The TV Series discussion thread

'Designatoed Survivor'
Sounds a very interesting what if premise. Added on "to watch" list.

Madam Secretary
No convinced after breezing through imdb chatty… Tell me it ain't just drama all over the place. I mean… Any homicide or something?

I shall have to look for Justified

Designated Survivor is going to have to pick up the action/interest or Jack Bauer's Whitehouse Down is going to lose viewers IMO. Keifer's acting is incredible in it and there's great set up for all sorts of intrigue but lawyering up over executive action does not make for exciting TV.

I have Westworld recorded. Interested when I find the time.

Red Dwarf is a cult classic and like most British programs way too few episodes. I thought X was a great season and I even like Season 7. Kochanski could work if she wasn't such a downer ruining the chemistry. But the retro feel of the newest seasons is too retro - with season 7 it feels like the show has moved forward. I can get plenty of retro from the first few seasons back when the actors still hated each other IRL. And I miss Holly. Kryten is great (he needs to work on that accent if he's trying to be Canadian) but as a servant he can't replace omniscient yet insane obi wan that Holly is.

I watched the first two The Good Place because at that point of summer even those shows were over. The subject is always difficult to pull off and they aren't quite doing it even though the premise is a really good one (although again, its just "fish out water"). I can't see any audience for this and the design looks likes its, well, a backlot of a hollywood studio.

Dark Matter season was great, less intriguing and some disappointment with the characters but if that's how the graphic novels go, what can they do. The actors got a chance to really stretch. Android has such incredible range!

I'm getting sick of CBS and only showing 5 episodes on Hulu. The CW just jumped 7 episodes of season 2 before starting season 3. Who knows when they'll put the whole season on Netflix. Luckily, Arrow just made reruns on TNT. Only problem is this Batman/Punisher 2nd reboot of Green Arrow composite doesn't make any sense. The Flash is great because there is soooooo much story to work with - the whole DC Universe was developed around the Flash and then Green Lantern. The Arrow comic reboot was an interesting premise but doesn't have much legs. The first reboot in the comics when he became some sort of ultra-liberal activist and he became the most (only) interesting character in the Justice League - he even made Hawkman interesting thanks to the feud they created.

Watched ten episodes of Luke Cage so far, it has been pretty good. I'm hoping that at some point he'll meet and team up with Rand, but since he hasn't even shown up yet, I don't think it will happen. If you liked Daredevil and Jones, I suspect you'd enjoy this one as well. The one thing I'll never understand about these shows is why they seem to distance themselves from the movies and other tv show, I would think they'd embrace one another.

My wife and I just finished Luke Cage. We enjoyed it quite a bit.

I assume there's some rights-related reasons why they distance themselves from the movies. I don't pretend to understand how it works… If you notice in Jessica Jones / Luke Cage they sometimes reference events in The Avengers movies but never mention most of the superheroes by name; e.g. Hulk has repeatedly been referred to as "the big green guy" Thor was something like "dude with the silver hammer" and stuff like that. It sounds a bit awkward so I assume it's because they aren't allowed to say "incredible Hulk" and "Thor"… Or The Avengers for that matter.

Anyway, Netflix going to have a miniseries next year called "The Defenders" which will have Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist teaming up so that should work towards embracing each other. I expect there will be a few guest appearances / crossovers on future seasons of the solo shows, too. A Punisher series has also been confirmed but it probably won't air until 2018.

Last edited:
Sounds a very interesting what if premise. Added on "to watch" list.

Hopefullly it sustains ... we will watch episode #3 on Hulu tonight (10-11PM is a bit late when you get up at 3:45AM :) ). As others mentioned, sustaining this even for a full season is going to be tricky ...and I don't yet feel compelled to care about the family in the way I do on, say, Madam Secretary ... ;)

No convinced after breezing through imdb chatty… Tell me it ain't just drama all over the place. I mean… Any homicide or something?

It has assassinations, murders, espionage and so on. The wife is ex-CIA, the husband is former military who is pulled into some special ops stuff. But still - this IS a drama focused around a US Secretary of State with a religious history professor husband and 3 kids in their teens ...

One thing I like is that while the Secretary (and husband) are pretty clearly on the liberal side, the administration is portrayed as Republican, so there is immediately conflict ... and with how they launched the second season (and got her out of being the VP candidate) also sets up for a bunch of interesting stuff.

Finally ... we watched Timeless ... snooze-fest. It is an interesting concept, but even in the pilot I was thinking about the structural weaknesses and how plodding and ham-fisted it all seemed. And that 'Sliders' was a much better show with a similar concept.

Okay I'll try the second one too when possible, not promising I'll be able to stick with it, too much of (stalling) drama kills any show for me.

About Timeless, I'm not gonna give it a shot. There are claims authors stole ideas from already existing "El Ministerio Del Tiempo" and there is a court case about it.
Maybe it's rip off, maybe not, but I'll be watching the original two seasons so far till someone confirms for sure these two shows have nothing in common.

It could be good for the first season or two, not sure how much sustainability it would have past that.

I think it's very sustainable. They already hinted that attacks might not be over, then you basically have to rebuild the entire US government. Storylines seem endless. Collapse of the economy, rioting, states seceding , attempts to take out the new president and start a different government, attacks from foreign powers since US in weakened, relations with foreign countries, etc.

I think it's very sustainable. They already hinted that attacks might not be over, then you basically have to rebuild the entire US government. Storylines seem endless. Collapse of the economy, rioting, states seceding , attempts to take out the new president and start a different government, attacks from foreign powers since US in weakened, relations with foreign countries, etc.

I would agree with your statement if the show was on HBO or AMC but the it isn't.

I see change in character's, personal drama and just down right lack of any sort of creation in the near future. He has been cheating on his wife as an example.

The problem is NBC, ABC and whatever the other one is haven't figure it out yet. So yes the first season or two are great then they think they need crap that the they think the masses loves and the show goes in the tank.

Last edited:
My wife and I just finished Luke Cage. We enjoyed it quite a bit.

I assume there's some rights-related reasons why they distance themselves from the movies. I don't pretend to understand how it works… If you notice in Jessica Jones / Luke Cage they sometimes reference events in The Avengers movies but never mention most of the superheroes by name; e.g. Hulk has repeatedly been referred to as "the big green guy" Thor was something like "dude with the silver hammer" and stuff like that. It sounds a bit awkward so I assume it's because they aren't allowed to say "incredible Hulk" and "Thor"… Or The Avengers for that matter.

Anyway, Netflix going to have a miniseries next year called "The Defenders" which will have Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist teaming up so that should work towards embracing each other. I expect there will be a few guest appearances / crossovers on future seasons of the solo shows, too. A Punisher series has also been confirmed but it probably won't air until 2018.

Yes, this licenses and everything. They're already making two separate Spider-Men because of competing studios and licensing - so that's now four Spider-Men, three Hulks, two (or three?) Punishers, two Daredevils.

Marvel TV and Movie is supposed to be the same universe but I suspect the third reboot of the Spider Man movies is different.

DC has decided not to bother, seeing as Deadshot is dead on Arrow/Flash Earth 1 and 2. That doesn't mean you can't resurrect him or create a new one. They already have two Dr Lights!

Speaking of DC they don't make no mention of Batman there either for the same reason but reference it a few times. I'm pretty sure the Gotham universe is different from the CW world.

Speaking of CW - Supergirl has moved over there. This completely gender swapped version of Superman (Lois Lane is now jimmy Olsen! She even wears glasses instead of a wig!) had some promise but its feminist agenda is a put off.

That guy who played Clark Kent on Smallville may show up to play Superman (and again on Licensing - the Joe Siegel family has been suing regarding the rights to Superboy which they never gave to National. If it wasn't for Bob Kane he could have died as rich as Walt Disney!). So far they only show Superman's boot!

It could be interesting to see if they could merge the two earths - perhaps a "Crisis" ?

Hopefullly it sustains … we will watch episode #3 on Hulu tonight (10-11PM is a bit late when you get up at 3:45AM :) ). As others mentioned, sustaining this even for a full season is going to be tricky …and I don't yet feel compelled to care about the family in the way I do on, say, Madam Secretary … ;)

Finally … we watched Timeless … snooze-fest. It is an interesting concept, but even in the pilot I was thinking about the structural weaknesses and how plodding and ham-fisted it all seemed. And that 'Sliders' was a much better show with a similar concept.

As I said, Kefier is going to need to Jack Bauer it up a bit or he's going to lose his audience. If you TL;DR'd me, I said calling in the lawyers to solve an independence move was a lot less exciting than sending say, sending in the troops would have been. He did the same thing with the Iranian Ambassador (which was a subtle reminder this was a work of fiction).

I would agree with your statement if the show was on HBO or AMC but the it isn't.

I see change in character's, personal drama and just down right lack of any sort of creation in the near future. He has been cheating on his wife as an example.

The problem is NBC, ABC and whatever the other one is haven't figure it out yet. So yes the first season or two are great then they think they need crap that the they think the masses loves and the show goes in the tank.

Y'now, there's been a lot of White House shows these days…

As for Timeless..isn't CW doing the same with thing with Legends of DC Universe?

As for Timeless..isn't CW doing the same with thing with Legends of DC Universe?
Timeless:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5511582/
It's been acused of plagiarizing the awarded spanish TV show "El Ministerio del Tiempo" (Ministry of Time), which has also three main characters, two males and one female, tasked with stopping villains that try to change history through time travelling. Indeed, NBC has been sued for this matter.

DC Legends of Tomorrow extended trailer for season 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLHj1-gE488

Two totally different shows. Or three if court rules Timeless is not stopen IP.

Saw episode 2 of Westworld. Intriguing as always. It just seems to get better and better. And we certainly need to see more of Ed Harris. His character just oozes mystery.

Reminds me a bit the short-lived series Dollhouse (2009), but better. Definitely holding my interest so far.

As I said, Kefier is going to need to Jack Bauer it up a bit or he's going to lose his audience. If you TL;DR'd me, I said calling in the lawyers to solve an independence move was a lot less exciting than sending say, sending in the troops would have been. He did the same thing with the Iranian Ambassador (which was a subtle reminder this was a work of fiction).

I read your full post :) I am just not sure I fully agree - they were clearly trying to have him take a diplomacy position, which has both succeeded and failed him over the first few episodes. They have worked on the 'tough guy' angle a bit, but not too much so far. That approach definitely has potential, but at the same time this isn't like the Harrison Ford movie "Air Force One" :)

I watched the first 3 episodes of Designated Survivor and its pretty solid so far. I am big sucker for mystery/thriller shows so I hope this doesn't go down the drain.

I hope his son doesn't turn into an emo kid and do all stupid stuff. Also he keeps thing in his pants and not bang his "assistant" etc since this kind of crap is what usually ruin good thriller!

Westworld seems to only be getting better. I'm hoping that at some points the show might incorporate more elements from the movie, but for right now I'm quite happy with it all. And, as always, poor Ken......I mean, Teddy!

While me and my wife are waiting for the continuation of the best TV shows ever (Game of Thrones and Fargo), we'll probably be watching "The Night Of". Also looking forward to House of Cards. While I still like Kevin Spacey, it's a biiiit tiring, because in the end they always win.
Oh Fargo. It has the typical slightly satirical epicness, slightly exaggerated epic music, typical Coen dialogues, it's fantastic. Super great scene e.g. in No Country for old men, the coin toss (for the old man, a coin toss over his life).

Last edited:
Continue to enjoy both 'Designated Survivor' and 'Madam Secretary' (though the last plot line was a bit overly contrived)

... and also gave Timeless another shot. I will say that it was better than the initial episode ... but that is a low bar. Problem is that it isn't interesting enough to love or hate. Last year we watch 'Mysteries of Laura' a cop dramedy with Debra Messing that lasted two seasons ... and we caught most episodes, sometimes live, sometimes on Hulu, and never chased episodes we missed. It was filler.

Back
Top Bottom