Within the Cosmos

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
Thanks for posting - I hadn't heard about this.
Looks nice!

There's a good interview here:
https://www.onlysp.com/within-the-cosmos-interview/
Some takeaways:
Has character customisation (according to the Steam page) and is influenced by Deus ex and FO:NV.
Story driven
8-10 hr campaign, and is not a sandbox world (I know some people will see that as a negative, but it's sounds like a realistic scope and is right for the price point)

Hmm. I'll see what the system requirements are, but if my toaster can run this I'll pick it up.

And some helpful responses from the dev on the Steam forums, quoted directly below:

1. Main Mission length

I had a few people play the game lately, and (of course) the estimated game length varies according to your playstyle, but if you strictly follow the main story, and do no side quests or anything else, it should be roughly 6-7 hours.

2. Main Mission + Side Missions length

Like the previous question, it will vary, but if you're going to do the main story and all of the side quests, it should be roughly 14-15 hours.

3. Do choices affect the game world?

Absolutely. The choices you make will not only affect the narrative, it will also change how people perceive your character. If you make a choice to affiliate yourself with a specific faction, and one of your companions doesn't like that decision, they will make that known to you, and they will decide to leave you. If you play as a character who decides to deal with every problem by killing, the world will react to that. Some people may not like the way you approach things, and will be reluctant to give you missions. If you're successfully helping a faction out, you may see a greater number of them patrolling, etc. Those are some of the ways that the choices you make affect the game world. There is a reputation system in the game, and the world reacts based on the reputation you have with each group.

4. Replay Value

One thing I really want to make sure that this game has, is replay value. You will eventually choose between a few different factions in the game, and each faction will take you through a different journey, and give you a different perspective of the game world. So each playthrough will be different depending on what faction you choose, and how you decide to approach each mission. Also, some of the choices available to you will depend on how you distribute and upgrade your characters attributes and skills. So, even if you choose the same faction on your 2nd playthrough, you can play as a different character who has different attributes/skills/perks, which would enable you to approach things in a different way.

5. Dialogue trees/skills

Dialogue trees are set up like they are in many RPGs. You will always have a wide selection of choices available to you when you're confronting a problem, and sometimes, you will have an even greater number of choices depending on your characters attributes, and skills. You can lie if your lie skill is high enough, or use your charisma to persuade the person to do something you want them to do, etc.

Skills are restricted based on what your characters attributes are. So if your Charisma is too low, there will be a cap on how high you can put your Lie skill, or if your Intelligence is high, you will be able to put a good amount of points into your Hacking skill, etc. Also, how you can approach things, and the routes available to you will change based on your skills. Example: you can hack into a terminal if your hack skill is high enough, or persuade someone to do something if your Persuade skill is high enough, etc.

It shows you what a game made by one person can be these days. I don't know if the finished product will be a good game, but fair play to him for what he's achieved. :salute:

Total play time of 14 hours including side-quests is going to limit how much I'm willing to spend, but otherwise cool.

A shame it's one afternoon game, but what's presented looks very good to me.
However, I'm not touching before it's tested by early adopters, too many indies get released on steam in an utterly broken state.

Well, nice thing about a short game is that you'll see plenty of people completing and reviewing it in just a few days!

Is this really one person? He's doing some impressive voice acting if that's all just him.

Well, nice thing about a short game is that you'll see plenty of people completing and reviewing it in just a few days!

Is this really one person? He's doing some impressive voice acting if that's all just him.

I heard an interview with him, and he confirmed that he is the sole developer, but used purchased assets to build the levels. That's the only way this would be feasible, I think. He may be including the hiring of voice actors in that.

It does seem a bit on the short side, at least for me, but I commend the person that was able to do this entirely as a solo project. Based on that alone, I may even pick this one up the next lull I have.

A new input about character creating and later improving inside this shortie:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/618330/announcements/detail/2667745625175515649

As you can see in the image above, there are 5 attributes in the game.

CONSTITUTION
AGILITY
INTELLIGENCE
PERCEPTION
CHARM

These are set at the beginning of the game, when you create your character. Aside from the bonuses (and penalties) you get from each attribute, they will also determine how many points your skills will begin with. i.e. Putting points into Intelligence will increase what your Medical, Engineer, and Science skills will begin at.

There are currently 14 skills in the game.

Bypass, Engineer, Explosives, Handguns, Heavy Weapons, Intimidate, Lie, Medical, Melee Weapons, Persuade, Ranged Weapons, Science, Sneak, and Unarmed.

Each time you level up, you will get skill points to distribute across these 14 skills, to help you forge the character you want to play as. When you put points toward a skill, you will get bonuses for that specific skill, and you will gain access to perks you otherwise wouldn't be able to get.

There are currently 62 perks in the game that you can use to tailor your character to your playstyle. Currently, every 2 levels, you'll get perk points to spend. Some perks have requirements before you can unlock them. An example being, if you want the Light Steps perk, you'll need your Agility attribute, and Sneak skill to be at a specific level before being able to unlock it.

With 5 attributes, 14 skills, and 62 perks, I feel like you can truly create, and play as the character you have in mind.

Back
Top Bottom