|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - ICY Review

Default RPGWatch Feature - ICY Review

February 22nd, 2018, 00:01
For his next review, forgottenlor decided for something colder and checked out the Frostbite edition of ICY.

I'm nearly out of medicine and that's not good. In the post-nuclear winter world of ICY, medicine is the only way to heal your wounded party members, and it's pretty difficult to find throughout most of the game. So I set about trying to scavenge ruins that don't seem too dangerous, because the last thing I need is to get into another fight with no way to heal up. I really hope that I find some disinfectant or bandages, as those raise up my medical supply. No such luck. I move to the next point on the map and hope I don't trigger another event, since Carlos and Mobolaji seem to be at each other's throats, and while I'd be willing to banish Carlos from the group, I'd rather not lose his wife April. Luckily, no event is triggered, but I do find a house. There is a hole in the floor, but luckily, I have a rope, which I can sacrifice to explore the hole. Inside I at least find some chemicals. With those and some cloth, I can be craft bandages. My medicine supply goes up from 8 to 9. A small victory, but a victory nonetheless. ICY is a survival-RPG, which despite its low budget manages to pull off what few other low budget RPGs do, namely being a full blown RPG, with the all the RPG elements you could wish for, but within a fairly limited scope.
More information.
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

February 22nd, 2018, 00:01
Thanks forgottenlor!
--
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. Douglas Adams
There are no facts, only interpretations. Nietzsche
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. Oscar Wilde

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

February 22nd, 2018, 00:49
Thanks for scratching my curiosity itch, forgottenlor. It sounds like a worthwhile purchase and the Steam price ($13) is pretty low.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

February 22nd, 2018, 01:45
I tried it but felt like I was watching someone else play a game while I offered occasional suggestions. However, I returned it before the two hour mark so I only saw 1/4 of the game.
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut

crpgnut

Grumpy Role Player
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

February 22nd, 2018, 07:58
I played the first version some time ago and liked it. Was then distracted by something else.
The card mechanics are new in the Frostbite Edition and sound interesting. Will have to try again at some point.

Darkheart

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

February 22nd, 2018, 16:49
Thanks for the review @forgottenlor ! Nice job ! I tried the Frostbite edition and I did not like it at all. Far too shallow of an RPG experience for my liking.
--
"You may be a doctor. But I'm THE Doctor. The definite article, you might say."

beldurax

Old RPG Addict

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

February 22nd, 2018, 17:32
I keep meaning to pick this one up, and then forgetting to do so, to at least give it a try. Must do better at remembering!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

February 23rd, 2018, 15:27
Thanks to everyone who read and commented! I appreciated it.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

February 23rd, 2018, 15:31
Originally Posted by beldurax View Post
Thanks for the review @forgottenlor ! Nice job ! I tried the Frostbite edition and I did not like it at all. Far too shallow of an RPG experience for my liking.
I can see that. I find it makes up in breadth what it lacks in depth, but for someone who wants real mechanical complexity Icy is probably not the best choice. I also think a lot of CRPGS have somewhat comparable depth in their first 8-9 hours, with more complex character building options opening up later in the game. Icy ends before it gets to that point, which I forgave it considering its budget and ambition.

forgottenlor

Font of Useless Knowledge
RPGWatch Team
RPGWatch Donor

February 24th, 2018, 21:19
I also liked the game quite a lot.
A good example for a game that actually achieved what it set out to do with a very limited budget.

Especially the combat - so much achieved with so little spent on assets.

TheSHEEEP

Sentinel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

February 24th, 2018, 21:31
Another great review! Thanks, @forgottenlor
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

April 19th, 2018, 14:19
"ICY's writing, story, companions and atmosphere are well done, well enough so that they carry the game. On the other hand, ICY offers nothing that we have not seen in other games. Nor is there any surprising plot twists like one experiences in the best-written role-playing games."

I totally agree with this but also want to add that the writing IS the game in this case, since it is not resting on its graphics or action-oriented gameplay. What I thought the game excelled at (having played the original and the re-issue) was ATMOSPHERE. It really made you feel part of that world - I actually felt cold playing the game. I think it accomplished this because it relies more on your imagination, like older RPG games like Bard's Tale I-III, and imagination activates more feeling in the gamer. So I think if like that older style of gaming, this is gametime well-spent.

Augie Wolfe

Traveler
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » RPGWatch Feature - ICY Review