Empire of Sin - Review @ Shacknews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Shacknews has reviewed the Strategy-RPG Empire of Sin:

Empire of Sin review: A strategy you can't refuse

Romero Games and Paradox Interactive's new strategy game takes players inside the criminal underbelly of Prohibition-era Chicago as a gang leader looking to take over the city.

Strategy games have run a gamut of topics over the years between fantasy, sci-fi, historic civilizations, and ancient and modern wars to name a few. There have been quite a few subject matters tread and retread in real-time, turn-based, and/or 4X strategy, but Romero Games and Paradox Interactive are using a very particular setting in their latest endeavor. Empire of Sin is a strategy-RPG hybrid that focuses in on the 1920s era of Prohibition in Chicago, when alcohol was illegal and criminal organizations were looking to build underground empires under the nose of federal law enforcement. Your role? An up-and-coming gang leader looking to create your own empire and take all of Chicago as your own. More than just adding another unique backdrop to the strategy genre, Empire of Sin brings tycoon and tactics gameplay to being a 1920s Chicago gangster in very fun and interesting ways.

[...]

There's a lot going on in Empire of Sin. Romero Games and Paradox Interactive build quite a hybrid of business management, character growth, and turn-based combat, and the 1920s Prohibition-era backdrop makes for an interesting story. The gang leaders are varied in so many ways between their business, combat specialties, and personal stories. Meanwhile, the overall flow of business expansion, hostile takeovers, and diplomacy or confrontation with other gangs also makes for a mostly engaging gameplay loop. Empire of Sin doesn't always keep it riveting. There are sometimes lengthy stretches of repetition in combat and business between the highs of the game and the stiff acting and character interactions are extremely noticeable. Even so, overall, Empire of Sin is a racket I'll easily go back to over and over again as I figure out each particular crime lord's path to an undisputed throne of 1920 Chicago's booze biz.

Score: 8/10

Pros

• Great variety of gang leaders & factions
  • Good mix of tycoon, turn-based combat, & RPG elements
  • Unique story questlines for each faction leader
  • Variety of gameplay styles and progression to pursue
  • Major confrontations with rival factions are intense
  • Plenty of non-faction missions to explore alongside business
Cons

• Non-major combat can get repetitive
  • Mid-to-late game business can also be repetitive
  • Voice acting and character model interactions are stiff
  • Some faction questlines are very short
More information.

The strategic global map is the part that I hate in XCom and Phoenix Point. This game seems to go the extra mile expaanding the management aspect.

I guess that I just don't appreciate multitasking in a game.

reviews range from 4 to 9, so it might be just derp journos; game still has serious bugs from what i read

I really don't know what to make of this game, seems as if they pourred different games into one, like a theme park with combat and sidequests. Are those appealing to the same audience?

I'm curious but not convinced yet :) Maybe it's what @Gwendo; said, I'm not too much of a multitasker either.

Time to buy as I love games like this. So off I go to play till Cyberpunk 2077 is released then I'm going quiet for at least a week. So fingers crossed it's not delayed again.

On the topic of multitasking I love it. Go play Supreme Commander and come back when you guys Lv Up. As this game is an Empire builder and a 4X game not set in space.

Time to buy as I love games like this. So off I go to play till Cyberpunk 2077 is released then I'm going quiet for at least a week. So fingers crossed it's not delayed again.

On the topic of multitasking I love it. Go play Supreme Commander and come back when you guys Lv Up. As this game is an Empire builder and a 4X game not set in space.

Let us know how it is. It's on my wishlist, but I'm playing through my backlog...

Yes, do tell us, it would be interesting to have an "insider"'s opinion!

Some reviews can't have enough praise for it, others urge not to buy it. I suppose it's atypical enough, or niche enough ;) From what I gather, it's a very cool idea, but probably needs tuning to make it more challenging.

Yeah, heared the same, shallow story, boring combat. Probably going to skip that one.

Gameplay quickly got boring according to negative reviewers, some of whose reviews got a lot of likes Steam. After reading them, I scrapped my plans on playing this game yet. Maybe by Christmas 2021.

Back
Top Bottom