Gothic 3 Gothic 3 tweaks?

The latest ge2.ini tweaks for 2GB systems
(as always: make a backup for this file, before you change something
don't copy the spaces in the numbers - there are inserted by the rpgwatch engine)

;optimize memory usage (all systems):
;use these cache settings (25% more):

Cache.SizeImage=160000000
Cache.SizeMaterial=80000000
Cache.SizeMesh=87500000
Cache.SizeSound=100000000
Cache.SizeCollisionMesh=50000000
Cache.SizeAnimation=50000000
Cache.SizeSpeedTree=12500000

; the maximum settings for 2GB Systems (ResourceCache on Medium)

; settings tweaked towards high

ResourceCache.u32ImageMaxMemUsage_Medium=96000000
ResourceCache.u32MeshMaxMemUsage_Medium=60000000
ResourceCache.u32SoundMaxMemUsage_Medium=20000000
ResourceCache.u32MaterialMaxMemUsage_Medium=21000
ResourceCache.u32CollisionMeshMaxMemUsage_Medium=17000000
ResourceCache.u32AnimationMaxMemUsage_Medium=35000000
ResourceCache.u32SpeedTreeMaxMemUsage_Medium=800000

ResourceCache.u32ImageMaxMemUsage_TextureQualityHigh=0

Render.GlobalVisualLoDFactor=1.00 ; old value 0.01

change:
FpS.Average=30.0
FpS.Min=10.0
FpS.Max=120

to

FpS.Average=20.0
FpS.Min=15.0
FpS.Max=40

EDIT: optimized
Play on Resource Cache and Texture Detail <Medium>

These settings minimize the "smartheap-out of memory error",
the performance should be better than on un-tweaked <medium> settings.

____
PS:
ignore the Spaces in the numbers - there are inserted by this forum engine.

Last edited:
@Wheres_the_Guru
This error is new to me.

The save fix program can only started once (*) - after you use it it's the best tactic to start Gothic 3 again - the filled up memory will be relased.

(*) The tool have to start Gothic 3 to live in the same adress space.

The hotkey should do the same as clicking on the button "Speicher wieder freigeben" - this feature never worked for me.

I rarely get an error message, usually the game pauses forever as if it's trying to load, but the HDD access light doesnt come on, so for some reason the computer just refuses to load anything anymore. The only way to get out of it is to reset the machine.

Can somebody explain to me what the "Where is the guru"-bug is. I've never had it (haven't had a single crash yet, guess I'm very lucky). It the error message seriously saying "where is the guru"?

lol I had no idea "Where's the Guru?" was an actual error. What an appropriate name.

That really is hilarious ... except the part where the game is crashing on you

This Guru is legendary ...

Guru_meditation.gif

the best computer ever: Amiga

I've just realised why my world has 'holes' in the landscape in places. I've increased the high detail clipping plane, but left the Render.PrefetchGridCellSize as it was, so I'm actually looking beyond the edge of the detailed landscape... into a region where no terrain has been loaded at all.

Increasing the GridCellSize does get rid of the problem... but at the expense of memory problems. Some tweaking has got me at 18000 for the view plane and 12000 for the grid cell size.

This Guru is legendary ...

Guru_meditation.gif

the best computer ever: Amiga

Agreed 100% ;) Btw, thank you from your great tweaks, it really did it very much better with my system (which i have recently updated)
Core2Duo e6300 oc'd to 2,8 ghz
Asus P5B mobo
2 gb ram
XFX 7900 gs
+ other bla bla stuff

Worked fine with the previous system too
P4 prescott 2.8 ghz (800fsb model)
MSI 865PE Neo2
Asus Ati x850xt
2gb ram
and bla bla's

You are the man HiddenX :) Now the game is much more enjoyable. Didn't do fps tweaks though, maybe i should? Running it at highest now, and it runs smoothly.

Well, my nephew wanted to have a better one, so i decided to buy myself a new system so i could give my old one to him ;) He had an old P3 800 mhz with some old graphics card. Conclusion : one guy with less money to spend in this month and one very happy :D

Well, my nephew wanted to have a better one, so i decided to buy myself a new system so i could give my old one to him ;) He had an old P3 800 mhz with some old graphics card. Conclusion : one guy with less money to spend in this month and one very happy :D

I think two guys are happy, now :)

BTW - a new version of the Gothic 3 Tuning Utility is out (click on download):
http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?p=2601038&#post2601038

Mirror:
http://www.gothic-tuning-utility.ch.vu/

Last edited:
Depth of Field (DoF) without (or less) Bloom:

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?p=2638693&#post2638693

The file IP_DOF.fx (in Gothic III\Data\Materials\Effects\ImageProcessing) can be changed:

change

// add bloom
cOut.rgb += tex2D( BloomImage, input.TexCoord0 ) * ( 1.0f - cOut.rgb );
return cOut;

to (no Bloom)

// add bloom
// cOut.rgb += tex2D( BloomImage, input.TexCoord0 ) * ( 1.0f - cOut.rgb );
return cOut;

or (smaller Bloom effect)

Code:
// add bloom
cOut.rgb += tex2D( BloomImage, input.TexCoord0 ) * ( 1.0f - cOut.rgb ) * 0.66;
return cOut;

Thanks Mud,
sigpic48006_4.gif

Last edited:
A thousand thanks for all the tweak info, Hidden X et al. I've been playing on a 1 gig system and only your suggestions helped me to make it playable. I just added another gig yesterday and changed my settings to your suggested ones for a 2 gig system and it's running beautifully now!

So if I understand this correctly only ATI users can enable FSAA? Do ATI users have the option to enable FSAA in the details menu? I never even saw the option listed in the manual or the game menu. Usually if I can't use something in a game the option is grayed out. If Nvidia cards can't implement FSAA in G3 you really have to wonder what all that collaboration with Nvidia and crew as worth. I'm pretty sure that no one would have made the conscious decision to have G3 look like a blurry, jagged-edged, and far too shinny, piece of garbage on Nvidia card. Forgive my insistence please, I just want to make sure before I get upset.

So if I understand this correctly only ATI users can enable FSAA? Do ATI users have the option to enable FSAA in the details menu? I never even saw the option listed in the manual or the game menu. Usually if I can't use something in a game the option is grayed out. If Nvidia cards can't implement FSAA in G3 you really have to wonder what all that collaboration with Nvidia and crew as worth. I'm pretty sure that no one would have made the conscious decision to have G3 look like a blurry, jagged-edged, and far too shinny, piece of garbage on Nvidia card. Forgive my insistence please, I just want to make sure before I get upset.
It's a hardware limitation for NVidia cards prior to the 8000 series (which can run FSAA+HDR). To try AA with an ATI card, force AA from the control panel (CCC or whatever it's called) rather than from the game itself.

Personally I still think this 'blurry, jagged-edged, far too shiny piece of garbage' looks great on my 6800GT.

I have the same card... perhaps garbage was a little too harsh though. Does this mean that if I turned bloom and DOF off I should be able to force FSAA by using the control panel?

I'll give it a shot, but only after the next patch is released. While we are at it, has anyone here who runs an Nvidia card had success in with forcing FSAA?

Back
Top Bottom