Valve Hits Disloyal Developers Who Choose Epic Games Store - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Valve Hits Disloyal Developers Who Choose Epic Games Store

Default Valve Hits Disloyal Developers Who Choose Epic Games Store

September 11th, 2019, 11:54
https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroo…s-store/zb1118

Valve has changed the terms and conditions of the agreement with developers publishing their games on Steam. The adjustment is aimed at producers who after a short presence on Steam (pre-orders) decide to sign an exclusive agreement with Epic Games Store.

was about time
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile
porcozaur is offline

porcozaur

porcozaur's Avatar
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

#1

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,477
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

September 11th, 2019, 14:34
Article was purged. What did it say ?

Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroo…s-store/zb1118

Valve has changed the terms and conditions of the agreement with developers publishing their games on Steam. The adjustment is aimed at producers who after a short presence on Steam (pre-orders) decide to sign an exclusive agreement with Epic Games Store.

was about time
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#2

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 7,158
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

Default 

September 11th, 2019, 15:24
loading…
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile
porcozaur is offline

porcozaur

porcozaur's Avatar
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

#3

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,477
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

September 11th, 2019, 15:49
While I have nothing against Epic Games, and have even bought a game from them, this is a smart and reasonable move on Steam's Part.
Maybe now Epic will bother to implement a reasonable UI on their storefront. Honestly, both Uplay and Origin have better UIs and its pretty sad of Epic to have an even worse one.
forgottenlor is offline

forgottenlor

forgottenlor's Avatar
Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

#4

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 2,166
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

Default 

September 11th, 2019, 16:02
It was bound to happen, considering the stance Epic has taken against existing platforms.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#5

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 9,935
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

Default 

September 11th, 2019, 21:39
"Disloyal" bahahahhahaha
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!
Wisdom is offline

Wisdom

Wisdom's Avatar
Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#6

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,452
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

Default 

September 11th, 2019, 21:51
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
While I have nothing against Epic Games, and have even bought a game from them, this is a smart and reasonable move on Steam's Part.
Maybe now Epic will bother to implement a reasonable UI on their storefront. Honestly, both Uplay and Origin have better UIs and its pretty sad of Epic to have an even worse one.
Yub, completely with you there. Just makes sense that they demand that the game is actually being published there after steam was used as advertisement platform, probably even development and press platform (which, if I remember correctly, is also not possible in epic store).
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Pathway
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.
Kordanor is offline

Kordanor

Kordanor's Avatar
Wastelander

#7

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,643
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

September 11th, 2019, 22:03
Fantastic video and present many of the reason I boycott epic.

Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
loading…
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#8

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 7,158
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

Default 

September 12th, 2019, 04:05
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
It was bound to happen, considering the stance Epic has taken against existing platforms.
Steam taking a stance against key sellers is also bound to happen - and has been bound to happen for many years now. Strange that it never does.

I also wouldn't be shocked if they limited forum posting to people who own the game on Steam.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?

#9

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 6,478
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Default 

September 12th, 2019, 12:52
I suspect key-seller is more of an issue with developer/publisher then the distribution (steam). The title of this is a bit misleading because this isn't really disloyal but scummy - if you use use to announce your game then you gotta sell the game here and that makes perfect senses.

Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Steam taking a stance against key sellers is also bound to happen - and has been bound to happen for many years now. Strange that it never does.

I also wouldn't be shocked if they limited forum posting to people who own the game on Steam.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#10

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 7,158
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

Default 

September 13th, 2019, 05:10
As I understand it, Valve will hand out Steam keys for free to the publisher unless they start getting crazy. That means Steam isn't getting their 30%. Of course, the publisher might not be getting as much, either, if keys they are trying to sell to poorer areas are getting re-sold in richer areas.

If Steam started charging 30% for those keys, though, it would all be on the publisher.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?

#11

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 6,478
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

Default 

September 13th, 2019, 06:18
Common sense update to their policy. But I still think their 30% cut is an obnoxious joke that deserves the competition.
Drithius is offline

Drithius

Drithius's Avatar
Laughing Gnome

#12

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 4,693
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

Default 

September 13th, 2019, 10:13
It is a historical thing. When started 30% was a bargain relative previous cuts. Having said that today it is a bit high….
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Common sense update to their policy. But I still think their 30% cut is an obnoxious joke that deserves the competition.
you is offline

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

#13

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: usa - boston
Posts: 7,158
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Valve Hits Disloyal Developers Who Choose Epic Games Store
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:08.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch