are a lot of interesting titles if you look off the beaten path. My wishlist is still 180 strong, so I can not get (and play) everything. I started to put the stuff I really want to try into "favorites" in the Steam library and I'm already in the hundreds. So the sane thing to do would be to not buy anything for a few years...

So, lol=porc? One can always learn something new at this place... :)

Why Farming Simulator 2011?

Free games via twitch subscribers . Note that you get twitch sub free if you have amazon Prime (even 1 month free trial count)

Pillars of Eternity: Definitive Edition: July 2-4
Metal Slug 3: July 3 - August 2
The Last Blade: July 3 - August 2
Twinkle Star Sprites: July 3 - August 2
Q.U.B.E. 2: July 3-4
Battle Chef Brigade: July 4-11
Manual Samuel: July 5-12
Gonner: July 6-13
Next Up Hero: July 7-14
Uurnog Uurnlimited: July 8-14
Hue: July 9-15
Deponia Doomsday: July 10-16