Valve Hits Disloyal Developers Who Choose Epic Games Store - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Valve Hits Disloyal Developers Who Choose Epic Games Store

Default Valve Hits Disloyal Developers Who Choose Epic Games Store

September 11th, 2019, 11:54
https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroo…s-store/zb1118

Valve has changed the terms and conditions of the agreement with developers publishing their games on Steam. The adjustment is aimed at producers who after a short presence on Steam (pre-orders) decide to sign an exclusive agreement with Epic Games Store.

was about time
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

September 11th, 2019, 14:34
Article was purged. What did it say ?

Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroo…s-store/zb1118

Valve has changed the terms and conditions of the agreement with developers publishing their games on Steam. The adjustment is aimed at producers who after a short presence on Steam (pre-orders) decide to sign an exclusive agreement with Epic Games Store.

was about time

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)

September 11th, 2019, 15:24
loading…
--
Favorite Game: Gothic II
My steam profile

porcozaur

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

September 11th, 2019, 15:49
While I have nothing against Epic Games, and have even bought a game from them, this is a smart and reasonable move on Steam's Part.
Maybe now Epic will bother to implement a reasonable UI on their storefront. Honestly, both Uplay and Origin have better UIs and its pretty sad of Epic to have an even worse one.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

September 11th, 2019, 16:02
It was bound to happen, considering the stance Epic has taken against existing platforms.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

September 11th, 2019, 21:39
"Disloyal" bahahahhahaha
--
How about all games have a single huge lootbox you pay for up front that contains all the options, items, skins, unlocks etc? I'd pay for that!!

Wisdom

Torch & Pitchfork Vendor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

September 11th, 2019, 21:51
Originally Posted by forgottenlor View Post
While I have nothing against Epic Games, and have even bought a game from them, this is a smart and reasonable move on Steam's Part.
Maybe now Epic will bother to implement a reasonable UI on their storefront. Honestly, both Uplay and Origin have better UIs and its pretty sad of Epic to have an even worse one.
Yub, completely with you there. Just makes sense that they demand that the game is actually being published there after steam was used as advertisement platform, probably even development and press platform (which, if I remember correctly, is also not possible in epic store).
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Pathway
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
+1:

September 11th, 2019, 22:03
Fantastic video and present many of the reason I boycott epic.

Originally Posted by porcozaur View Post
loading…

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

September 12th, 2019, 04:05
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
It was bound to happen, considering the stance Epic has taken against existing platforms.
Steam taking a stance against key sellers is also bound to happen - and has been bound to happen for many years now. Strange that it never does.

I also wouldn't be shocked if they limited forum posting to people who own the game on Steam.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

September 12th, 2019, 12:52
I suspect key-seller is more of an issue with developer/publisher then the distribution (steam). The title of this is a bit misleading because this isn't really disloyal but scummy - if you use use to announce your game then you gotta sell the game here and that makes perfect senses.

Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Steam taking a stance against key sellers is also bound to happen - and has been bound to happen for many years now. Strange that it never does.

I also wouldn't be shocked if they limited forum posting to people who own the game on Steam.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

September 13th, 2019, 05:10
As I understand it, Valve will hand out Steam keys for free to the publisher unless they start getting crazy. That means Steam isn't getting their 30%. Of course, the publisher might not be getting as much, either, if keys they are trying to sell to poorer areas are getting re-sold in richer areas.

If Steam started charging 30% for those keys, though, it would all be on the publisher.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

September 13th, 2019, 06:18
Common sense update to their policy. But I still think their 30% cut is an obnoxious joke that deserves the competition.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

September 13th, 2019, 10:13
It is a historical thing. When started 30% was a bargain relative previous cuts. Having said that today it is a bit high….
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Common sense update to their policy. But I still think their 30% cut is an obnoxious joke that deserves the competition.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Games » General Non-RPG » Valve Hits Disloyal Developers Who Choose Epic Games Store