Tyranny - 1st Hour @ PCGamesN

1st gameplay hour, then do they have only 24 hrs left to endgame?
Actually, who said this is a 25-hrs RPG? I see many people here saying this, but I found no evidence that it is true. Is it a joke?

Last edited:
Actually, who said this is a 25-hrs RPG? I see many people here saying this, but I found no evidence that it is true. Is it a joke?

Link - http://www.redbull.com/us/en/games/stories/1331793021713/tyranny-rpg-interview-with-brian-heins
Moral and faction choices aren’t anything new in RPGs, but the other interesting part of Tyranny’s pitch is that, for a modern RPG, it’s going to be short: just 20-25 hours long for a playthrough.
Link - http://steamcommunity.com/app/362960/discussions/0/343787283761797592/

Actually, who said this is a 25-hrs rpg? I see many people here saying this, but i found no evidence that it is true. Is it a joke?

Link - http://www.redbull.com/us/en/games/s…th-brian-heins

moral and faction choices aren’t anything new in rpgs, but the other interesting part of tyranny’s pitch is that, for a modern rpg, it’s going to be short: Just 20-25 hours long for a playthrough.

Link - http://steamcommunity.com/app/362960…7283761797592/

Damn! Oh well, back to cleaning I guesses...

They left in camping supplies from PoE. *groan*
Yes but you don't need to rest to replenish anything except wounds you get by getting your characters to 0 hp during combat. You Life regenerates to full after combat and all spells and attacks are cooldown based.
It is nice to see that they didn't turn the game full casual but left at least 5% of proper cRPG design.

Actually, I don't. F2P insults my intellect. I also don't read dime novels, because I can't finish a book within a week or two.

What kind of stupid logic is that?
If I can afford a few hours per week on games, I'll play Candy Crush Saga garbage, not what's supposed to be a storydriven RPG.

Actually I bet it's perfect logic for a large portion of adult gamers.

I have a 60+ hour a week job, a wife, 2 kids, friends, extended family and other hobbies and obligations. I finish 1 to 2 games a year tops. I have a backlog of games that is probably unfinishable in my lifetime full of great games like Witcher 2,3, D:OS, POE, DX:MD, etc, etc. I've played a little of all of them but I can get pulled away from gaming for a month or 2 at a time due to everything listed above, so a 20-25 hour RPG is not a problem and actually welcomed imo.

It's not about insulting intellect.

A person that has no time for games has time for something else. And will not buy short RPG just because it's RPG. Instead will buy something else. Or will chase Pokemon.

A person who wants RPG will find enough time for it. I'll use myself as an example. I don't use my time on mainstream rubbish like Transformers although it's generally a safebet topic. There is no way I'll watch drama just because rotten tomatoes set it to 100%, I don't care about drama. I refused to watch Sorpanos and anything about gangsters or mafia, I just don't care nor want to "waste" time on stuff like that. Same goes about WW2 stuff (Black Book is an exception here, but only because it's a mustwatch_before_you_die masterpiece).
Instead, I use the time I saved for RPGs. Sure I get to talk with people who have no clue about RPGs but know every single detail about last night's episode of Once Upon a Time. Their problem. I can still talk about weather with them. I mean, why should I adapt to them? Going with the flaw was always against my nature. I refuse to adapt to horse armor, to pay2win microtransactions and to gambling. I have enough time for proper games.

A few years back, Kickstarter RPG projects were what?
A few hours long whatnot stuff were top projects? I don't remember that, IIRC the majority backed (almost) epic RPGs. We voted what we want on Kickstarter. Obsidian understood what we want and delivered it. Kill me if I spent less than 100 hours on Eternity. Instead of doing it again with another game, they decided to give us what we don't want. A dime novel, Avantenor mentioned.
Good luck with that.

Last edited:
It's not about insulting intellect.

A person that has no time for games has time for something else. And will not buy short RPG just because it's RPG. Instead will buy something else. Or will chase Pokemon.

A person who wants RPG will find enough time for it. I'll use myself as an example. I don't use my time on mainstream rubbish like Transformers just because it's a safebet topic. There is no way I'll watch drama just because rotten tomatoes set it to 100%, I don't care about drama. I refused to watch Sorpanos and anything about gangsters or mafia, I just don't care nor want to waste time on stuff like that.
Instead, I use that time for RPGs. Sure I get to talk with people who have no clue about RPGs but know every single detail about last night's episode of Once Upon a Time. Their problem.

Not sure what your talking about here as it doesn't relate to my post.

I listed important things like work, family friends. It has nothing to do with substituting one form of entertainment for another especially the stupid example you gave.

I won't blow off work, family or friends just so I can play a long Rpg which 95% of the time means 20-30 hours of original content and then a ton of filler. There's no making time for something when the time Isn't available.

I can't write memoires on something so I used an easy and fast example. Maybe I could write about beernights, pot and other stuff I do. Things you don't do.

Time is always available. Make it.

You and I have very different priorities obviously. As I said I won't short change work family and friends just to game.

Anyway, as for the game I'm still on the fence. It has to due with evil alignment and some gameplay mechanics though not the completion time.

Oh I'd jump into that evil alignment right immediately! Finally something that'd feel like me. ;)

But just one afternoon to beat it? Nah.

Where do you get your 25-hour-afternoon? ;)

An RPG is not about length, it's about choice. Of course, you can have 25 hours of choices and consequences or 50. None of them is necessarily better. But in many games it's more of 25 hours of c&c plus 25 hours of combat fillings. Or 50. Or 75. Or long travel routes back and forth. Makes the game last longer but not necessarily more interesting. Actually, that's what most games do, especially if infested with achievement quests. So I'd always prefer 25 hours with no fillings. And just because some dev says it's about 25 hours doesn't say anything about how much that game consists of repetition or fetch quests. If it's intense, I don't care. And actually most game developers don't have the skills to entertain for more than these 25 hours, writing-wise.

Where do you get your 25-hour-afternoon? ;)

An RPG is not about length, it's about choice. Of course, you can have 25 hours of choices and consequences or 50. None of them is necessarily better. But in many games it's more of 25 hours of c&c plus 25 hours of combat fillings. Or 50. Or 75. Or long travel routes back and forth. Makes the game last longer but not necessarily more interesting. Actually, that's what most games do, especially if infested with achievement quests. So I'd always prefer 25 hours with no fillings. And just because some dev says it's about 25 hours doesn't say anything about how much that game consists of repetition or fetch quests. If it's intense, I don't care. And actually most game developers don't have the skills to entertain for more than these 25 hours, writing-wise.
This!
And it is why I can replay Fo1 and Fo2 but FNV is boring. FNV wastes your time a lot, while Fo1 and Fo2 is packed with more content per 1 hour of playing. And especially more quality content.

I agree if you finish the game and go "Wow! I need to replay this game, because I'd love to see what would have happened if I had done this or that, or used another companion," than 25 hours is no problem, because it will probably turn into 50, or maybe even 75. If you're yawning at 15 hours and thinking why you are bothering killing another bear, then it doesn't matter if its a hundred hour game.
That doesn't mean Tyranny will be any good. We'll see how it turns out. I'll wait for it to go on sale and be patched.

It's not about the 25 hours but about the 8 game days. What's the fucking rush?

It's not about the 25 hours but about the 8 game days. What's the fucking rush?

Yeah I agree with you there, but the discussion on this thread so far has been about the play time and not the in-game timer. That's one of the reasons that I will wait till the game is on sale to buy it. That along with the simplified mechanics.

Back
Top Bottom