Dragon Commander - The cost of dialogue

>>OTH, game production is global and when you figure in all the languages that have to be used, then I guess the cost rises dramatically. If I was the developer I would probably go the local actors route (college or community playhouse) and place my trust in the game's vocal director.<<

Heheh, we tried that with Beyond Divinity and I don't think we want to repeat that experience ;)

Div Div one of my favs, Beyond Divinity one of my worst.

When it comes to voice acting, I don't blame the actors I blame the voice director.

While Dragon Commander isn't on my radar, I still think voice acting is an integral part for a game's success in today's market. If you want to stay niche, then go with partial VO. If you want to compete with the AAA boys, then I'd say high-quality voice overs are mandatory.

I would think developing a game like Dragon Commander would keep Larian firmly in the niche group, but I've been wrong before. I'd love to see Divinity 3 try to match what we got with Skyrim, but I don't think it's feasible. I just hope DC doesn't kill Div3!

Personally, I think partial voiceovers work a treat - like DraSa 1 and to some extent the Infinity Engine games. They establish the character but don't restrict the development too much - and I usually read ahead, anyway.

Still...I wouldn't make a modern game without VO - it's expected. I've seen people in forums asked if their copy of DraSa was bugged because they could only hear the first line!

I've seen people in forums asked if their copy of DraSa was bugged because they could only hear the first line!
But that was very likely due to the presentation issue I mentioned earlier.
I don´t think anyone thought it was a bug in Mask of the Betrayer :).

Most MMO's get away with voicing the first line of dialog (if even) and leaving the rest as text. It can't be that alien a concept to people.

I cannot wait for accurate voice synthesis so people can finally get back to complex branching storylines.

Most MMO's get away with voicing the first line of dialog (if even) and leaving the rest as text. It can't be that alien a concept to people.

I don't think that MMOs get away with it as much as that it is a necessity of the massive amount of uninteresting and same-y quest text they throw on the player. I really don't need to hear "Collect 10 wolf furs" for the 20th time. :)

Back
Top Bottom